Missing Watched Indicator

kingy444

kingy444

It appears one of the recent updates may have wiped the ‘tick’ used to indicate a series was completed or watched.

You still have the Number indicator for unwatched episodes, but the completed ones have nothing.

Movies still have ticks to indicate they have been watched - this seems limited to the iOS app as web UI still has ticks

This is a design decision that we have made. Our TV series views have previously been drawing attention to both watched and unwatched by putting indicators on both. Going forward, we feel it makes it easier to find unwatched content by only using count indicators for seasons and series.

kingy444

This is a design decision that we have made. Our TV series views have previously been drawing attention to both watched and unwatched by putting indicators on both. Going forward, we feel it makes it easier to find unwatched content by only using count indicators for seasons and series.

Mmm - not something we could keep in user settings so those of us who like it can keep it on?

Turn off by default (in line with your decision) and a checkbox to turn it back on?

Edited by kingy444

Mmm - not something we could keep in user settings so those of us who like it can keep it on?

Turn off by default (in line with your decision) and a checkbox to turn it back on?

Why do you like it?  Or, perhaps, is it just that you are used to it that way?  That's understandable as people generally don't like change.

However, isn't it a lot easier to identify the series with unwatched content at a glance when every single item on the screen doesn't have a little green circle on it...?

kingy444

Why do you like it? Or, perhaps, is it just that you are used to it that way? That's understandable as people generally don't like change.

However, isn't it a lot easier to identify the series with unwatched content at a glance when every single item on the screen doesn't have a little green circle on it...?

If I had to try and work out why I like it there are probably 3 reasons

1 is definitely that’s what I’m used to

2 would be a bit to do with liking an acknowledgement that something is finished, I blame Xbox achievements for this

3 and most importantly to me would be consistency across the server - movies that are unwatched have no indicator, and completed have a tick. So with the new way it now seems like series are unwatched when they are actually completed

Isn't what you really care about, locating series for which you have unwatched content?  Isn't that a lot easier to find now...?

kingy444

Isn't what you really care about, locating series for which you have unwatched content? Isn't that a lot easier to find now...?

When you have a bunch of content it’s not that much of a benefit to me compared to consistency throughout the server - I would expect TV, Movies etc to all behave the same if they are ‘watched’

If I need to find a series with unwatched content I either use Next-Up or the filters available to hide watched content.

Consistency was always something I had drilled into me when I was doing interface & software design in UNI so it’s stuck with me.

It isn't truly inconsistent as you are looking at completely different types of items here.  It isn't different for TV and Movies - it is a difference between containers and individual items.  Individual episodes still show the watched check.

The inconsistency would be that we show watched indicators on the single items as opposed to highlighting the unwatched ones.  So, what we are drawing attention to (with an indicator) is kind of the opposite in the two scenarios.

You can make a case for us showing "Unwatched" or "New" indicators instead of watched ones but I feel that would be too large of a change for our existing users at once.  It is probably something we should consider, however.

kingy444

Yea that sort of view makes sense @@ebr

For me I think it would be nice to have the option there. Understand you guys make the design decisions (and most of them are great) it’s just hard to please everyone. Greatfull if you consider but understand there are higher priorities

May be worth including some of these design decisions in the change log? See plenty of ‘fixes’ and ‘improvements’ but Couldn’t see and ‘ui changes’ before I posted here.

• 5 years later...
Johdal

Sorry for pitching in to a topic this old, but one of the reasons I would like to see it restored is for consistency within collections. If a collection brings together a mix of movies and TV series, then unwatched movies and watched TV series look exactly the same - i.e. no tick displayed. This inconsistency looks awful and is confusing within the collection. 

An option to restore it would be nice.

7 minutes ago, Johdal said:

Sorry for pitching in to a topic this old, but one of the reasons I would like to see it restored is for consistency within collections. If a collection brings together a mix of movies and TV series, then unwatched movies and watched TV series look exactly the same - i.e. no tick displayed. This inconsistency looks awful and is confusing within the collection. 

An option to restore it would be nice.

HI, what do you mean within the collection? Once you get inside the collection you can see the state for each individual item, right?

Johdal

Hi there. Yes, of course, if you click on a TV series you will see that all episodes have been watched. But until you click on it you have no idea whether it's an unwatched movie or a fully watched TV series. They both look the same. (Obviously the situation is more straigtforward with watched movies and unwatched TV series - then you get a tick for the movie/number of unwatched episodes for the TV series)

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Johdal

Just to elaborate, suppose I create a collection such as ‘Agatha Christie Adaptations’ / ‘Charles Dickens Adaptations’ / ‘Career of Actor X’. All of these are likely to have dozens of entries, and possibly equivalent numbers of both movies and TV series. 
If I then look at the collection, for each entry I will see one of three things:

- A tick mark (watched movie)

- A number (of unwatched TV episodes)

- No indicator at all. Now it’s confusing because this can be EITHER an unwatched movie OR a fully watched TV series. At this point there is no visual way to determine the status of the content - it is necessary to select each item. 

I appreciate that your design decision makes absolute sense when dealing with TV only collections, i.e. it makes it easier to see unwatched content. The problem arises when you have a collection with mixed content. 

I love the way Collections work in Emby; Being able to select items from different libraries and have them appear side by side in a collection is exactly the feature that brought me from Plex to Emby. (In Plex you can’t do this, there’s only a cumbersome workaround of creating same-named collections for each library, which it then displays badly). The only thing missing to make Collections perfect is the option to switch on ticks for fully watched TV shows. This would remove the mixed-content confusion. 

kingy444

My view was all about consistency 

Movies have no icon if unwatched and a tick if they are watched

tv series are reversed, with an indicator if unwatched and nothing when watched

Not sure exactly what the answer is here as the two content types cause this, but it causes UI disruption to me, having to adjust and workout what the media type I’m looking at is telling me

• Like 1

Johdal

Yes, I agree completely. It's inconsistent. 

I take the developers' point about it being easier to quickly identify unwatched episodes if there is no tick mark for a fully watched TV show, but that's only useful when it's *only* TV content that's in the collection.  As soon as the collection's content becomes a mixture of TV and Movie, the inconsistency makes it more difficult to navigate.