Best streaming client after Nvidia Shield

mark235

I've decided to give a dedicated streamer a go.

I read the opinions on the Nvidia Shield, and got ready to purchase it, only to find out that it doesn't have SPDIF output. I need this for my non HDMI processor.

What would be my next best option? A Roku Ultra? 

What I'm looking for:

- proper SPDIF output (coax or optical). for the Nvidia Shield I would need a USB > SPDIF converter or HDMI Audio Extractor. Neither are ideal.

- best possible Emby client experience

- netflix 4k and spotify support

Getting an HDMI processor or receiver isn't an option at this time (too hooked to my ancient Classé SSP-75. Haven't heard any affordable HDMI device that could remotely  beat it in 2 channel audio).

Edited by mark235

KarlDag

As far as I know, no new streamer supports it. I'd go with an HTPC that has optic out. I know old mac minis did... Maybe a raspberry Pi, I don't know much about them

clarkss12

If you live in the United States, Walmart has a new device called the Jetstream 4K. It has a toslink port and run Google Certified TV OS.

• Like 1

clarkss12

I posted a YouTube video about this new Jetstream box, a week or so ago.It plays Netflix in 4k with Dolby Digital Plus.

• Like 1

As far as I know, no new streamer supports it. I'd go with an HTPC that has optic out. I know old mac minis did... Maybe a raspberry Pi, I don't know much about them

The Roku Ultra has an optical out, supports Netflix 4k and the necessary DRM, and has an Emby Roku Channel. Not sure about the quality of the Emby experience though?

I'm using an HTPC right now (NUC), which is very flexible, but also has it's gripes and issues, mostly Windows related.

If you live in the United States, Walmart has a new device called the Jetstream 4K. It has a toslink port and run Google Certified TV OS.

Looks like a lot of value for the money, but what about the Netflix DRM support? (Widevine). Will it play Netflix 4k, or revert back to SD?

Edited by mark235

IMO - I would look into replacing the audio equipment first.  That connection is going to limit you to only the most basic audio formats and will be harder and harder to support going forward...

clarkss12

The Roku Ultra has an optical out, supports Netflix 4k and the necessary DRM, and has an Emby Roku Channel. Not sure about the quality of the Emby experience though?

I'm using an HTPC right now (NUC), which is very flexible, but also has it's gripes and issues, mostly Windows related.

Looks like a lot of value for the money, but what about the Netflix DRM support? (Widevine). Will it play Netflix 4k, or revert back to SD?

It plays Netflix in 4k.... Direct replacement for the Xiaomi Mibox.

• Like 1

IMO - I would look into replacing the audio equipment first.  That connection is going to limit you to only the most basic audio formats and will be harder and harder to support going forward...

Well, in order to keep the level of sound quality I now enjoy with the Classé SSP-75, I'll have to dish out 2 - 4 k for a second hand high end HDMI processor. Perhaps a Lexicon MC12HD or SSP800. That kind of money isn't an option now, so I'll have to work around the SSP-75's restrictions. I recently compared it to a Marantz AV8802a, and the Marantz came up short by a long stretch. Sound quality was tinny and harsh compared to the SSP-75. Sure, not having HDMI is a pain sometimes. Perhaps more often than sometimes. But as long as SPDIF sources still exist, I'll happily forgo features for sound quality, and look for a decent SPDIF source. 

It plays Netflix in 4k.... Direct replacement for the Xiaomi Mibox.

I had missed that this box actually runs Android TV. That's excellent. Feature wise it looks like it's ticking all the boxes, and performance looks just fine too. 

Thanks for linking the video review, it gave the info I was looking for.

Edited by mark235

Well, in order to keep the level of sound quality I now enjoy with the Classé SSP-75, I'll have to dish out 2 - 4 k for a second hand high end HDMI processor. Perhaps a Lexicon MC12HD or SSP800. That kind of money isn't an option now, so I'll have to work around the SSP-75's restrictions. I recently compared it to a Marantz AV8802a, and the Marantz came up short by a long stretch. Sound quality was tinny and harsh compared to the SSP-75. Sure, not having HDMI is a pain sometimes. Perhaps more often than sometimes. But as long as SPDIF sources still exist, I'll happily forgo features for sound quality, and look for a decent SPDIF source. 

Okay, but you'll be restricted to just plain DD and DTS formats so, in a quest for the best sound quality, you will not be able to use the much higher resolution sources available.

I have a 5 channel Lexicon amp sitting in a box in my attic somewhere... ;)

• Like 1

Jdiesel

Keep the Classé

Roku Ultra is a decent option that should check all the boxes as I believe Spofity is back again.

What display do you have? Have you tried using the spdif out on your display and passing the DTS/DD from your hdmi source device?

• Like 1

sluggo45

Emby runs very well on the Rokus, especially the Ultra. 4k w/HDR (in Emby, also supports it for Netflix, etc.) and I really like the seeking functions of the Roku player. If you take the time to install the Roku Thumbnails addon for Emby and run it you'll get the same seek/scrobble experience other apps like Netflix have with your media.

I switched away to it from the Shield and am very happy with it. The Roku UI is nothing to write home about but is perfectly functional (and apps are where you spend your time anyway and they all have been updated to match other streamers) and since they updated last year the Emby UI is also nice. And Live TV supports grid view, something even the Plex Roku app doesn't do.

• Like 1

​Roku Ultra (2016) : https://www.ebay.com/p/Roku-Ultra-5th-Generation-HD-Media-Streamer-4640RW-VUDU-Edition-Black/241902702

If that doesn't do the trick all I can recommend is the Sony x800 or Sony x700 4k BluRay players. They have most apps and have two hdmi outputs....one for older AVR's.

The Sony BD players have quite some apps, but unfortunately only Spotify Connect, no large screen UI. The wife would like a Spotify interface she can browse from the tv, without having to use the tablet or mobile. Also, getting a BD player without the intention of playing BD's feels a bit... off...  :).  And since there's no Emby app, I'd be restricted to DLNA, which isn't my favorite option.

Okay, but you'll be restricted to just plain DD and DTS formats so, in a quest for the best sound quality, you will not be able to use the much higher resolution sources available.

I have a 5 channel Lexicon amp sitting in a box in my attic somewhere... ;)

High resolution audio doesn't help much if the rest of the AV receiver / processor design is mediocre. It'll take audio quality up to the last step, if all the other prerequisites are met, but it isn't the first one. Digital to analog conversion, analog processing, there's a lot more area's that determine how things will sound. Putting an HDMI board in a piece of gear that cuts corners in those area's will give you decent, but not great sound. There's a reason why the SSP-75 cost $12000 back in the days. It's because alll the attention went to these other area's, and it can push the performance of lossy DD and DTS streams to the max. Beyond the performance of a lot of HDMI gear.

It's not that I'm living in the past. I honestly wanted the newer HDMI processors to sound better, cause that would simplify things for me. But after owning an Emotiva UMC-1 + Anthem MRX-710, and testing 2 Marantz processors, I'm not convinced that HD Audio is a holy grail by itself. 

Out of curiosity, which piece of Lexicon gear did you previously use, and what are you using now?

Keep the Classé

Roku Ultra is a decent option that should check all the boxes as I believe Spofity is back again.

What display do you have? Have you tried using the spdif out on your display and passing the DTS/DD from your hdmi source device?

I have a Samsung UE60J6200 TV. I believe it supports passing an optical signal back out from the TV, but not sure if that's 5.1 or only stereo. It's a good solution for TV use, but I've also got a projector, and it won't help there. 

Emby runs very well on the Rokus, especially the Ultra. 4k w/HDR (in Emby, also supports it for Netflix, etc.) and I really like the seeking functions of the Roku player. If you take the time to install the Roku Thumbnails addon for Emby and run it you'll get the same seek/scrobble experience other apps like Netflix have with your media.

I switched away to it from the Shield and am very happy with it. The Roku UI is nothing to write home about but is perfectly functional (and apps are where you spend your time anyway and they all have been updated to match other streamers) and since they updated last year the Emby UI is also nice. And Live TV supports grid view, something even the Plex Roku app doesn't do.

Thanks for elaborating on the Roku experience. I'm in The Netherlands myself (Europe). Do you know if there are Roku features that aren't usuable outside the US?

I'm in The Netherlands myself (Europe). Do you know if there are Roku features that aren't usuable outside the US?

The app has not been localized into other languages as of yet. It is strictly in English (US) right now. We do have methods in place to translate strings but presently that functionality is missing. If you can live with that fact the Roku is very capable. The next update to the Roku app will bring it even closer to how the web client and AndroidTV work. What exactly this means... I am not at liberty to say... But trust me, it is something wonderful. :)

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

The app has not been localized into other languages as of yet. It is strictly in English (US) right now. We do have methods in place to translate strings but presently that functionality is missing. If you can live with that fact the Roku is very capable. The next update to the Roku app will bring it even closer to how the web client and AndroidTV work. What exactly this means... I am not at liberty to say... But trust me, it is something wonderful. :)

Localization is not an issue. Most of my apps run in English

I just saw that the Roku Ultra doesn't support AVI. That's a shame, I still have a bundle of those. On the other hand, my server should be fine with transcoding them on the fly. Could also convert them to MKV or something else more modern.

The MiBox has optical out and runs official Android TV

Yep, that would also work, although looks like the Roku Ultra and Jetstream 4K might be more powerful alternatives. 

Localization is not an issue. Most of my apps run in English

I just saw that the Roku Ultra doesn't support AVI. That's a shame, I still have a bundle of those. On the other hand, my server should be fine with transcoding them on the fly. Could also convert them to MKV or something else more modern.

Yep, that would also work, although looks like the Roku Ultra and Jetstream 4K might be more powerful alternatives.

Doesn't support AVI with xvid/divx without transcoding. Does support MKV with xvid/divx in direct play. If you remux your AVI to MKV there is no issue. Remux takes no time since it just copies all the streams. Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

Q-Droid

Maybe the Roku is higher spec but the Jetstream is the same hardware as the Mi Box but with additional ports. The SoC, storage and RAM are the same.

• Like 1

Maybe the Roku is higher spec but the Jetstream is the same hardware as the Mi Box but with additional ports. The SoC, storage and RAM are the same.

You're right, looks like the jetstream spec page I viewed was incorrect. Thanks for clarifying.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

Some of the scathing reviews on amazon got me to reconsider the Roku Ultra, but since support in the Roku app section of this forum is rather excellent, I think I'll be giving this device a go.

Haven't found a way of shipping a Jetstream 4k to Europe yet, will let that option go for now.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

Edited by mark235

Out of curiosity, which piece of Lexicon gear did you previously use, and what are you using now?

I had a NT-212 and NT-512 for a 7.1 system.  I cannot recall what I used as my pre-pro back then...  I sold the 212 several years ago but still have the 512 in the attic.  Now I just use a Pioneer Elite receiver in my "movie" room.

In my experience one of the highest impact components of an audio system is the room it is in.  You can have pristine and perfect sound exiting your speakers but, what happens to that before it hits your ears is paramount.  Back in the day, I built dedicated theater rooms designed for awesome sound and found that even mediocre equipment could sound incredible in the right room.

Now, I just have an area at the top of my stairs I have turned into a movie room (with 2.35 screen/projector).  It is open in the back to a 2-story great room and kitchen so there was absolutely no point in trying to use super high-end audio gear in that space.  The Pioneer does just fine :).

• Like 1

I had a NT-212 and NT-512 for a 7.1 system.  I cannot recall what I used as my pre-pro back then...  I sold the 212 several years ago but still have the 512 in the attic.  Now I just use a Pioneer Elite receiver in my "movie" room.

In my experience one of the highest impact components of an audio system is the room it is in.  You can have pristine and perfect sound exiting your speakers but, what happens to that before it hits your ears is paramount.  Back in the day, I built dedicated theater rooms designed for awesome sound and found that even mediocre equipment could sound incredible in the right room.

Now, I just have an area at the top of my stairs I have turned into a movie room (with 2.35 screen/projector).  It is open in the back to a 2-story great room and kitchen so there was absolutely no point in trying to use super high-end audio gear in that space.  The Pioneer does just fine :).

Absolutely, midrange gear sounds better in a good acoustics room than top end gear in a bad one. I'm still trying to convince the mrs that we need some ceiling treatment in our living room (is it called a Stretch Ceiling in English?), but she won't have it so far  <_<

That NT-512 should still fetch you a decent penny on Ebay  :). Nice stuff.  

Jdiesel

I ended up going with a Marantz AV7704 Processor when I finished my theater room. As much as I would have liked to have gotten something a little better I couldn't justify spending that amount to get into high end Atmos gear. I still keep a separate two channel setup in the room as that is where most "theater" based gear fails unless you spend the big bucks.

I'd hit up Walmart and grab a Roku Ultra and a MiBox/Jetstream box and do your own comparison. Return the one you don't like.

• Like 1

I ended up going with a Marantz AV7704 Processor when I finished my theater room. As much as I would have liked to have gotten something a little better I couldn't justify spending that amount to get into high end Atmos gear. I still keep a separate two channel setup in the room as that is where most "theater" based gear fails unless you spend the big bucks.

I'd hit up Walmart and grab a Roku Ultra and a MiBox/Jetstream box and do your own comparison. Return the one you don't like.

There should always be something left to dream about  B) (zzzz... Trinnov... zzzz....). Arcam also does a good job in 2-channel mode, and comes with Dirac Live these days. 

Hitting up a Walmart isn't easy from Europe  ;), it'll have to be Amazon or Ebay in my case. 

• Like 1