How to separate TV Shows from Movies

jnyreb

Hi Guys,

I am running Emby on an ageing AMD dual core desktop. The server talks to a couple of Roku devices and works well. In the hardware sense, there seem to be no problems. I am running Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 which runs well for my purposes.

What I have not been able to do is separate TV Shows from Movies. Everything shows as Movies and the TV library is empty in spite of the TV programming being in it's own directory labeled as Emby preferred during setup. Also, Emby has full directory and file rights to needed areas. Is  there a way that I can tell Emby what is TV and what is not? The reason is I have enough programming that I (and especially my wife) would like to access it in smaller chunks. I am a rank amateur at this so I suspect I have missed something obvious. I also have a lot of music in another library and that doesn't show either. I read somewhere that that is a tagging issue but it didn't say what to do to fix it.

Thanks for your help,

Charlie Bishop

Hi Luke,

I used the library setup in Emby by following the path display and clicking on the desired directory. I did set up a directory tree in the Files utility in Gnome before using Emby setup. In the beginning all library directories were in the root of the drive. After I saw that Emby insisted in putting TV Shows directory under Movies in the path statement window, I moved the TV Shows directory under Movies in an attempt to make Emby happy. That didn't work.

The Music directory is still at the root of the drive. It is set up as artist-album-song. Nothing shows anywhere in Emby. I don't get any errors anywhere. That's what makes me think that the setup is okay and the music and maybe the TV problem has to do with tagging which is some else that I know little or nothing about.

Thanks for the interest.

Charlie Bishop

Mena, Arkansas

Hi, emby doesn't insist on doing anything, rather it does what you tell it to do.

Can you show a screenshot of your emby library setup? Thanks.

Oh, do mean that it did what I told it to rather than what I wanted it do do? Computers are so inconsiderate.

I don't have a screen shot now but I'll get on it.

CB

Is this what we need? If not, let me know.

The TV Shows directory is under Movies at present.

Thanks again.

CBpost-364633-0-33471700-1541168635_thumb.pngpost-364633-0-06029500-1541168649_thumb.png

What folder path is the TV library pointing to?

What are the two folders that the movie library is pointing to?

Is this what we need? If not, let me know.

The TV Shows directory is under Movies at present.

Thanks again.

CBattachicon.gifElements root.pngattachicon.gifEmby libwindow.png

So is the tv folder a sub directory of the movies folder? If so that is whats causing your headaches.

You will want a flat directory structure for separate libraries.

for example in a shell:

/media/emby/movies

/media/emby/tv

/media/emby/music

/media/emby/'family photos'

then give emby rights to /media/emby and create new directories under /media/emby/

When you add a library it will look into that directory and sub directories.

Edited by tdiguy