"Are You Still Watching?"

Sammy

..of course I am. I'm watching the World Series. Pearce on the RedSox just hit a home run but I missed as I couldn't grab the remote fast enough and had to restart the stream.

This happened right at 8pm PDT when the epg says the game is over.

If I'm watching LiveTV why ask me this? Why stop the stream?

Most importantly, can this be changed?

TIA

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

What client? You can disable runaway playback protection in the settings.

I'd like to leave that on for series playback but off for LiveTV on AndroidTV (ShieldTV) and other clients.

Jdiesel

Maybe @@ebr can tweak the conditions for live TV. I thought that playback needed to include multiple programs plus a specific amount of time before you would get prompted.

• Like 1

sfatula

..of course I am. I'm watching the World Series. Pearce on the RedSox just hit a home run but I missed as I couldn't grab the remote fast enough and had to restart the stream.

This happened right at 8pm PDT when the epg says the game is over.

If I'm watching LiveTV why ask me this? Why stop the stream?

Most importantly, can this be changed?

TIA

So, let me answer the why part from my point of view. While no big harm possibly for OTA channels, there are services showing up now for premium pay tv that emby can access. An example is hdhomerun premium tv. So, lets say I am tuned in to SyFy and fall asleep. Well, emby would keep using my bandwidth all night long. Perhaps I left for a 2 week vacation (just got back from one), maybe I forgot to stop playback before leaving. Is it ok for me to have bandwidth being used for 2 weeks? For me, definitely positively not. 

So, let me answer the why part from my point of view. While no big harm possibly for OTA channels, there are services showing up now for premium pay tv that emby can access. An example is hdhomerun premium tv. So, lets say I am tuned in to SyFy and fall asleep. Well, emby would keep using my bandwidth all night long. Perhaps I left for a 2 week vacation (just got back from one), maybe I forgot to stop playback before leaving. Is it ok for me to have bandwidth being used for 2 weeks? For me, definitely positively not. 

Fortunately for me, for now, I don't have a data cap with Spectrum so I can see that but if Emby could check if it is internet streamed then stop it unless the viewer says otherwise and leave OTA LiveTV alone that would be great.

Have you explored the settings in the app?

I have turned off Runaway Playback Protection but would like to have it be per source and not blanketed across the whole app. Sometimes it is good to have it, other times it isn't as discussed above.

Can this be done?

Thanks!

I think, in most cases, Live TV is the most likely scenario where this feature is needed.  Most of the requests for the feature before we had it were related to people just turning off their TV with Live TV going (because that's what they've always done).  People are less likely to do that when watching local content.

I think, in most cases, Live TV is the most likely scenario where this feature is needed. Most of the requests for the feature before we had it were related to people just turning off their TV with Live TV going (because that's what they've always done). People are less likely to do that when watching local content.

This is why I've always programmed a "Stop" command in my Harmony Activity shut down sequence.

I guess I'll just leave runaway protection off but would like options to tell Emby when and when not to use it.