Beginner question about optional network path.

smalak

Hello,

I want to fill in the "optional shared network folder" to decrease encoding with reason "media bitrate exceeds limit".

After reading more topics about this and the wiki it didnt make it clear enough for me to properly setup.

Some information:
- Emby is installed on a Intel computer with Ubuntu without graphic (CLI).

- I use emby also on outside networks.

- The media-data is stored on internal raid.

So to add the folder to the emby library (which works good) i use the raid "link": /mnt/raid5/video/.

When i add files to the raid drive on the from another pc on the same network, i use: sftp://internalipwithoutport/.

Is it correct that i use sftp://externalipwithport/mnt/raid5/video/ ? Using the external IP so that when im outside of my network it also works?

Because the same "link" /mnt/raid5/video/ doesnt appear to work.

mastrmind11

Hello,

I want to fill in the "optional shared network folder" to decrease encoding with reason "media bitrate exceeds limit".

After reading more topics about this and the wiki it didnt make it clear enough for me to properly setup.

Some information:

- Emby is installed on a Intel computer with Ubuntu without graphic (CLI).

- I use emby also on outside networks.

- The media-data is stored on internal raid.

So to add the folder to the emby library (which works good) i use the raid "link": /mnt/raid5/video/.

When i add files to the raid drive on the from another pc on the same network, i use: sftp://internalipwithoutport/.

Is it correct that i use sftp://externalipwithport/mnt/raid5/video/ ? Using the external IP so that when im outside of my network it also works?

Because the same "link" /mnt/raid5/video/ doesnt appear to work.

No that's not correct.  sftp is a file transfer frotocol, not a network protocol.  And /mnt/blah doesn't work because it's also not a network path.  You need to add a protocol to the network path so emby knows how to connect.  ie, if your nas is sharing files via nfs, the network path would be nfs://serverip:/path/to/media, and if smb, just switch out nfs for smb.  However, if your transcoding due to a bitrate limit, I don't see how switching to network path is going to solve your problem... it's a bitrate issue on your network connection.  What bitrate do you have your client (or server) set to?

• Like 1

No that's not correct.  sftp is a file transfer frotocol, not a network protocol.  And /mnt/blah doesn't work because it's also not a network path.  You need to add a protocol to the network path so emby knows how to connect.  ie, if your nas is sharing files via nfs, the network path would be nfs://serverip:/path/to/media, and if smb, just switch out nfs for smb.  However, if your transcoding due to a bitrate limit, I don't see how switching to network path is going to solve your problem... it's a bitrate issue on your network connection.  What bitrate do you have your client (or server) set to?

Hmm yeah well i got that when searching on "emby media bitrate exceeds limit" on google which referred me to that advice.

It doesnt happen always, just on some files and the client is a tv app from the appstore.

The birate of the file 1129 kbps.

With settings i havent seen or edited anything serversided or clientsided.

When viewing the ffmpeg log itself i see "TranscodeReasons=ContainerBitrateExceedsLimit".

But because you said that i didnt see that fixing the issue i read the whole ffmpeg transcode log and found this:

"Video uses a non-standard and wasteful way to store B-frames ('packed B-frames'). Consider using the mpeg4_unpack_bframes bitstream filter without encoding but stream copy to fix it."

*Edit; So i guess i rather re-encode the file manually with ffmpeg and unpack the b-frames rather then using the network path if thats not helping to stop the transcode.

Thanks for your input!

Edited by smalak

mastrmind11

Hmm yeah well i got that when searching on "emby media bitrate exceeds limit" on google which referred me to that advice.

It doesnt happen always, just on some files and the client is a tv app from the appstore.

The birate of the file 1129 kbps.

With settings i havent seen or edited anything serversided or clientsided.

When viewing the ffmpeg log itself i see "TranscodeReasons=ContainerBitrateExceedsLimit".

But because you said that i didnt see that fixing the issue i read the whole ffmpeg transcode log and found this:

"Video uses a non-standard and wasteful way to store B-frames ('packed B-frames'). Consider using the mpeg4_unpack_bframes bitstream filter without encoding but stream copy to fix it."

*Edit; So i guess i rather re-encode the file manually with ffmpeg and unpack the b-frames rather then using the network path if thats not helping to stop the transcode.

Thanks for your input!

well what is your client bitrate setting set to?

The only setting that the client (Samsung TV app) has is video quality (home network / internet) , and everything is set to automatic.

The shared network folder setting will not affect the Samsung app. Do you still have questions?

No thank you, i ended up uninstalling Emby.

Mainly because (see the other topic, needed to update to beta to fix constantly crashing on supported soft- and hardware) screwed up 2 out of 6 libraries.

Also, since the support on subtitle playback (need to hardware transcoding for PGSSUB/SUBRIP/DVDSUB) is way too limited imo, i am on the market for new mediaserver software.

I think you are mistaken about subtitle support.

We fully support those subtitle formats. The only time you're going to see those formats transcoding is when the device you're playing from does not support them.

If you're playing from a web browser, there is no browser that supports those subtitle formats. Any media server will have to transcode them.