Nested Genre > Artist > Album for Music?

Chyron

unisoft
On 18/05/2022 at 05:30, Luke said:

Hi, yes we can add this. Thanks for the feedback.

@Luke Any news on this yet? Instead of looking at a bunch of album names when going into GENRES we want a view of "Sort by Artist" so we get artist name with albums then listed under that genre (by ID3v2 tags on track usually). The artist should be listed just once and not for each album, and when you click on the artist you then get the albums.

This used to be the case in Emby until it was changed some releases ago.

It's  a major p***off to have a useless bunch of albums presented randomly like Emby has done copying Spotify who also get it wrong. If you have lots of Artists a huge list of Albums is pointless. You are going into genres to see artists with a list of tracks tagged for the genre.

Thanks.

Edited by unisoft
  • Agree 2

• 5 months later...
sonicdmonkey

I'd love to see this as well. Genre is my starting point when I want to listen to something but don't know what. Showing Artist next seems like a logical progression to me. I also find that the current setting is not helpful for genres with a large number of albums.  

This was literally my only issue when weighing up whether to go with Emby; I only use it for music and everything else works exactly as I'd hoped it would. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

unisoft
5 hours ago, sonicdmonkey said:

I'd love to see this as well. Genre is my starting point when I want to listen to something but don't know what. Showing Artist next seems like a logical progression to me. I also find that the current setting is not helpful for genres with a large number of albums.  

This was literally my only issue when weighing up whether to go with Emby; I only use it for music and everything else works exactly as I'd hoped it would. 

and what is most annoying about this, is that Emby used to DEFAULT to this view before loving up stupid Spotify and trying to copy them on misguided belief they were correct.

Instead of doing the right thing and putting in a VIEW BY option that would be "sticky", they chose to just change the view, not tell anyone. They had ir right to start with, but if you did want to change, at least put the original view as an option....

• Agree 2

PuffyToesToo

Adding my +1 to this. I never organize my physical media by album, because it makes searching for something impossible and messy (particularly when considering compilation albums). It really doesn't make sense to me to search for an artist by album name. When doing a web search for a song, do you search by artist, or album by default? I can know that The Weeknd has a bunch of songs I really enjoy, but not necessarily the name of each album. Thanks.

• Agree 2

• 9 months later...
user24
On 2/15/2023 at 8:19 PM, sonicdmonkey said:

This is typically the way things are organised in the old-fashioned record/CD shop. You would (or still) walk into the store, make a bee-line to your favourite genre and then browse the Album Artists (in alphabetical order) to find the album you want. Your physical collection at home would likely mirror this. I expect many Emby users would have large digital album collections grouped by either Album Artist, Artist or Composer within Genres. 

Therefore the request makes sense. At least now under Genres you can sort by Album Artist, Artist or Composer,  but I agree some Genres may contain 100s of albums making this not ideal. When music libraries grow to 1000s of albums, it makes even more sense to have this intermediate level (Album Artist , Artist or Composer depending upon user preference).

On 2/16/2023 at 2:01 AM, unisoft said:

and what is most annoying about this, is that Emby used to DEFAULT to this view before loving up stupid Spotify and trying to copy them on misguided belief they were correct.

I would guess that most Spotify users are much more individual Song Artist oriented, rather than Album Artist oriented, so following Spotify conventions may annoy typical Emby music users???

On 2/17/2023 at 12:03 AM, PuffyToesToo said:

Adding my +1 to this. I never organize my physical media by album, because it makes searching for something impossible and messy (particularly when considering compilation albums). It really doesn't make sense to me to search for an artist by album name. When doing a web search for a song, do you search by artist, or album by default? 

I organise my physical media by Album Artist and then Album in ascending chronological order. When looking for new music (online or in-store), I search by Genre and then Artist. When wanting to play a specific song from Emby (as opposed to browsing) it is mostly quicker to do a direct search for it!

• Agree 2

• 2 months later...
unisoft

4.8.3.0 has been updated for genres view, but pasted my thoughts in another thread and showing the conversation here.