Another renaming issue

dcol

Have a new issue with the renaming. This time, I don't think the XML has anything to do with it. But I do believe because Emby does not use a normal naming convention, this is the result.

All shows with a season and Episode number process the title correctly. If there is no S/E then the title is appended with today's date/time.

Here is an example from the XML, and in this example the colon was removed and date/time appended to the filename after it was transcoded by Emby.

<programme start="20181025150000 +0000" stop="20181025160000 +0000" channel="EPG123.56905.schedulesdirect.org">
    <title>Building Off the Grid: Edge of Maine</title>
    <desc>A creative family builds a three-story tiny house full of clever features in Maine; but with limited experience and a three-month deadline, they'll need help from Maine natives to get it done.</desc>
    <date>20180109</date>
    <category>Special</category>
    <category>Home Improvement</category>
    <category>House/Garden</category>
    <category>How-To</category>
    <language>en</language>
    <icon src="https://s3.amazonaws...8_st_v5_aa.jpg"/>
    <episode-num system="dd_progid">SH02837031.0000</episode-num>
    <episode-num system="original-air-date">2018-01-09</episode-num>
    <video>
      <quality>HDTV</quality>
    </video>
    <audio>
      <stereo>stereo</stereo>
    </audio>
    <previously-shown start="20180109" />
    <subtitles type="teletext" />
    <rating system="VCHIP">
      <value>TV-G</value>
    </rating>
    <rating system="USA Parental Rating">
      <value>TVG</value>
    </rating>
  </programme>

The file that was recorded by Emby was 'Building Off the Grid  Edge of Maine 2018_10_25_08_00_00.ts'

Note that the colon was replaced by a space and the current date and time was appended to the file name

Where do you think this came from? Doesn't appear like it came from the XML, Maybe from the source?

I attached the Emby trancode log. I just need some guidance as to what could be renaming this show.

I would also like to add that the TV Guide shows this show as a repeat, but there is no repeat flag in the XML. Now maybe Emby assumes it is a repeat since there is no 'New' tag. Don't know the Emby logic, so can't tell. Every show in the guide, not movies, shows a repeat label if it is not 'New' or 'Premiere'.

I would like to see that gone, unless the XML has a 'repeat' tag.

I have eliminated EPG123 as the XML and using Schedules Direct as the only TV Guide Data Provider and the same issue occurs. Going back to the EPG123 data because the dropdown list is smaller. Wish Emby would sort that list.

record-transcode.txt

Edited by dcol

Hi, what exactly is the problem? when there are no season and episode numbers available, we use the date for the recording file name.

Adding the date serves no purpose. Why does Emby do that?

This seems to cause 2 issues. First is these shows rarely receive metadata. Second is these shows do not group. As an example a 4 part show will not have S/E and the date added prevents grouping. Also, why is the colon removed and replaced with a space, looks weird. That is part of the title.

Can't Emby just have an option for not adding the date to the title and leave the title as it is in the title tag? I would rather see the original air date than the date it was recorded. That date means nothing to me. And the original air date tag info should be in the description window

Edited by dcol

Because if there are no season and episode numbers, then the dates can be used by metadata providers to locate the episode on tvdb.

If the dates serve no purpose, then why did windows media center name the recording files like this for all those years?

How can the metadata providers find it by your own recording date. Shouldn't it then be the original air date. That is probably why I do not get any metadata info.

Also, regardless of how WMC did it, Emby cannot properly group these shows.

As you can see from my example above, the original air date was <episode-num system="original-air-date">2018-01-09</episode-num>

The file was named 'Building Off the Grid  Edge of Maine 2018_10_25_08_00_00.ts'

Why is that?

And I still didn't get an explanation of why the colon was removed.

Edited by dcol

Ok, colon not all that important, but what about the date naming being incorrect since the original air date was in the XML.

This is probably why I do not get the metadata

Edited by dcol

RobWayBro

From a file naming standpoint, some text HAS to be added if there is no season/episode or you would end up with only 1 file being overwritten each time, which would/could be a bigger problem.

If not the date recorded, what would you suggest they append to the file name to make is unique?

Original air date would be first choice, If that doesn't exist, then use recording date. That way at least the metadata would be retrieved.

RobWayBro

Am I missing something, isn't recording date what they used?  Albeit with time appended, but then you have the further issue of the possiblity of 2 episodes in the same day ending up eith the same name if you leave the time out.

We're currently not looking for this:

<episode-num system="original-air-date">2018-01-09</episode-num>

I've never seen that before, so we'll have to add support for that. Thanks.

Ok thanks. Looks like SD uses this format. Would be great if Emby could use that date instead of the recorded date.

If you need a complete XML let me know.

Would be helpful if you added a feature for epg123 XML's. I have to manually edit shows every day now. The same series are showing as new series and creating new blank icons in the library because Emby can't get the metadata with the date added to the title. I really don't care if the date is in the filename, I just want Emby to be able to get the metadata and properly insert it in the library.

An example of this is the show Expedition Unknown on the Travel Channel.

Edited by dcol

• 4 weeks later...
garyan2

@garyan what is the date format? is it UTC?

Sorry, @@Luke. I never got notified on this (you forgot the '2' at the end of my user name). FWIW, I believe emby is handling the naming properly with the information given.

The episode-num system "original-air-date" is only there to support other XMLTV consumers whom I will not name but think they can make up the rules as they go. The actual original air date can be found in the <date> element. If it is an episode, then it will be YYYYMMDD. If it is a movie, then it is just YYYY.

The example used is a weird one, so not too sure what anyone could have done differently. The show is on DIY and the network says it is a special with Season 0 Episode 18. TheTVDB says it is Season 4 Episode 1 with the series title of "Building Off the Grid" and episode title of "Edge of Maine". The dd_progid from Gracenote/Schedules Direct identifies it as a generic show or a special which would match with what DIY says. Basically, we are a slave to the data provided and Gracenote identified each episode of "Building Off the Grid" to be a stand-alone special.

My 2 cents is, in this situation, appending the date/time of the recording is the best option. The risk of copying over previous recordings or missing recordings is greater than 0% if you try to rely on other data fields.