FR - picture in picture mode on ipad

im85288

Unfortunately we can't do it with our custom player based on mpv, so this means we'd have to go back to the native apple player which won't support as many formats without transcoding. So it is a little bit of a trade-off. What we are hoping for is that the iOS SDK will expand so that we can do this with mpv.

• Like 2

im85288

Fair enough thanks for the detailed reply, I think most people would prefer the direct play the custom player offers now so hopefully in the future the iOS SDK will allow this to happen as it’s a very nice feature to have.

Thanks. On android for example, any View can become the Pip window, but on iOS currently it can only be the native video player view.

samuelqwe

Not 100% sure how the implementation of mpv works, but perhaps it would be possible with this?

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/avkit/adopting_picture_in_picture_in_a_custom_player

I also don't know if Apple defines a "custom player" as a playing using their engine, but a custom UI, or a completely different engine. It's possible you've seen this documentation page before and this doesn't do anything useful, but in case you didn't, here you go.

Edited by samuelqwe

samuelqwe

We'll have to look but I'm not sure we can hook libmpv into that.

It probably won’t work, but just though you should take a look in case you had not seen this.

• 2 weeks later...
Lavaground

Would it be possible to toggle the player from the app settings? Emby Custom <-> iOS Native :)

Edited by Lavaground

im85288

I hope some solution can be found eventually as it’s a very useful feature and eventually I would expect iPhones to start having this feature too (which would make it more in demand)

Lavaground

Thanks for the quick reply Luke. :)

Also hoping for solution, would make my balcony sessions a lot more entertaining. Living in a brand new "active" house has its downsides, like crappy wifi and cellular due to metal particles in the windows to make use of sunlight warming up the flat. So i need to sync my stuff to the ipad as hearthstone takes all of the wifis outdoor-bandwith.  :ph34r:

Edited by Lavaground