Transcoding temporary files -> NAS mapped cifs drive

rickdEMBY

rickdEMBY

I have attempted to use a mapped cifs drive path to my local NAS and it fails since emby runs under the emby account not the logged on user account.  Emby use is an account only used for emby service to run. How could I use my cifs share as a remote path for EMBY in this situation??

rickdEMBY

The option I have to to add a user emby with a mandatory password on the NAS of which the emby user on the linux install does not have a password that I know of ... or is there a way to set the user emby password on the linux side and have no affect on the Emby server startup etc ...

mastrmind11

The option I have to to add a user emby with a mandatory password on the NAS of which the emby user on the linux install does not have a password that I know of ... or is there a way to set the user emby password on the linux side and have no affect on the Emby server startup etc ...

put the emby user in a group that has r/w access to the mount.

rickdEMBY

put the emby user in a group that has r/w access to the mount.

unfortunately the options to make a cifs mount only allow user options for r/w ... unless I am missing something

rickdEMBY

I added emby user to the group the user is in that is used to mount the drive and still not working...   is there a way to see the errors? or if user emby had a known password it would use when testing/writing it would be easier to build the connection

Edited by rickdEMBY

mastrmind11

I added emby user to the group the user is in that is used to mount the drive and still not working... is there a way to see the errors? or if user emby had a known password it would use when testing/writing it would be easier to build the connection

Why are you using cifs is my first question. What's syslog say when you mount the drive? Did you create a new folder that emby has rw access to and mount the cifs share there? Cifs is pretty old school so we're going to have to limp along with this one, unfortunately.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

rickdEMBY

Why are you using cifs is my first question. What's syslog say when you mount the drive? Did you create a new folder that emby has rw access to and mount the cifs share there? Cifs is pretty old school so we're going to have to limp along with this one, unfortunately.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

My NAS can do NFS is that's a better option for this application?

mastrmind11

My NAS can do NFS is that's a better option for this application?

its almost always better when living in linux land.  cifs is old and primarily used when you have a networked windows disk you want to mount.

rickdEMBY

its almost always better when living in linux land.  cifs is old and primarily used when you have a networked windows disk you want to mount.

The more I read on NFS the more security issues arise. I do have multiple OS's using my NAS and I have attempted to enable an NFS share ... the basic NFS auth methods are resulting me me trying to change UID GID of users on the linux box where emby runs, not optimal and to say CIFS is old ? NFS is as well. Seems the idea of allowing the emby server to use a networked mounted temp location is a bit stretch at this point... Emby can watch mounted drives for changes .... I was hoping the code was there to extend the temp transcode as well but either not possible or not as mature as needed to flexibly use what's already mounted... I'll keep my eyes open for a better solution.