ISO client deleted entire movie directory

Jbenderjr

Jbenderjr

I was using the ISO Emby client app to control my Nvidia Shield server. I had uploaded an encrypted video without ripping it and tried to use the app to delete the movie. When I clicked on the delete button on that movies page it not only deleted that movie and the directory it was under, it also deleted my entire movie directory which had all my other movie directories under it. I am now going to have to re-upload all my movies.

Hi, what I see according to this log is that you went over to emby library setup and delete a library called Adult. Does that sound right?

Jbenderjr

I did that too but that wasn’t the library that had these movies in it. That library was pointing to storage/5CA8-7995/NVIDIA_SHIELD/Adult and that directory is still there even after deleting the library like it should be.

I deleted movies named Pitch Perfect and Avatar which were in the Movies library but the directories they were pointing to was gone and the Movies directory that they were under. The directory that was deleted by mistake was on a external hard drive at storage/5CA8-7995/NVIDIA_SHIELD/Movies. Once I deleted those movies which were in their own subdirectories under Movies the Movies directory was also gone.

Right, I see the avatar deletion, but I don't see any evidence that it deleted anything besides the avatar directory:

2018-10-21 23:50:34.545 Info HttpServer: HTTP DELETE http://10.0.0.19:8096/emby/Items/18353. UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; CPU OS 12_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/605.1.15 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/16A404
2018-10-21 23:50:34.579 Info App: Deleting item, Type: Movie, Name: Avatar, Path: /storage/5CA8-7995/NVIDIA_SHIELD/Movies/Avatar, Id: 18353

Jbenderjr

Nevertheless the Movies directory was truly gone along with all my other subdirectories.

Trust me I have been a computer programmer for over 40 years and know that logs are totally controlled by the code writing them out and not by what the program actually did.

I know I didn’t manually delete it so it has to be a bug somewhere.

Perhaps it is something to do with the client app being on my IPad and the server being on my Nvidia Shield because of the differences between the ISO and Android structures and code.

At any rate I have recreated all my data and will manually do all deletions in the future. Just wanted to make someone aware so the bug might be found and stop other users from this headache

Except that the emby server log will explicitly list out every single deletion for the very purpose of being able to track these kinds of things down. I believe you that you removed an entire library from emby, but I don't currently see any evidence that Emby deleted a top level folder from your file system.

Nonetheless, thank you for the report and I will do some testing to see if I can observe the same behavior. Thanks.