Musci Library Scan returns incorrect metadata even with Tagged mp3

dgg1974

I have been trying to get this working for the past several days, haven't found this same problem on the forums so posting now in the hope someone has experienced this or can let me know if I am doing something wrong. I think the folder structure is good.

When I scan a music folder for example letter B ie just the artists in B for example. Music Library is otherwise not active until i create the library with only the B artists

Beastie Boys / Ill Communication / file.mp3

I get the basic information correct, though sometimes no art for the album artist, but the real issue is with the Genre

It seems that no matter what I do I end up with a Genre of Blues

This happens with any artist that somehow doesn't get read correctly during the scan. After running into this problem with A I redid my entire A section with Picard, removing almost every tag there was then re scanning everything and then adding in a Genre in this case 00 A to Z / Rock or some other Genre. This seemed to work for A, giving me two Genres one for 00 A to Z and a second one for Rock, Hip Hop..., though sometimes even then I would have to go back and adjust a few who came back as Blues (Aerosmith for example), but after doing the same thing with B I am getting the dreaded blues Genre again for things that are obviously not the blues and its almost all of the B's not just a few.

Does anyone have a suggestion.

I also noticed a challenge or problem with certain bands like AC/DC, the scan didn't like that / or situations where the band had a self titled album like A / Audioslave / Audioslave / filename.mp3 it seemed to create a blank entry that was clickable but had no information associated with it other than being blank but with the same number of total runtime as another correctly rendered artist.

Any help is appreciated.

Hi there, can you please provide discussion of specific examples, and show screenshots to demonstrate the issue? Thanks !

ok  I think i have this screen capture figured out.

Here is a capture of the Picard tags. Other mp3 look basically the same. The Genre always has a 00 A to Z and then there is a secondary Genre for further breakdown be it Pop / Rock / Folk...

5bce56c88d99f_Screenshot20181022170511.p

This next capture is what shows up after the scan with no settings changed in the library setup, ie add the folder and hit ok, though i get the same result when i select the nfo option.

The saved nfo records the Blues Genre instead of what is listed in the tag.

5bce5723107ce_Screenshot20181022171102.p

As compared to something from the A folder, everything seems correct and the Genre is what I expect without anything surprising

5bce5754c8b83_Screenshot20181022184615.p

5bce5767bcd90_Screenshot20181022184940.p

It does not appear to make a difference between selecting the NFO option or not. I have also attached copies of the logs during each scan

Let me know if there is anything else I can forward along or steps to take to troubleshoot.

thanks

Babyface Scan Log.txt

Abba Scan Log.txt

Just wanted to post two more screenshots.

If I scan the same Babyface folder into Kodi directly, ie no emby. The scan completes pulling back the correct tags. Ignore the smudges of the letters, its an old screen. Really love using emby, hope someone can point me in the rights direction.

5bcf4b185d30e_Scan1.jpg

5bcf4b2cbd45b_Scan2.jpg

Have you ensured the file is tagged with all versions of id3? That might be the problem as we use ffprobe and it might be seeing something else in the file that picard is not writing to.

Thanks for the feedback.

I had a look into the Tags, and stripped out the id3v1 tags from the Babyface folder to see if that made a difference. It didn't appear to at first but then after stripping out the v1 tags I changed the genre to heavy metal to see if that would get picked up and it did, but the Genre only got picked up for the album, under the artist it still says Blues, I cannot for the life of me find where the Blues Tag would be listed perhaps it is a default Genre that gets written when it finds nothing? This is the only Genre name that gets set, ie I don't get folk or reggae or anything like that, just blues, and while I enjoy the blues, my collection is not just that :) .

So now when I go to the Genre section the only label is heavy metal and the album from that artist is listed there as heavy metal.

It would seem something during the scan is setting the artist tag and album artist tag to have a genre but then after finding the artist / album artist Genre it then proceeds to read the Genre Tag in the id3v2 file within the mp3 file and places that Genre with the album. Here is a screenshot of what I mean.

5bcf6a90e065c_scan3.jpg

When I click on the Blues tab it takes me to the Blues Genre where there is nothing listed. And under Genre, the Blues section does not exist.

5bcf6aa6e6d64_scan4.jpg

5bcf6aba3cdca_scan5.jpg

Any other directions to try? Or is there something I can do more regarding the Tags that I am missing?

Thanks

Ran a scan of the library and that didn't change anything. Removed the entire music library, ran a further scan, then created a new music library with Babyface and Big Bad Voodoo Daddy (just stripped that one but didn't change the genre from 00 A to Z / Pop.

On the first scan of the library Babyface artist is still Blue but his album is heavy metal

Big Bad Voodoo Daddy is listed as Blues and the album is also blues. 

I went and renamed the Genre in BBVD and changed it to heavy metal like babyface and this time it recognized the genre but still gave the Artist and Album Artist the Blues Genre

I think when the scan takes place, at least for the albums, if emby comes across a Genre it doesn't like (read not something from a tagging drop down list) or some pre set list of acceptable Genre's it places Blues in its place.

I then changed BBVD genre to Pop from a drop down list in my tagging software and re-scanned the library and the album Genre changed to Pop

Changed it back to 00 A to Z re-scanned the library and album genre went back to blues. My guess now is that blues is the first genre in whatever list emby is referencing when it does its scan.

Really not sure what to say about the Artist / Album artist part, but I think we've isolated one issue.

Thoughts / options for moving ahead?

Thanks

OK, I would suggest re-evaluating with the next release as there have been a lot of changes in this area. Thanks.