Jealous of Plex's SubZero plugin? Use Sonarr/Radarr? Use Bazarr

sluggo45

sluggo45

I know Emby has built-in subtitle support via Opensubtitles & Subdb. And it can work pretty well; having used both I think it works better than Plex's built-in subtitle support at any rate. If your default response reading this is "well, I think Emby's sub support is fine" then great, you be you, but if you want something more read on.

While good, Emby's sub support is still somewhat basic in terms of matching, or finding subs for hearing impaired (like me, I am deaf in one ear and have a hard time hearing dialog at low volume), particularly if you are using files you've altered (like if you removed embedded subs from a file because Emby clients insist on listing those without differentiating from external subs but that is a different topic) because the file hash won't match so "download exact matches" won't work. And the heavy reliance on Opensubtitles can be a problem at times because that doesn't always have the subs you need, it has heavy rate limits if you aren't a VIP subscriber to it, and generally seems to have API problems, particularly lately.

Over in Plex-land, there's a plugin called SubZero which leverages the excellent Subliminal project (https://github.com/Diaoul/subliminal) - I won't cover that here because you can read all about it on their site, but basically it is one of the best subtitle-matching applications around, and can use a number of different providers including, of course, Open Subtitles. It has a solid matching algorithm, lets you specify forced/hearing impaired, has lots of fine-tuning options for most every weird edge case around, and in general is just a great way to automate subtitle downloads and get subs that actually work in a large variety of languages.

SubZero uses it which is why most Plex users who care about subs install it. For Emby, one option is a (pretty recent) app called Bazarr. It's standalone, not built in to Emby/a plugin, and the way it works is by using Sonarr and Radarr - you may have already guessed that Bazarr is a fork of those (well, fork of Sonarr, like Radarr is) - by pulling the libraries from each via API and then discovering/matching subtitles. It also uses Subliminal for the latter and in my experience using it is quite good, in addition to being both easy to use and easy to tune to your preferences, providers, etc. 

You install it just like Sonarr/Radarr - the process will look very familiar. I run mine in a Docker like the rest. After discovering all existing subtitles I have the option to search for missing, or better, subs on a scheduled basis. Since it integrates with Sonarr/Radarr it will also automatically search for subs as the former download content. Even though it is still in an early beta state I've found it works quite well, to the point where I've disabled Emby's built in subtitle handler.

Obviously it isn't for everyone - if you don't use Sonarr or Radarr to manage your TV/Movies (though if you don't maybe you should take a look, they are fantastic) it's of no real use, and being a beta there's still some stuff to be done. The developer is active on Github and Discord (https://github.com/morpheus65535/bazarr) so ask a question or request an enhancement if you want one, that's how programs improve.

Edited by sluggo45
  • Like 2

sluggo45

Adding Podnapisi is great, especially for non-english subs (I have Spanish inlaws). And I do think Emby's subtitle support is good, better than Plex. However tools like Bazarr can help with edge cases, such as finding forced subs, or subs for hearing impaired. That would be a nice thing to add to Emby at some point.

On an unrelated but sort of related feature request, it would be absolutely fantastic if Emby clients - or even better if the server could do it - could be optionally configured to ignore embedded subtitles. For many clients, external subs are better and don't trigger transcoding, also some clients (the Roku in particular) don't do well at all if there are many embedded subtitles in a file; the list scrolls off the page sometimes, and there's no way to differentiate between embedded and external subs.

Considering all the work that's going in to support subtitle downloads it'd be great if we had the option to just view them in the UI.

Thanks again for all the work on Emby Luke. Love it.

Edited by sluggo45
  • Like 1

sluggo45

Also, Emby doesn't seem to have a way to rate-limit requests for subs to any provider, or if it does it's built in somewhere where the user can't see/configure it. I often get a lot of timeouts from Opensubtitles, Podnapisi as well, after too many requests are sent. That's something else that Bazarr/Subliminal does - allows you to set a limit, so it doesn't send too many requests at once, but intelligently spaces things so the job doesn't simply fail/timeout in the first place. Maybe Emby does that in which case the Subliminal folks are doing a better job of it because I don't often run in to that issue with Bazarr.

Edited by sluggo45

We only send one request at a time. When there's a failure due to rate limit emby will react accordingly.

• 4 months later...

Addic7ed is now in the Emby plugin catalog. You'll need to configure your Addic7ed credentials in the plugin configuration. Enjoy.

• 1 month later...
morpheus65535

Here is the list of providers supported out of the box by Bazarr in current version:

• Addic7ed
  • Argenteam
  • Assrt
  • GreekSubtitles
  • Hosszupuska
  • LegendasTV
  • Napiprojekt
  • OpenSubtitles
  • Podnapisi
  • Subs.sab.bz
  • Subscene
  • Subscenter
  • Subsunacs.net
  • Subs4Free
  • Subs4Series
  • SubZ
  • Supersubtitles
  • Titlovi
  • TVSubtitles
  • XSubs
  • Zimuku

Working hard to improve that list! :-)

Sammy

Good discussion.

Buzarr is the subtitle downloader from what I read.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk