Chromcast Gen2 direct play dolby digital issue

brzozex

HI,

I have sound issue (no dolby digital sound) when direct casting to chromecast (only stereo trans-coding).

Last month everything was working fine. Was there any update to emby that prevent passing thru dd?

Dlna streaming to chromecast working fine. Also i can't see chromecast in devices.

In attachment log from direct cast. File audio is ac3. I tried movies i watched in past with no issues all of them getting transcoded to stereo

Regards,

Hi,

Please find attached log files from emby.

I tried to install beta version as well, same thing ( beta version gives some additional info) "The media is compatible with the device regarding resolution and media type (H.264, AC3, etc.), but is in an incompatible file container"

All those video files worked fine before (approx. one month ago)

Regards,

emby log.txt

emby chromecast log.txt

Chromecast is not reporting ac3 as supported, that's why it is not passing through. What is Chromecast connected to? You may want to review your audio hardware setup. Thanks.

Hi,

Chromecast is connected to Denon AVR, which have these capabilities.

How can I solve this issue?

And why it worked without any issues month ago?

Regards,

HI, Yes its turn on and is receiving only stereo signal from chromecast. But i think AVR has nothing to do with it.

That's why i start digging in emby log files and found that it is transcoding all dolby digital (ac3) to 2 channel stereo.

So the real issue is - emby is not passing thru ac3 to chromecast it starts transcoding as soon as you direct play to chromecast ac3 stream.

Another question - can emby at least transcode to 6 channel stream instead of 2 channel?

Regards,

Another question - can emby at least transcode to 6 channel stream instead of 2 channel?

Unfortunately google removed support for 6ch aac earlier this year due to licensing problems, so when we transcode to aac, it is limited to 2 channels.

Hi,

the issue seems to be related to a new Chromecast firmware (version 1.35). Since the firmware update I have the same problem that Emby thinks that AC3 and E-AC3 aren't supported with my two Chromecast Ultras and now 5.1 channels are transcoded to AAC 2.0. Netflix still works fine and streams E-AC3 sound to my AV receiver. With the previous CCU firmware 1.32.124602 everything worked fine with Emby.

If I change the ffmpeg parameters (via a small bash script which calls the real ffmpeg process with a changed command line) to convert to AC3 with 5.1 channels instead of the AAC 2 channels which were originally requested by Emby, Emby still streams the 5.1 AC3 sound fine. So it seems that something has changed regarding the detection of pass-through capabilities in the Chromecast firmware or Cast API.

Kind regards,

Danny.

• Like 1

Hi Danny,

Thx for reply. I was chatting with Google support yesterday and I was suggesting what you write. They will look at this issue. Could you share this script as a temporary solution? Will it be possible to add to it transcoding from aac 6 channel and dts to ac3 as well?

Regards,

Piotr

Hi Danny,

Thx for reply. I was chatting with Google support yesterday and I was suggesting what you write. They will look at this issue. Could you share this script as a temporary solution? Will it be possible to add to it transcoding from aac 6 channel and dts to ac3 as well?

Regards,

Piotr

The script is very dumb. It just changes parameters from transcode to AAC 2.0 to a transcode to AC3 (with original channel count of your media) and will set the bitrate to 640k (highest allowed bitrate for AC3).

This will work for clients which support AC3 but when a client doesn't support AC3, playback won't work. The script doesn't know the playback capabilities, so the usefulness is limited. But it also works for DTS 5.1 tracks and should work for AAC 5.1 tracks.

Anyway, I attached the script (for Linux only). Rename the existing ffmpeg executable (should be found in /opt/emby-server/bin) to ffmpeg_orig and place the attachment as a file named /opt/emby-server/bin/ffmpeg. The script must be executable by the user under which emby runs, usually emby.

ffmpeg.txt

HI how can i get this to work on Windows server?

I believe this will be hard to impossible. You would need a bash shell for Windows (like win-bash or cygwin) or need to port the script to Windows Powershell or so, but I don't think that Emby can start an script instead of the ffmpeg executable on Windows. Windows just work different from Linux/Unix.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I modified user config file to skip audio transcoding as a workaround ( most of my movies are DD anyway).

Regards,

Piotr

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

I just got a new firmware update on my Chromecast Ultra (1.36.140318) in the preview program and this firmware update has solved the problem for me.

AC3 output works fine again without any hack

Regards,

Danny.