stand alone player/server?

williamdosa

williamdosa

I'm looking for a way to play all my media when we are on the job in the bush without having to lug around my whole server. I have a 3TB usb 3.0 drive and id like to just have a nice little package to plug in without spending a whole lot of money on this endeavor.

I'm thinking a Pi with LibreELEC and KODI with the emby server running in the background and then have it start Kodi and right to emby for Kodi but it seem like there should be an easier way? The start up time i could see being atrocious.Akinator Xender Kik

Any help would be appreciated. Even if it's not an Emby solution!

Edited by williamdosa

kanipek

All good ideas.

Also you should check out:

https://www.amazon.com/ZoomGo-ZX10-Media-Stick-Charger/dp/B079K5PZFY

http://www.zoomgo.tv/

Not an Emby/Kodi solution, but it works well.  You can power it on the go in the car and also via mini-usb in a house/cabin/trailer/tent.  It works well, I use it every year during our vacation in the sticks.

It generates it's own WiFi hotspot. Download the app on any device and connect to the hot spot. Self contained, load your media on a micro SD card(s) and insert it in the ZoomGo.

No affiliation with ZoomGo, just like the product.

Volfan6415

So I use a pi as a “remote server” Emby server for when we are traveling in the car that everyone can access. I also set it up with a kodi frontend that plays when it’s hdmi is connected. I’ll see if I can find the instructions I followed but you setup the pis Wi-Fi to act as an access point instead of as a client. Then users can bring their own devices and “connect” to the server running on the pi to play the media.

I use the folder sync plugin on the main server to keep a separate folder synced up with the transcoded versions of the movies I want on the portable server. The use a cron rsync job on the pi to load them over whenever the pi is connected to Ethernet on the local network with the main server.

I have it plugged in to an ac outlet in the car and then all my kids tablets just connect to it to get the media, only have to keep one device synced. Plus when I connect to it I can remotely control their devices in the car. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Volfan6415

I'm looking for a way to play all my media when we are on the job in the bush without having to lug around my whole server. I have a 3TB usb 3.0 drive and id like to just have a nice little package to plug in without spending a whole lot of money on this endeavor.

I'm thinking a Pi with LibreELEC and KODI with the emby server running in the background and then have it start Kodi and right to emby for Kodi but it seem like there should be an easier way? The start up time i could see being atrocious.Akinator Xender Kik

Any help would be appreciated. Even if it's not an Emby solution!

If you have a notebook you're all set.

You've got the 3TB USB drive you can copy movies to either manually or with Emby's Folder Sync.

You can install a portable version of the Emby server on the notebook to the USB drive.  This way when you have the USB drive with you, you also have an Emby server you can run off the drive.

Using a notebook you can use an existing network (hardwired or WIFI) or could create your own WIFI network for smart phones depending on your needs.

There is also Android Server (in testing) you could play with if you have any android devices that could be used as a server.

• Like 1