Server on PC vs Shield

efigalaxie

efigalaxie

I currently have Emby Server set up on a Dell Optiplex from about 2012. Core I7, 16gb ram, 256gb sdd, windows 10 pro. I use an AppleTV 4K as a client. Before, I used an Nvidia Shield Pro as a client. Frankly, the Apple device works better overall.

The issue I have is with server. Everything is slower than it should be. Starting playback, menu navigation, scrolling through movies. My media is all on about 6 NAS raid 1 devices. They are not the issue. Kodi is able to do everything quickly and smoothly. That eliminates the network and the NAS devices themselves. The sluggishness and flakiness is common to the shield as a client and to the Apple TV. Over the internet is the same. My library is about 6000 movies and a couple thousand TV episodes. I also want to try using Emby as my own cloud music service with FLAC files.

I am seriously wondering if it is my PC that is the issue with Emby server. The server is using 10/100 Ethernet. It also only has USB2 ports...so a usb 3 gigabit adapter is out. This as a sff machine. It really should be ok since the streaming shouldn’t come close to maxing out even 100 Mbps Ethernet. Even 2 or 3 streams ought to be fine. Also, windows 10 always is rebooting from updates and my server is never available when I want it on the spur of the moment. Emby as a service doesn’t want to work well on my setup. Because of these things....MY WIFE HATES EMBY.

So, will my Nvidia Shield be a better server? I would use it ONLY as a server. Would I be better finding a different PC? Would I be better changing over to Linux as the OS? I am a paid subscriber to Emby Premier. Until I have a setup that is rock solid, my wife is flat going to refuse to use it.

Also, I use a wireless keyboard with my client. Can you make it so pressing shift or alt and a letter takes you right to the movies that start with the letter? Also make it easy for a profile to select favorites and see only those favor if they wish. Again...wife. If she has to wade through stuff to get what she wants....she isn’t going to use it.

I have been supporting you for a pretty long time... please support me. Help me get this cleaned up and working well.

Also, I do have a Dell R710 server at my disposal as well. I could move the server to that.

Edited by efigalaxie

Jdiesel

The issue I have is with server. Everything is slower than it should be. Starting playback, menu navigation, scrolling through movies. My media is all on about 6 NAS raid 1 devices. They are not the issue. Kodi is able to do everything quickly and smoothly. That eliminates the network and the NAS devices themselves. 

It is tough to make the comparison to Kodi as Kodi stores the entire database on the client and only accesses the NAS when playback is initiated. Also Kodi is just inherently quick to start playback because it doesn't need to think about how it wants the file delivered. The Emby clients do store some library information on client device in a cache but it still needs to contact the server fairly often which can slow things down a bit.

1000Mbit lan will help a bit. Moving Emby or at least the database/cache directories to an SSD will also help out. 

I don't use the Android Server app but I'm willing to bet the a true PC running a full OS will be the better option 9 times out of 10.

Edit: I'm a fan of linux and run it on all my servers. I can't say it is any faster over Windows on high end hardware but there is definitely some performance to be gained on lower end hardware where a stripped down OS leaves more resources for apps like Emby. 

Edited by Jdiesel

efigalaxie

Hi there, can we look at an example of slow behavior? Please attach the information requested in how to report a problem:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/790-how-to-report-a-problem/?view=getnewpost

Thanks !

I am not at home right now where I can get you logs etc. I have uninstalled completely and reinstalled. I really tend to think that it is a hardware bottleneck. I am suspicious of the network adapter. I am also tired of dear old Uncle Bill making my server go offline without me knowing due to one update or another.

The hardware spec in the wiki is insanely antiquated..... Give me a hardware spec where Emby is going to run as close to Kodi in speed of menu delivery, thumbnail directory smoothness and fast scrolling.

What are people here running that have huge libraries? No one running Emby Server on a core 2 duo is running it well unless they only have a very small library.

Also, I am already running Emby on a sdd.

Edited by efigalaxie

efigalaxie

Pertinent to where this topic is, I am getting the sense that the Shield is likely no answer to my issues. If not, close this one. I will move over to the pertinent area.

Performance wise for server, is Linux superior to windows?