WTV files, Can't Play Video error

dwhiting

dwhiting

Hi, when using the Android app on my ASUS Transformer TF101, with External Player turned on and all mappings setup in the Server, I can play .avi files fine, but when I try to play a recorded MPEG2 TV show in a .wtv file and selecting MX Player as my external player, I get the error "Can't Play Video".  As using mapped folders is supposed to allow clients to stream directly over LAN instead of the server sending it transcoded, why isn't this working.  MX Player can play the video no problem over the LAN if I open it through a file explorer on my Android.  Shouldn't the app just send the mapped path to the external player?

As this was not working, I turned off External Player in the app.  The file then plays in the app but it's being transcoded and the deinterlacing is not being done so the quality is very bad, plus it puts too much load on my server PC. 

Please let me know if there's something I can try.

• 2 weeks later...
christoph86

I have tried mx player as an external player on my android device and I get the same error for wtv files. I don't know the answer. Anyone?

Tikuf

Luke and I are working on better interlaced detection as i type this. 

Have you tried switching off hls in favor of ts streaming. Some asus devices (not sure about yours) have a bad implementation of hls.

If you use an external player the file is not streamed using mapped folders it is done by statically calling the file with the server (or it would never work outside your lan).

Allowing direct file system access for external players would be a nice optimization. It just will take a little work. First he has to test if the file is directly accessible by the device. The problem with that though is that when it's not available you may end up having to wait for the test to timeout, which isn't ideal. So inevitably it could end up requiring user configuration to turn it on, which gets a little messy, e.g. why aren't my files playing, oh wait, i left then setting on when i should have turned it off.

Redshirt

Allowing direct file system access for external players would be a nice optimization. It just will take a little work. First he has to test if the file is directly accessible by the device. The problem with that though is that when it's not available you may end up having to wait for the test to timeout, which isn't ideal. So inevitably it could end up requiring user configuration to turn it on, which gets a little messy, e.g. why aren't my files playing, oh wait, i left then setting on when i should have turned it off.

Android can't natively see windows shares. File managers and other apps have added code/libraries to provide this functionality.

The Android client will get there, but for now, direct stream is the closest I can get.

I could pass the direct file path to an external player, but would have no way of knowing if that player can directly access the file system.

Edited by Redshirt