Syncing to other users' devices

computerprep

computerprep

I don't know how long it's worked this way, but I've recently realized that if I allow users to download & sync, they are allowed to do so to any device even if it belongs to another user.

Is there some setting I'm just not seeing that will allow downloading and/or syncing, but only to that user's devices?

Maybe splitting downloading permissions from syncing permissions will let someone download to the device they're using but not to any other device whether it's theirs or not.

For now, I've had to disallow all downloading and syncing, which is causing a bit of a headache.

They're able to sync to all devices they've been granted access to based on device access settings.

But should Harry be able to sync to Bob's phone when Harry doesn't even know Bob let alone ever logged in on his device?

Spaceboy

But should Harry be able to sync to Bob's phone when Harry doesn't even know Bob let alone ever logged in on his device?

surely the server admin has to decide that. Unless emby has an understanding of what are likely to be shared devices or not

surely the server admin has to decide that. Unless emby has an understanding of what are likely to be shared devices or not

I'd say "absolutely not".  I do not want MS, Netflix, Hulu deciding who can access my device just because I login into their service. :)

Simply put if a device has never been logged in with said username that person has no authentication on said device and can't touch it.

Non admin users should only be able to see, sync or manage a device they have authenticated on, period.  Otherwise this is a major security issue!

computerprep

Or split the permissions to download vs sync. So users can only download or set automatic download rules on the device they're currently using. That would address @@cayars responses too.

• 3 weeks later...
computerprep

So @@Luke, I've taken your suggestion of strictly allowing access to certain devices per user. Now someone just bought a new Roku.

They can't sign in on that device because I haven't allowed it, but I can't allow it because it's not in the dashboard's devices list because it hasn't signed in by anyone yet.

Are we stuck in this loop unless I temporarily allow them access to all devices?