Hdhomerun prime

Relle1

How many people on my media server simultaneously can view live TV with my hdhomerun prime? I'm set up with the 15 devices with a few family members. Can all 15 devices access live TV via hdhomerun prime simultaneously?

LongMan

To extend what Sammy said...

If you have one HD Homerun Prime with three tuners, you are able to tuned to three different channels. However, multiple users can stream each channel. In other words, all 15 people can watch, if your server can handle it. However, they are restricted to one of the three streams. TBH i don't use Emby's Live TV, I use TV Headend. However, it should be similar with Emby, it is a server.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

LongMan

• Like 1

I was looking into purchasing a hdhomerun prime for the 3 turner connections. So can all 15 people watch 3 different channels simultaneously? Can all 15 people receive access to those 3 connections at the same time? I'm just trying to get some clear understanding so I know how to proceed! Also, is TV headend a similar server like emby, or do you use it through emby like a plug-in? Thanks in advance

The device can tune to a maximum of 3 channels at once.  As many people as you wish could theoretically watch those three channels.

15 people could all watch CNN

or

3 people could watch CNN

3 people could watch MSNBC

9 people could watch Fox News

On the other hand if there are no recordings and

1st person tunes to CNN

2nd person tunes to MSNBC

3rd person tunes to Fox News

4th person now tries to watch ABC but will get an error as all 3 tuners are in use.  This person however could tune to CNN MSNBC or Fox News.

Does that help?

LongMan

Just a Heads up. The Prime is no longer listed on the HD HomeRun site. Prime 6 is listed as coming soon. Might be worth it to wait a little.

Since your knowledge of how a TV Server works seems more limited than my own, limited as it is.

I will add that each recording acts like a user and usually takes priority over other users. So using cayars example above, if you schedule a recording on ABC at the same time as the tuners are tuned to CNN, Fox News and MSNBC, the DVR will take one of the tuners. Other users can still watch the stream (ABC) as it is being recorded and the other two. It also gives the option of watching from the beginning if you join after the recording has started.

TVHeadend is separate tv server from Emby. However it has a steep learning curve. Emby Live TV is much, much, much easier to set up. Emby. easy to set up and use. TVHeadend more difficult but more granular controls.

Take the plunge, you will love it

Cheers,

LongMan

That's not the case.  If 3 users are currently watching 3 different channels there will be ZERO tuners available for the DVR.

At present there is no priority or conflict resolution in Emby so the DVR will keep checking every minute to see if a tuner is freed up to start recording late.

• 4 months later...
andycruz77

The device can tune to a maximum of 3 channels at once.  As many people as you wish could theoretically watch those three channels.

Is this limited to the local users or can remote users access live TV as well?