iRule Remote Control

iainsheppard

iainsheppard

Hi There,

does anyone use iRule for controlling their HTPC remotely with Media browser?

Thanks

Iain

wraslor

I have been playing around with it and touchsquid.  Irule is a little more difficult to design but offers greater customization while touchsquid is easier but not as much design ability.  One benefit TS has is that it can use an internal IR blaster of your device where irule can't.

iainsheppard

Thanks for that leaning towards the harmony ultimate again as I would need to purchase a tablet to use for TouchSquid / iRule.

zombieagain

Yes I do. I've been improving the setup over time and there is a little learning curve, but I'm pretty happy with it. I actually use it to control EventGhost. Eventghost takes care to control media browser and allthe other softwareThis is what it looks like on my nexus 7:

534993cd80fe7_irule.png

Yes and love it. Irule has info on their site to use mcecommand via network so no ir is needed. I have been even setting up my own commands with it to open mbt,close it and switch resolutions.

wraslor

Yes and love it. Irule has info on their site to use mcecommand via network so no ir is needed. I have been even setting up my own commands with it to open mbt,close it and switch resolutions.

Could you elaborate how you are doing those commands?

After you set it up their is a text file that contains all the commands. A sample exists for loading xbmc. I used that and changed the info to mbt and send that command via irule. For resolution changes i set a hot key with an external program then defined that. If you need more info i can paste my entries here.

wraslor

After you set it up their is a text file that contains all the commands. A sample exists for loading xbmc. I used that and changed the info to mbt and send that command via irule. For resolution changes i set a hot key with an external program then defined that. If you need more info i can paste my entries here.

Yes please for example in the config file I see this: <StartProcess Cmd="XBMC" File="C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\XBMC.exe" />

In irule the app has:

name: Start XBMC 32bit windows

Data: Start_XBMC_x86\x0D

How does that correspond to the above?

Also any advice on how to send space command and ctrl+x

So I made up a command in irule

name: MBT

Data: MBT\x0D

Then in the command file for mce controller I added this:

<StartProcess Cmd="MBT" File="C:\Users\shepP\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Theater\System\MediaBrowser.UI.exe" />

I tired to get ctrl-x working but for some reason I think I failed so I just used the built in Close MCE command to close MBT.

To send the space command you would just look up the Windows virtual keycode and use that value.  For example here is my command for resolution change:

<SendInput Cmd="1080p23" vk="97" Shift="true" Ctrl="true" Alt="true" />

I then set up HotKey Resolution Changer 2.1 with that hot key for that resolution.

• 5 months later...
gator99

Sorry to bring this topic back to life, but with the new updates (conditionals) with iRule, I have started to build again with iRule.

With that said, currently their is no way to get feedback from my HTPC (what channel I am currently watching i.e. 434) with MCE Controller.  So I have been searching around on Greenbutton and here as well as silicondust's site but nothing really and not sure where to start.

I have noticed that ServerWMC can query and let you know what channel is recording so there seems to be a way but I have no idea where to start.  I believe irule ideally would need a HTTP gateway to query/collect info but not sure if that is possible with Windows Media Center (Windows 7).

Anyone else thinking or wanting this ability with iRule?