Why Emby for ATV is requesting to enter a pin for a first time use?

Richard Branches
Go to solution Solved by Richard Branches,

Richard Branches

All of my ATV boxes did this after oreo update.   

That's my suspicion, this started to happen when Oreo arrived.

Richard Branches

Oh...  I misunderstood you.    Not sure why the mobile app is not asking for a pin the first time.  All of my apps mobile and ATV asked for pins the first time.   

What Android version do you have in your mobile devices?

Richard Branches

Oh...  I misunderstood you.    Not sure why the mobile app is not asking for a pin the first time.  All of my apps mobile and ATV asked for pins the first time.   

Can you please tell me, what Android version do you have in your mobile devices?

Richard Branches

I'm going to assume your mobile devices are under Oreo, if that's the case then this looks like a normal "post-oreo" behavior, I think that's OK, but I wonder if Emby devs had a clue about it or they were just like me, anyway, I'm going to wait to get a phone with Android Oreo in my hands to confirm this. Thank you.

Edited by delacosta78

The mobile app will ask you to sign in, but it does not use the pin code process. The pin code process is only for TV apps. Mobile and desktop apps will have you login with a username and password. In the end, the result is the same, you get signed in using one of the two methods.

Richard Branches

desktop apps will have you login with a username and password

What desktop apps? I installed the Windows store emby app and I was asked to enter the pin.

That's because the default mode of that app is TV mode. In mobile or desktop layout mode it would instead ask for username/password.

• 9 months later...
  • Solution
Richard Branches

And this is the answer to this topic: I guess this menu is new, I don't remember seeing it before, but I selected the second option to avoid asking to login when using the app for the first time inside the LAN, It's inside the "Profile" settings:

5d47507f327f7_Screenshot.png

Edited by Richard Branches