Real time monitoring on Synology

Romesnil

solabc16

Hello @@Interwebz

No problem at all, thanks for the update - can you attach the server log covering the above.

How many movies/shows do you have in total under the paths configured on the (original) library with real-time monitoring enabled?

If the test continues to be successful, can you try adding a second path to the test library and see if it continues working.

Best

- James

Interwebz

Hi @@solabc16

Will PM you the log.

600+ movies, 27 shows and 1700+ episodes.

I tried /volime1/media/MovieTest with a subfolder 4k/moviename/moviename.mkv which was successful. I then proceeded with /volime1/media/MovieTest/4k and /volime1/media/MovieTest/web with the same structure.  I then added a new dummie movie in /web/dummie/dummie.mkv which was picked up. I take it as this new library works with my desired folder structure.  I'm tempted to rescrape the movie library, I need to fix the posters anyway since I haven't done that since the 3.5 to 4.0 upgrade.

Update: I went a head and recreated the original library and only added '/volume1/media/movies/web' it did not pick up the movie in '/volime1/media/movies/web/Movie/movie.mkv'.  The only thing I did differently was to add 'Shared network folder' path.

Edited by Interwebz

solabc16

Thanks for the logs @@Interwebz, it does indeed appear to be behaving as expected for your tests, but doesn't explain why the real-time monitoring on your existing library isn't working.

It could be hitting iNotify limits, but I'm cautious about jumping to that conclusion based on the size of your library and/or any of the usual exceptions we see.

As library scans are completing ok, it would also suggest there are no problems with the permissions on the directories included in your library.

Can you restart Emby Server, give it a couple of minutes, then add a single title to your main library then run the Send Logs utility : https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Synology-:-How-to-Send-us-Support-Logs

Best

- James

Interwebz

Sorry, I have been busy testing and might have jumped ahead.

Recreating my movie library from scratch using the same name and just the single path mentioned earlier does not trigger any RTM scans. Renaming that library to something else does not help (long shot that it would be tied to something in the db, I have no clue).  Deleting this library and yet again recreating the movie library with the same path but with a new name does not trigger RTM scans either.

The only difference from the above and the test libraries that works is that I did not use '/volume1/media/movies' but instead I used ''/volume1/media/MovieTest'' and ''/volume1/media/test''.  The later one still works with RTM.  I'm out of ideas.

Restarted Emby, waited a few min, added one episode to my main TV library but I'm unable to send the log. :(

>> Sending archive...
-- Size: 226M
-- HTTP Status: 500
FAILED

solabc16

Hello @@Interwebz

Ok, definitely something going on here we need to understand - so, to make sure I've got this right, the same structure under...

volume1/media/MovieTest or /volume1/media/test

...works,but under...

/volume1/media/movies

...doesn't?

The failure above will be down to log file sizes, there must be a few larges files there. Run the following to find the largest files...

ls -lhrS /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/var/logs

...and perhaps clear a few of them.

Then repeat the above, including restarting Emby Server.

Best

- James

Interwebz

@@solabc16

To be clear.

/volume1/media/MovieTest or /volume1/media/test <- Works

Movie Library with the below two paths also worked.

/volume1/media/MovieTest/4k

/volume1/media/MovieTest/web

During my tests, I used a single path and that was '/volume1/media/movies/web' and '/Movie/Movie.mkv' that did not work. Something is up with this path.

sendlogs_X-FILES_synology_apollolake_918+_20190202T231337UTC.tgz

Thank you

solabc16

Ok, thanks @@Interwebz.

I'll come back to this again tomorrow.

We'll need to bring some more diagnostic tools to the table, as we're not getting any useful from the logs to explain what's happening on your system.

Best

- James

solabc16

...one question, when did you last cold start your system?

i.e. shut it down and power it back up?

Best

- James

Interwebz

@@solabc16

System uptime is 26 days.

I've had this issue for quite some time.  I cannot remember exactly which release were it stopped working but it must have been back in 3.2.x.x or 3.3.x.x.  There was a release a while back were Emby crashed frequently.  The workaround was to disable RTM and I haven't been able to get it to work since. It's nice to know that it works again but the million dollar question is why it's not working on my normal libraries. :)

Thank you for today.

solabc16

No problem @@Interwebz, if you have an opportunity can you try a cold start.

The real-time monitoring relies on functionality provided by the kernel.

So it would be good to eliminate any underlying operating system issue, before we start further troubleshooting steps.

Best

- James

Interwebz

Morning @@solabc16!

Rebooted the system this morning. I then went ahead and added an episode in the root folder of the test library i.e. to '/volume1/media/test/' and 'episode.mkv'. The system picks it up according to the log but is not visible on the front-end side.  I then did the same thing with my main library '/volume1/media/tv-shows/hd/' and '/Name.Of.Show/Season.Nr/Episode.mkv' and nothing happened.

Previous tests done indicated that '/volume1/media/test/hd/' and '/Name.Of.Show/Season.Nr/Episode.mkv' works so the folder structure should work.

sendlogs_X-FILES_synology_apollolake_918+_20190203T085313UTC.tgz

Update 1: Did another test which might bring me closer to a solution. I decided to recreate my TV library.  After everything was scanned I added one episode to '/volume1/media/tv-shows/hd/NameOfShow/Season.#/Episode.mkv' no luck. I then went a head and dropped the same episode in the following path '/volume1/media/tv-shows/hd/', which is one out four root folders for my TV library and vióla! Emby's RTM picks up the episode pretty instantly. 

2019-02-04 20:39:55.724 Debug LibraryMonitor: New file refresher created for /volume1/media/tv-shows/hd/Episode.mkv
2019-02-04 20:39:55.805 Debug LibraryMonitor: Resetting file refresher from /volume1/media/tv-shows/hd/Episode.mkv to /volume1/media/tv-shows/hd

However, the episode is not visible under the particular show and season in Emby's front-end, I'm thinking this is due to the different paths but might be wrong here.  Trying the same approach for my movies in order to exclude a potential multi-path issue for TV shows from the equation.  To my disappointment, the movie library is not picking up the movie and the logic kind of fails on me.

Did one more test and that was to move back to the episode to its main location, thinking that since it was scanned but not visible, it somehow would show up in the front-end.  To my surprise I actually see another update and this time the episode is visible in the front-end.  I then proceeded with another episode from the same show and dropped it under its main location, nothing happens.

Could anyone tell me what's going on here? :)

Update 2: This is must be partially related to ACL's on the file system.  Even though Emby can access my whole library (read&write), RTM is not working properly.  Changing recursive ownership on '/volume1/media/tv-shows' and '/volume1/media/movies' triggers 'LibraryMonitor: New file refresher created for' entries in the log for already added items on the spot!

After reimplementing the ACL's, I dropped a movie in '/volume1/media/movies/hd' but this did not trigger RTM.  I then moved the exact same movie to '/volume1/media/movies/4k' and RTM picked it up. Further testing reveals that the bold paths below now have RTM working (just created a random file as verification).

'/volume1/media/movies/4k'
'/volume1/media/movies/hd
'/volume1/media/movies/sd'
'/volume1/media/movies/web'

As for my TV show library it's a different result.

'/volume1/media/tv-shows/4k'
'/volume1/media/tv-shows/hd'  <- Partially works
'/volume1/media/tv-shows/sd'
'/volume1/media/tv-shows/web'

Emby picks them up in this order.

2019-02-06 21:00:06.408 Info LibraryMonitor: Watching directory /volume1/media/movies/hd
2019-02-06 21:00:06.412 Info LibraryMonitor: Watching directory /volume1/media/recordings
2019-02-06 21:00:06.417 Info LibraryMonitor: Watching directory /volume1/media/tv-shows/4k
2019-02-06 21:00:06.417 Info LibraryMonitor: Watching directory /volume1/media/movies/sd
2019-02-06 21:00:06.424 Info LibraryMonitor: Watching directory /volume1/media/tv-shows/sd
2019-02-06 21:00:06.426 Info LibraryMonitor: Watching directory /volume1/media/movies/web

2019-02-06 21:00:06.428 Info LibraryMonitor: Watching directory /volume1/media/tv-shows/web
2019-02-06 21:00:06.434 Info LibraryMonitor: Watching directory /volume1/media/movies/4k
2019-02-06 21:00:06.508 Info LibraryMonitor: Watching directory /volume1/media/tv-shows/hd

I can't really make sense of this. :(

Edited by Interwebz

• 2 weeks later...

If you see these entries:

New file refresher created

Then the events are firing and it's possible some adjustments need to be made within Emby. If you don't see those at all, then the issue is outside of Emby.

Interwebz

While I understand the answere the behaviour is not consistent on my end. I see new file refreshers on 2/4 root folders in my Movie library and 3/4 root folders on my Tv-Show library. However, if I dig deeper down in the folder structure and create a temp file, I do not see any new file refreshers being created in the same path that works on root folder level.  I have reset the file permissions on the root folders with inheritance.

It's still an issue and I'm looking in to it.

• 2 weeks later...
Mick_K

I'm suffering the same problem - RTM is not picking up new additions, however, a manual library scan does.  Like Interwebz, I also have a DS-918+.

I have RTM selected in my library settings and my folder setup is /volume1/Public/Movies (I also have shared network folder set to \\DS-918\Public\Movies).

I know you will ask for logs but I'm not sure which logs to send embyserver.txt or embyserver-bunchofnumbers.txt? Both are massive. Is there any way to clear the logs and send in fresh one after I have added a new movie? Do I enable Debug Logging first?

• 2 months later...
Interwebz

This has not improved for me in the latest release.  I have not had time to do any further troubleshooting.  I have been doing business travels for over a month now.  I kind of have given up on this.  It seems ACL related and possibly related to how I have setup my library. I just wanted to let you know.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
Interwebz

Hi guys,

I just picked this up again on Emby 4.5.4.0.  I recently migrated from my old 918+ to a new Synology box.  I decided to do a clean install of Emby but I still face the same issue.  Maybe this will help someone else...

RTM would not work for me unless I gave Emby user ownership of the media library on the actual file system (not on a share level). I previously had it setup that way but after the clean install, the old Emby user got a new GUID and it stopped working.  After this update and a restart of the Emby server (not the NAS) it started to work again, somewhat.

drwx------+  70 emby users  16384 Feb  7 00:31 4k
drwx------+ 608 emby users 135168 Feb  7 00:32 hd
drwx------+  12 emby users   4096 Feb  7 00:33 sd
drwx------+   5 emby users   4096 Feb  7 00:34 web

Not for all my library folders unfortunately. 'hd' and 'web' do not pick up any changes. I can't make any sense of this. I first though that 608 movies was too much but then you have 'web' that only contains 5 moves and still doesn't work.

2021-02-07 00:31:36.173 Debug LibraryMonitor: New file refresher created for /volume1/media/movies/4k/New folder
2021-02-07 00:32:07.936 Debug LibraryMonitor: New file refresher created for /volume1/media/movies/sd/New Microsoft Excel Worksheet.xlsx
2021-02-07 00:32:08.100 Debug LibraryMonitor: Resetting file refresher from /volume1/media/movies/sd/New Microsoft Excel Worksheet.xlsx to /volume1/media/movies/sd
2021-02-07 00:32:42.781 Debug LibraryMonitor: Timer stopped.
2021-02-07 00:32:42.792 Info LibraryMonitor: 4k (/volume1/media/movies/4k) will be refreshed.
2021-02-07 00:32:42.972 Debug XmlSerializer: Deserializing file /volume1/Emby/config/users/42695d404782490e9321b2090d31f951/policy.xml
2021-02-07 00:32:42.975 Debug XmlSerializer: Deserializing file /volume1/Emby/config/users/057c7e68055941cbaf1b26c4e3374e64/policy.xml
2021-02-07 00:32:42.975 Debug XmlSerializer: Deserializing file /volume1/Emby/config/users/78f037b3a11640c8844f13b5fa63657c/policy.xml
2021-02-07 00:32:42.975 Debug XmlSerializer: Deserializing file /volume1/Emby/config/users/5c83d20d864947ef8ce52169a9796c38/policy.xml
2021-02-07 00:32:43.211 Debug XmlSerializer: Deserializing file /volume1/Emby/config/metadata.xml
2021-02-07 00:33:14.281 Debug LibraryMonitor: Timer stopped.
2021-02-07 00:33:14.291 Info LibraryMonitor: sd (/volume1/media/movies/sd) will be refreshed.
2021-02-07 00:33:31.202 Debug LibraryMonitor: New file refresher created for /volume1/media/movies/sd/New Rich Text Document.rtf
2021-02-07 00:34:37.286 Debug LibraryMonitor: Timer stopped.
2021-02-07 00:34:37.288 Info LibraryMonitor: sd (/volume1/media/movies/sd) will be refreshed.

I have also tried the suggested notify fix but no luck for me.

cat /proc/sys/fs/inotify/max_user_watches

Anyway, anyone struggling with this and have less folders than I do, try changing the ACL's and restart Emby, should work.

Edited by Interwebz

• 3 months later...
Tolerant

I have a sys 19 5 bay.. and my RTM never seems to work.. is there a solution or something I should have enabled/changed to allow it to pick up changes with adding new shows/movies without my needing to do a manual scan?

Hi, did you try what's posted just a couple posts up?