Streaming to Chromecast stops randomly

raconteur

raconteur
Server: v3.5.3 on iMac (3.5GHz i5, 16GB RAM, macOS 10.13.6), with wired connection to home router

Client: Emby for Android (latest version) running on a Nexus 10, Android v5.1.1

Target: Chromecast (non-Ultra) connected to a Samsung TV

Router: Billion 7800DX (802.11n) with latest firmware

After jumping ship from Plex, I'm giving Emby a go.  The Emby UI is great - it's simple, clean, and it shows me my unwatched videos in a list view, sorted by date added, which is more than Plex could manage.

What's not great is that streaming playback sometimes stops for no obvious reason.  It happened three times in the space of an hour while watching one show.  Other times, playback proceeds without any issues.  When it happens, the 'Emby is ready - choose something to play' screen is displayed.  (Apologies for not being able to remember the exact wording.)  No one was interacting with Emby at the time, either on the client or server.  To resume playback, I have to disconnect Emby from the Chromecast, then reconnect.

I'm copping abuse from fellow watchers (not least my wife) when this happens, so a fix/workaround is desired quickly!

Server log file is attached.  Couldn't find a log file on the Android device as the folder /Android/data/com.mb.android doesn't exist.

The symptoms described in the post below sound similar.

embyserver.txt

Edited by raconteur

Hi there, are you sure this is the log from when you played content with Chromecast? I don't see any playback activity in this log. Thanks !

Can you try lowering the in-app chromecast quality setting? try setting it to a low value such as 1 mbps. Please let us know if this helps. thanks.

raconteur

Haven't used Emby since it last happened on 12 Oct (log above).  I'm reluctant to risk incurring the wrath of my fellow watchers again, but I'll capture more log files if you need me to.  Are there any other settings tweaks you can suggest I make first?

AxelAxel3

I reported this error a couple weeks ago as well. I noticed it most from Live TV. After changing the quality a couple weeks ago, it helped for the most part, but I have still seen it happen a couple times since while casting to Chromecast.

Edit: sorry, I read the post too fast. I re-read it and mine actually just went black and didn't show the ready to cast screen.

Edited by Darkstyrm