viewing/transcoding ts-files

d-e-n

We have a brand new Sony 49XF9005 tv and as our Windows HTPC has died we are trying to see if  Emby on Android TV could be our new mediaplayer.  We are streaming from a Windows 10 server which runs Emby.  The positive: most files run fluently on our TV.   Emby runs smoother than Kodi on Android TV so that is a big plus.

But there are some problems with TS-files which we recorded with DVBlink tv-server.  When playing in the browser on the laptop the TS-files run fine.  But in Android TV there are issues.  With the standard settings these files don't play.  We get a blue circle which stays on screen for minutes.  TS-files on Kodi do play by the way.  But I would really like to keep everything in Emby.

When I change the setting "convert deinterlaced HD-content on server"  to "yes" the files do in fact play. 

What does this setting mean?  Does this force server transcoding for all HD files?  I thought other (downloaded) files seamed a bit fuzzier after I enabled the setting (like they are transcoded with less quality) but I could have imagined this because there are no logs of transcoding these movie files.  There are special transcode logs of the TS-files though. 

The TS-file has a H264 codec and a 1920x1080 res, recorded with DVBlink server.

The movie-file I tried is a downloaded 1080p rip with a H264 codec.

Server pc is a Windows 10 pro pc with a J3455 CPU and 8GB ram.

Edit:

I stumbled on another issue: double subtitles.   This is an old Seinfeld episode with four languages  within the file itself.  When selecting subs I get double subtitles.   I thought Emby maybe downloaded extra subs and not recognizing the original ones but that would mean a file would be downloaded in the folder.  And that is not the case.

Edited by d-e-n

Hi.  That setting will only transcode interlaced content and just to de-interlace it.

It is possible that the beta of the app will play these files better.  However, they will need to be remuxed in order to be seekable.

As for the subtitles, that sounds like the video itself has subtitles burned into it.