Reinstall host and keep config ?

NicCo

Hi,

I would like to reinstall my host server where Emby is hosted. Is it possible to export configuration, reinstall host + emby and import configuration in order to keep all settings, users, DB, etc... ?

Thank you !

EODCrafter

Hi,

I would like to reinstall my host server where Emby is hosted. Is it possible to export configuration, reinstall host + emby and import configuration in order to keep all settings, users, DB, etc... ?

Thank you !

Those are all files you can copy then paste back in I think they are in AppData on Windows, but the question is why reinstall when all your gonna do is add everything back in? I'm not sure what the Backup Plugin does and what it saves but you may want to use it.

I have my Server in the Root in Windows but yours is Probably AppData/roaming or something.....

5bb5fd3955bc3_Screenshotfrom201810040644

Edited by EODCrafter

Thank you :)

I would like to reinstall my host because I installed some software and now my system is less stable. And I would like to make a clean install of Windows 1809.

All files are in "C:\Users\MyUser\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server", it contains programdata and system.

I can copy my Emby-Server, reinstall OS and copy it back ?

Or perhaps I could create a VM (OS Ubuntu or Debian) and get all media files from my Windows host ? It permits to separate both.

EODCrafter

Thank you :)

I would like to reinstall my host because I installed some software and now my system is less stable. And I would like to make a clean install of Windows 1809.

All files are in "C:\Users\MyUser\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server", it contains programdata and system.

I can copy my Emby-Server, reinstall OS and copy it back ?

Or perhaps I could create a VM (OS Ubuntu or Debian) and get all media files from my Windows host ? It permits to separate both.

You just need the ProgramData Folder...Do you have a USB Stick or a CD? Put that folder on there before proceeding....Make sure the server is shutdown before doing this.

Edited by EODCrafter

A last question : if I reinstall Emby Server to a new location, do you think it could work ? I would like to install to a new directory, perhaps like you at Windows root.

Hitsville

Not meaning to Hijack but im kind of in the same boat.

A new version of W10 seems like an ideal time for a fresh start and finally get Plex off my system. Yay!!

So a few questions on top of what was already asked.

1. In Plex I had a dedicated SSD purely for metadata and server settings. Then if and when I decided to reinstall I would simply point the new Plex install to that folder. Is that still a viable option in Emby?  So basically are there settings that will allow me to have the settings in  C:\Users\MyUser\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server stored on a different drive? 

2. If not, does the backup server config (which I haven't looked at yet) achieve something similar? 

3. Are there advantages or disadvantages to actually storing all the metadata in with the media folder? Other than slower scanning as a disadvantage and I'm in no real hurry. 

Basically Im just looking for the best way going forward bearing in mind I tend to reinstall my server once a year. 

Any tips and thoughts would be great. 

Just to add I tend to use network paths for my media folders if that makes a difference so even after a reinstall the media paths wouldn't change. 

EDIT.... Actually I should have looked at the wiki so apologies. So if I store my metadata with the media and install the config backup plugin..I should be all good, especially with non changing media paths. :)

Edited by Hitsville

Happy2Play

Hey Guys....On the Download Page Luke has provided the Portable Version....That's what you Need.

5bb648999df1a_Screenshotfrom201810041205

Portable really applies to Custom install location not movable.  There are some changes that have been implemented with but if you are moving to a new location there can be path issues in the database.

If no paths change, there shouldn't be any issues with coping folders from one to the other.  But Ideally the plugin is the best method as you are building a new database and restoring users and userdata along with previous configuration.

There are some changes that have been implemented with but if you are moving to a new location there can be path issues in the database.

Depends on how old the installation is. A fresh install of 3.6 can be moved around as much as you like.

Plugin seems to be the best method but it's a Premiere feature, and it's the only feature with an interest for me in the Premiere pack :(

EODCrafter

Plugin seems to be the best method but it's a Premiere feature, and it's the only feature with an interest for me in the Premiere pack :(

A 1 Month Subscription doesn't break the bank does it?

EODCrafter

No of course but everytime I need to backup or restore I must suscribe 1 month.

You could just copy the ProgramData folder as I described and put it back in the correct spot. But I suppose since you want to move it your initial use will require the Backup Plugin. I'm interested to test if the Server location can actually be moved using this plugin or if it must forever remain in the Appdata folder. Never tried it. @@Luke

I'm actually quite surprised that this would potentially "Break" Emby by moving the server location. I would of thought the Databases would be a little more adaptive than that.

Luke has said (Fresh) 3.6 and above is fine to move...How old is your Server?

Edited by EODCrafter
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've reinstalled my computer and now I would like to install a fresh install of Emby. I don't need to keep my old configuration or migrate it, so if I install 3.6 beta I will get 3.6 stable automatically or only beta versions ? 

Is it better to reinstall latest stable (3.5.3) and let the server auto upgrade when 3.6 stable will be available ? Or install 3.6 beta now and install 3.6 stable over when available ?

Thank you !

Edited by NicCo

You would only get beta versions on the beta. You would install the beta because you're interested in helping testing. If that's not the case, then stable is the better choice for you. Thanks.