Upgrade my gear new device for Emby

IceBoosteR

IceBoosteR

Hi all,

in the neartime I want to upgrade my Hi-Fi setup and my TV aswell. Currently I do have a Samsung TV and the Emby app runs fine. But the new TV I would like to buy does not support Dolby Atmos or DTS, so transcoding will happen - and I do not like that to happen.

Therefore I will buy a new AVR (for example a Denon one), but this can only handle DLNA and I do not see the GUI of Emby as I do not have an app installed. And this is why I use Emby to see information about hte movie, trailers and actors...

On the other hand I will need to buy a new BluRay player with UHD support. This will be able to handle all audio codecs from DTS:X to Dolby Atmos with Dolby Vision, and I would like to run Emby maybe on this device. Is this possible?

I do not want to buy a 200$ device just for Emby.

Have you some advice for me?

Thanks.

(Note: I was told that even if I install Emby on my new TV and have my audio pass-thru via Bitstream to my AVR, then I do not get Atmos ot work, as the TV needs also Atmos support in the first place, otherwise transcoding will happen)

Edited by IceBoosteR

Guest asrequested

There are only a few apps/devices that will do what you want. HTPC/Theater desktop, Shield TV/Android TV. Kodi is another.

IceBoosteR

Uhh....

Those devices are all expensive :/

Kodi sounds good, but there is a lack of a suitable device for this.