Emby using full swap when there is 25% used RAM

Loke

Hello,

so I did an clean install of the latest version to my home server which has 4 threads, 8G ram and 2G swap running ubuntu 18.04

I was getting low fps on transcoding so I played a bit with the settings. That's when I saw that the swap was fully used 2/2G while ram was at 1.7/8G.

Checked what was using swap and 1.9/2G of swap was used by the emby process. As a result there was huge overhead since emby was constantly writing/reading from swap.

So I swapoff & swappiness = 10 & cache_pressure = 50 & swapon and it did seem to help at first got almost 1.5x fps with 2 threads, till I chose a new episode. Instantly I started seeing swap being populated.

I will remove swap since there is no real need for it + OS is on SSD but this must be a bug right?

Also  when you add a library it asks that emby has read access to it. From what I tried if you don't also give write access it won't accept it.

So 750 with loke:emby = no go

770 with loke:emby = yes go

750 with emby:loke = yes go

Stats after swap was flushed:

Swap contents:
kB      pid     name
========================================
1106484 30909   EmbyServer

free -m
              total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:           7469        2234        4743         117         491        4872
Swap:          2047        1193         854

Edited by Loke

A couple things you could try are removing the anime plugin as well as turning off the server's dlna features. thanks.

So I removed the anime plugin and swap didn't get used. Great right? So I installed it again to re-produce, swap didn't get used...

I have installed it, started different eps that require transcoding and waited couple of minutes, removed, started different eps that require transcoding and waited couple of minutes about 3-4 times. No swap got used.

I 'll check if something changes if I add a new series in the library that uses the plugin. Can't think of anything else.