Emby - TV Show Recording File Creation. Play back Studdering

davedick

davedick

Not sure which section this belongs.  I usually use Emby Theater on XB1 for all Emby Usage, and having Emby handle my TV show recordings

I recorded NCIS Los Angeles (S10 Ep1) this evening.  When I tried to play it back, the video studders (video/audio freezes every few seconds, then plays fine for a few minutes and studders, etc)

When I tried to play the video directly on the computer, it also would do the same thing.  When I copied the file to another machine to play it.. again it did the same thing.

Is there something that I need to change in Emby to possibly fix this?

It seems that any show recorded in Emby, or SiliconDust DVR, has studdering on playback.  When I look at the playback, it says it's direct playback

I wouldn't think it would be the hardware of the machine

I7 4790K, with 32 GB 1866mhz Ram

Samsung SSD, and storage is Easystore 8TB Red

embyserver.txt

Edited by davedick

HI, what if you try lowering the in-app quality setting to force a full transcode of the video?

davedick

When I lowered the playback quality it did help, along with another show.

If I left play back thru Emby theater on Auto, or 1080p 25 - 60 Mbps, I would see studder

1080p 20 Mbps - playback was better.

Lowering to 720p - 2 Mbps, there was no issues at all.

What would cause the need for a file to be transcoded for better playback, since I'm thinking the computer itself should be fine?

One other thing I'm going to try, is connecting the XB1 directly to the switch my Emby server is connected to.  Currently it goes -  Xb1 - Bedroom Switch -  Other Bedroom Switch - Living Room Switch - Emby Server.  I'm just not sure if that is a main cause of the issue

We're using the built-in xbox video player and it's probably just having trouble playing the .ts files, and the transcoding ends up fixing it by repackaging it.