Sharing from the app

Pog22

When I try to share from the app it seems to copy the description from metadata instead of giving a Url with a link to the media. It doesn't even include the title

The following is the output when I share a movie called Aardvark:

The aardvark has evolved to be one of a kind. You could say the same of Josh Norman. https://myhostname.com:8920/emby

Edited by colfin22

We're trying to avoid being labeled as a file sharing service so currently that is by design.

But it doesn't even contain the title? I can understand you not wanting to create a Url

MikePlanet

In the past, it was sharing a link, that opened the object within the local installed emby app - so only closed usergroup can see it and only dl if it is allowed. This imho was very nice, as it allowed to share interesting items to friends that share your server and let them see the full metadata entry on the phone.

In the past, it was sharing a link, that opened the object within the local installed emby app - so only closed usergroup can see it and only dl if it is allowed. This imho was very nice, as it allowed to share interesting items to friends that share your server and let them see the full metadata entry on the phone.

Yeah that is what I was expecting, to get a Url that only those logged in could see

It was a bulky feature for such a small thing. Assuming you wouldn't want all detail screens open to the world, it means we had to have a separate database just to manage what has been shared and how long the sharing is active for. And then we had to maintain a read-only clone of the detail screen that we were constantly accidentally breaking. When we have to deal with reports related to performance and resource consumption each day, then we have to make difficult decisions such as this. The feature wasn't sustainable and had to be simplified. Suggestions are welcome.  I am sure we can find some improvements to make in this simplified model that don't require bringing back all of the weight that it had before.

MikePlanet

It was a bulky feature for such a small thing. Assuming you wouldn't want all detail screens open to the world, it means we had to have a separate database just to manage what has been shared and how long the sharing is active for. And then we had to maintain a read-only clone of the detail screen that we were constantly accidentally breaking. When we have to deal with reports related to performance and resource consumption each day, then we have to make difficult decisions such as this. The feature wasn't sustainable and had to be simplified. Suggestions are welcome.  I am sure we can find some improvements to make in this simplified model that don't require bringing back all of the weight that it had before.

I think you misunderstood at least what I meant - not talking about a "public sharing" with separate db or whatever, I was just talking about sharing a link, that allows already existing users to get into the app and launch the detail screen of the shared item - similar to when I click on a link on a news page, that will then open the results in the app (if it is installed) - it would at any time be secured by the emby login for anyone else than the designated receipient.

Plus the basic info of the movie (title, image, whatever) - and maybe an imdb or tmdb link for ppl, that do not have an emby app with an account installed.

I don't know too much about the mobile world and how exactly things are working or not, but really liked the "old feature", could share an item via whatsapp to by brother, he tapped on it, it opened in his emby app and he could look at the details...

Edited by MikePlanet

Yea that's possible but usually you are sharing to someone else, and therefore that kind of url will expose your emby access token. So really to do that properly we have to first build up the authentication system so that we can have access tokens with only the minimum roles needed to be able to view that detail screen.

• Like 2

MikePlanet

Yea that's possible but usually you are sharing to someone else

well, me personally not - I only share to ppl who have access to my server - if they've not, I'd probably share a screenshot. Maybe that would be a "cheap" alternative!? - simply add a second sharing option to share a screenshot current screen as rendered image to share - that would avoid all difficulties about security etc., but still containing the most important informations (and is independant of any internal changes)

Yea that's possible but usually you are sharing to someone else, and therefore that kind of url will expose your emby access token. So really to do that properly we have to first build up the authentication system so that we can have access tokens with only the minimum roles needed to be able to view that detail screen.

We should only expose the "navigation link" - user has to login with his own account and will only be able to see the page, if he has the right to do that.

Having a system in place, that allows "guest access" for any non emby users for sharing purposes sure is a nice thing, but indeed, I could imagine this is a lot more work on implementation side ...

Edited by MikePlanet

MikePlanet

What if we don't have that, or what if it's a music album?

We could always add the metadata urls, that we have in our db for the item - same as are available within the item details screen.

But this only helps for "public" material - you can't share private photos, holiday videos and such things with those urls...

How is Ombi handling this, it gives an "view on Emby" clickable link that opens to the movie

Edited by colfin22

A clickable

It has a link to where?

A clickable link that directs to the movie in my Emby as I'm logged in in this browser

Ok i see. I think what is happening here is you're thinking strictly in terms of movies, whereas I am trying to craft a solution that can be applied to any kind of media.

Ok i see. I think what is happening here is you're thinking strictly in terms of movies, whereas I am trying to craft a solution that can be applied to any kind of media.

Ombi has support for movies, shows and music

Understood, but Emby also supports home videos and photos, and audio books, so we have to think about solutions that work universally.

Understood, but Emby also supports home videos and photos, and audio books, so we have to think about solutions that work universally.

But do you? There is probably no one size fits all solution to support all media including home videos and photos but downloaded media is easily achievable, even linkable to existing external databases

Also, Ombi authenticates with your Emby server just like an Emby app so it has authorization to view things that, say, Facebook wouldn't as easily.

Oh I wouldn't want to share on Facebook. Just being able to send a Url as a message would be a great job

Well, same thing.  It would be an url coming in from a completely disconnected system.

You asked how Ombi accomplished this so I was pointing out that it isn't the same thing.  You log into Ombi with your Emby credentials.  At that point, it is an Emby app accessing your content just like any other (with proper authentication).