LATEST MOVIES

unisoft

unisoft

1. On the Roku 3810X HDMI Stick, I noticed that on the homescreen, the "LATEST MOVIES" would either have correct folder.jpg cover art or some were the backdrop, resulting in display of a mixed sizing mess?

Doesn't do this on web client, the LG TV app for example, and when I actually go into my movies library from home screen on ROKU client, they display correctly using only folder.jpg.

Is this a bug?

Using Emby Server on Synology NAS DS2415+ v3.5.3.0

2. Also MPEG2 PAL 50hz (25 frames) is transcoded to 25p instead of de-interlaced to 50p (so motion is correct). I think this maybe because of concerns on processor overload, although this could be a sever side setting to have default of 25p (for weaker CPUs) and option to change to "Use full de-interlace (50p)" by system admin if they believe their server has good enough CPU.

I'm aware ROKU stupidly don't have the MPEG2 codec integrated even though I think its royalty free of patent costs now. And before anyone says legacy codec - its the most used video codec in the world, because of DVD and broadcasters using it for broadcasting. If you have MPEG2 DVD rips, you'd still have to transcode to get to a different codec and that can mean quality loss on an already lossy copy.

I was expecting a complete average experience on ROKU, but I must say I was impressed with the work done. Felt very slick in speed, useful information layouts on the movie/programme detail screens, the A-Z picker etc. For the home screen, I prefer the LG/Samsung app/Emby Theatre app horizontal view, but the ROKU one still looked slick against the web client version, the size of the library cards looked good, the font size etc. Well done to al those who worked on the Roku app, very good :)

Edited by unisoft
  • Like 1

1. On the Roku 3810X HDMI Stick, I noticed that on the homescreen, the "LATEST MOVIES" would either have correct folder.jpg cover art or some were the backdrop, resulting in display of a mixed sizing mess?

Hi.  Can you show me a screen shot of what you are talking about here?  There isn't actually a "Latest Movies" row on the home screen but, rather, a latest row for each of your libraries (one of which may be named "Movies").

I'm aware ROKU stupidly don't have the MPEG2 codec integrated even though I think its royalty free of patent costs now. And before anyone says legacy codec - its the most used video codec in the world, because of DVD and broadcasters using it for broadcasting. If you have MPEG2 DVD rips, you'd still have to transcode to get to a different codec and that can mean quality loss on an already lossy copy.

Also, this is being addressed. Roku has added support for MPEG2 in some of their devices. The present beta app has support for this if your Roku does.

Also, a future update to the beta app will include something wonderful I have been working on the last few days. Stay tuned. :)

Edited by speechles

unisoft

Hi.  Can you show me a screen shot of what you are talking about here?  There isn't actually a "Latest Movies" row on the home screen but, rather, a latest row for each of your libraries (one of which may be named "Movies").

Hi ebr,

I have taken a photo of the TV Screen with the ROKU app running and indicated in arrows on the home screen. It does say 'Latest Movies' - if I go into the Movies library tile, then these display OK (or from ones I have seen so far). All have primary folder.jpg of the same sort of size range and size.

5bb0e49a7708d_IMG_20180930_155142.jpg

unisoft

Also, this is being addressed. Roku has added support for MPEG2 in some of their devices. The present beta app has support for this if your Roku does.

Also, a future update to the beta app will include something wonderful I have been working on the last few days. Stay tuned. :)

wow, this sounds like an Christmas present this year :) Lets hope Roku update my stick (v8.1.0 build 4155) - it was the more expensive current one and popular.

Edited by unisoft

wow, this sounds like an Christmas present this year :) Lets hope Roku update my stick (v8.1.0 build 4155) - it was the more expensive current one and popular.

Then you sir, will get your christmas wish this year. In fact, as an early gift, please try installing the Emby Roku Beta (version 3.0 build 110) and I promise you wonderful things will happen right now. Does this correctly address issue #2 completely? :)

Edited by speechles

Hi ebr,

I have taken a photo of the TV Screen with the ROKU app running and indicated in arrows on the home screen. It does say 'Latest Movies' - if I go into the Movies library tile, then these display OK (or from ones I have seen so far). All have primary folder.jpg of the same sort of size range and size.

5bb0e49a7708d_IMG_20180930_155142.jpg

Those two items appear to be collections.  Do those collections have primary images...?

@@unisoft

Hopefully the new beta v3.0 build 110 resolves your issue?

Please report back your experience. If we were successful, please mark this thread as answered. This is how I can tell satisfaction. It also prevents thread reuse when others have an issue with a later build that has nothing to do with this present conversation. It gives them a hint they should create a new thread for their issue.

Thanks. :)

Edited by speechles

unisoft

@@unisoft

Hopefully the new beta v3.0 build 110 resolves your issue?

Please report back your experience. If we were successful, please mark this thread as answered. This is how I can tell satisfaction. It also prevents thread reuse when others have an issue with a later build that has nothing to do with this present conversation. It gives them a hint they should create a new thread for their issue.

Thanks. :)

I'm new to Emby but a long term MediaBrowser user - trying to migrate over now.

Still working some stuff out, I expect I'll be into betas in near future, for now I'll wait for official release. It sounds like a fab release coming up though :)

unisoft

Those two items appear to be collections.  Do those collections have primary images...?

So in the collection folder, it has FOLDER.jpg and when I check in Emby's meta data manager it has primary and backdrops and logos assigned to each of the collections.

The Roku on the main screen, was using the THUMB image that was in the meta manager.

Happy2Play

At least for the Roku app you are better off using the beta channel as the team can push updates as needed, since it is a private channel.  But the official app has to go through the Roku Q/A process and could take weeks, once submitted to get a update pushed out.

unisoft

At least for the Roku app you are better off using the beta channel as the team can push updates as needed, since it is a private channel.  But the official app has to go through the Roku Q/A process and could take weeks, once submitted to get a update pushed out.

I know but as still new to this - I'll work out how to join Beta in a bit once happy the other stuff is working.

Looking good so far, I've yet to get HDHomeRun 4 network tuner box so I can add Live TV. If Live TV is good, then its bye bye Media Browser 2.6.2 and Windows Media Center after years of loyal service :)

I was WMC and MB mad, recommended it to loads throughout the years, but emby is getting pretty darn good. True, I had some teething roubles with meta data from XML to Emby - but I documented that for other people on another forum topic. Should have really been in the WIKI, but it does actually migrate successfully if you know a few gotchas. So I'll get into betas in a bit, I need to walk before running, though MB usage previously has helped overall....