Browsing Photos goes back to start

happpyg

I am not sure how long this has been happening for as it never used to but now when browsing photos in Emby on my Android TV, if I scroll right through a list of photo thumbnails and click on one to open full size, when I then press back to go back to the list it goes back to first photo, it doesn't remember the scroll position or the photo you were up to in the list?

Hope that makes sense?  It only does it on Android TV, Web/IOS/Theatre and even an Android phone don't do it.  I have checked it is up to date, it says version 1.6.15G

Hopefully not something i'm doing wrong?

Cheers

Hi.  I cannot reproduce this in the beta but a lot has changed for browsing there.

If you'd like to try the beta version  you can or just wait for the next release and see if this still occurs.

Thanks.

Thanks @ebr  I installed the beta, 1.6.36g, LOVE the new vertical layout however still experiencing the same problem.   Navigate through photo folders, click on a folder with lots of pictures in it, scroll down through the photos, click on one to go full screen and then as soon as I press back to get back to the thumbnail view I see Loading in the top left momentarily and it goes straight back to the top of the list with the first photo selected (slightly larger than the others).

TV is running nougat if that makes any difference?

@@Luke Correct, the only place I see it is on my Android TV, all other clients work fine even my test Android Phone.  I can remember the Android TV working fine as I use this feature fairly regularly so guessing something has changed in one of the updates?

Thanks!

Thanks @@ebr, logs sent at 7:39am GMT+8.

Logged in as Administrator - clicked on IMG_3978.JPG and then pressing back went back to the start.  Same with IMG_3998.JPG

Also finding Emby often hangs on starting since installing the Beta, hopefully that will be in the logs too, would have been a couple of minutes before the above tests.  Restarting the TV fixes it.

Cheers!

I still cannot reproduce this...  Goes right back to the selected item for me.

I can see in your log that my suspicion is correct - it is re-loading the grid but I do not know why.

Can you show me a screen shot of the screen from which you select the image?  Maybe something will stand out.  Thanks.

happpyg

thanks @@ebr, screenshot below.

Not sure if it helps but the last time I remember this working would have been about 3-4 months ago, i've been a way working so haven't used the photos function as much as I normally would have.

5bb1ec14128fc_screenshot.jpg

maegibbons

I just tried to reproduce but unfortunately could not.

All works fine for me.

Is it filename/path related?

Or storage type?

Krs

Mark

My only guess at this point is that it is device/memory related.  But that's just a guess...

happpyg

Yeah ok, I don't have any other Android TV's to test on but i'll keep playing. 

If I can get more detailed logs or something let me know, something has changed somewhere in the last 3-6 months to break it but not sure if it was an OS update on the TV or something in the Emby app changing.

Cheers!

happpyg

I just tried to reproduce but unfortunately could not.

All works fine for me.

Is it filename/path related?

Or storage type?

Krs

Mark

Not sure, it works fine on every other client I've tried, android phone, IOS, Web client, PC, Theatre, they all work fine, just the Android TV does this and it used to work on this TV too but either a TV OS update or something changing in the app has broken it for me :(

• 4 months later...
happpyg

@@ebr - Would you have any ideas what else I can do to try to troubleshoot this?  I've been playing for months trying to find anything and have upgraded versions since as released but still this device does the same thing.  I have other Android devices (Vodafone TV's) that all work fine, all other clients work fine, it is just this one Android TV that has this behavior.  

NOTE - If I am half way through a large list of photos and I open one, I can press the up or down key to get to the horizontal thumbnail list across the bottom - that one does work fine and keeps current position, it is only if I press back on the remote (even tried other remotes and USB keyboards - all do the same) that it goes back to the start of the list straight away.

Thanks!

happpyg

I'm sorry but I'm out of ideas as I have never been able to reproduce this.

Are there any other logs I can look at to try to find any differences between this device and others?  

happpyg

Is something triggering the content to refresh perhaps?

I'm not sure Luke.  It used to work fine and I am not sure if it was an Android update on the TV or an Emby update but it started doing this after one or both, I did them around the same time back in the later 3.x versions somewhere.  

How would I check for something triggering it like you say?

I understand it is hard to help me if it can't be replicated but was hoping there would be a hint in a log or something somewhere?

Cheers!

it was a thought for @@ebr, if something is triggering the list to refresh, then it might be refreshing focusing the first item.

• Like 1

I can see in your log that my suspicion is correct - it is re-loading the grid but I do not know why.

I cannot see what is causing it to re-load and can't make that happen myself.  Which is why I was thinking maybe it was memory related - like the Android system is actually pausing and restoring an activity (although I really couldn't find evidence of that back then).

If you can send another app log I can see if anything is different with newer versions.  Thanks.

Okay, how many folders deep are we in the photo library?  Looks like maybe 4 at least?

Perhaps that is related - I'll test it out.

Thanks.