Live TV Questions/HDHomeRun

AxelAxel3
Go to solution Solved by AxelAxel3,

AxelAxel3

I am wanting to purchase the newer HDHomeRun Connect DOU. I currently have the older HDHomeRun DUAL (HDHR3-US), which is not compatible with the HDHomeRun Premium TV. So I am wanting to buy the new one. I have a few questions for anyone with experience of this. I wanted to ask before I invested all this money in it.

1. Can I use both in conjunction - the old one for the regular OTA channels, and the new one for the Premium Channels AND OTA channels? So I can basically have the four tuner without paying for it. Plus I have concerns over the 100mb connection (Use to, one channel would max that out and my recordings would lag)
  2. How does the guide work when I am using Schedules Direct? Where will Emby get the guide data for the Premium Channels?
  3. I haven't used Emby Live TV in quite some time - is there a way to make recorded videos show up in the Emby Library rather than recorded Live TV (or Both)? 
Edited by Darkstyrm

Hi, yes you can do this, and schedules direct supports the premium channels. For #3, yes, they show up in both now.

• Like 1

AxelAxel3

Oh really?? I will have to try it!! Thanks for the tip!

Question though, I have got my antenna in and turned my hdhomerun on for the first time in quite a long time. I am having horrible issues. According to HdHomeRun Signal Meter (an Android app), I am getting extremely good signal. Almost 100%, and in my past experiences, 70% or more is good. But it's cutting in and out every second. According to that app, it's using about 20mbps, and it's on a 100mb link. In my experience, copying files between 100mb links, you only get about 9-10mb. Could that be my issue? a14f79ef04fa483e52673871f75ee645.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

AxelAxel3

The HDHR3 works with premium tv. No need to upgrade.

I guess there is no free trial to test with before purchase? I can't seem to find one.

I guess there is no free trial to test with before purchase? I can't seem to find one.

Right. You can see a demo in the hdhomerun app, but you need to pay to see it in emby or plex.

You're going to need to update the firmware on your tuners and the cycle power to see it work.

Edited by garyan2

bungee91

I just want to chime in and say you should have no concern over the 100Mbit link, it is fine, and well engineered to meet the requirements for its use case.

Yes 1000Mbit is the standard, and yes it is faster, but for their use case you should not have any concerns with that causing an issue.

I have two Prime's and two HDHR4 OTA's, without any issues regarding their link speed and available bandwidth.

I just looked at the spec sheet for the upcoming Prime 6 tuner, and even that shows as a 100Mbit connection.

While I understand MP4 can reduce bandwidth, that still seems a little concerning!

https://www.silicondust.com/product/hdhomerun-prime-6/

AxelAxel3

I have no clue why, but a couple hours later, it quit shuttering all together. In fact, minus a couple little annoyances and separate issues (which I will be posting about soon), the video is working almost flawlessly now. 

But thanks for the information. 6 tuners on ONE link seems extreme - I would be interested in knowing hoe well that works. I would never have to worry about maxing that out I don't believe!

Edited by Darkstyrm

AxelAxel3

On a separate note, I went ahead and purchased the Premium TV to try on my HDHR3, and I am getting the error "Invalid email or activation code" when trying to activate :( I have opened a ticket with Silicondust, but have yet to get a response :( I am clicking the link directly and I have tried entering the info directly and keep getting the same issue.. Just wondered if anyone else has seen this?

Long story short - if there is going to be an issue - it will be me.  :angry:

Edited by Darkstyrm

bungee91

Glad to hear you got the stuttering sorted! If it continues, I'd be concerned about your switch gear, or cabling potentially causing packet loss, or general issues.

On a separate note, I went ahead and purchased the Premium TV to try on my HDHR3, and I am getting the error "Invalid email or activation code" when trying to activate :( I have opened a ticket with Silicondust, but have yet to get a response :( I am clicking the link directly and I have tried entering the info directly and keep getting the same issue.. Just wondered if anyone else has seen this?

Long story short - if there is going to be an issue - it will be me.  :angry:

As to this, I do not have the service (and likely won't as I just re-signed a cable contract), but I have read tickets on their forum of people using a different e-mail address at purchase that is designated with their existing DVR service account. Or, just stupid things like an extra space or other random issues causing the problem. Either way the support on their site seems to be pretty quick to get those issues sorted out, so hopefully that will be resolved soon.

clarkss12

Glad to hear you got the stuttering sorted! If it continues, I'd be concerned about your switch gear, or cabling potentially causing packet loss, or general issues.

As to this, I do not have the service (and likely won't as I just re-signed a cable contract), but I have read tickets on their forum of people using a different e-mail address at purchase that is designated with their existing DVR service account. Or, just stupid things like an extra space or other random issues causing the problem. Either way the support on their site seems to be pretty quick to get those issues sorted out, so hopefully that will be resolved soon.

That is exactly what happened to me.  I had two different email accounts.  Posted on the forum about my issue, and within an hour it was solved, they merged the email addresses.

• Like 1

I routinely tie up 4 tuners and about to put in another quatro just for a good cushion. The Prime 6, OTOH is a CableCARD tuner and will not tune OTA or PremiumTV streams.

Edited by Sammy

AxelAxel3

The HDHR3 works with premium tv. No need to upgrade.

After working with their support about why my license wasn't activating, they stated its because my device is too old and it won't activate with it. So guess it doesn't :( Gotta sink more money in a system i'm still not sure if it is going to work reliably :(

This device use to work flawlessly back in the day before everyone switched over to digital channels. I think it may just be too old to do everything I am wanting to do with it. Guess I need to upgrade anyway. I assume everyone else's Live TV works reliable and I have NEVER been able to get mine to despite my MANY attempts through the last couple/few years. I am hoping it due to my HDHomeRun as I have literally replaced everything else.

Edited by Darkstyrm

That's interesting. It is working on an HDHR3 I gave my in-laws about 5 years ago... at least I could swear it was an HDHR3. Are there older HDHR3's that are not capable, I wonder?

I'm sorry if I mislead you. :unsure:

AxelAxel3

Not your fault. I almost wonder if they are not even sure. To me, if that was the problem, the error wouldn't say "invalid email or activation code" it would say incompatible device or not even she the device as an option. Honestly I come closer to believing you than him, but hey who knows.

I just almost wonder if he was unsure what the issue was with the activation and that was an easy answer.

Anyways, I appreciate your time. I have been thinking, I come here for an answer a lot and move on. I appreciate the answers and the community here and I don't participate a whole bunch. I usually try to contribute to at least one other person's post when I get an answer to mine, but the community and support here is outstanding. I need to contribute more than I do!

Edited by Darkstyrm

Update the firmware on the tuner.

Reboot tuners.

Go to http://IP/lineup.html where IP is your device's IP address

Do a channel scan.

Does it now show you a bunch of additional channels marked "Demo"?

If so it should work.

• Solution
AxelAxel3

The firmware was fully up to date. The issue was the device was too old. I purchased the newest device and it activated right away. I now have premium channels.

I was aiming to post sooner, just never got the chance. Thanks for everyone's time and help!

• Like 1

Cool, glad you got it working.

I assume you flat out purchased a new device.  Did you check out the cost to have SD update/replace the unit?

Depending on age of device they often will give you a sweet deal to do this.

Might be worth checking into just to have up to date hardware.

• 2 weeks later...
AxelAxel3

Cool, glad you got it working.

I assume you flat out purchased a new device.  Did you check out the cost to have SD update/replace the unit?

Depending on age of device they often will give you a sweet deal to do this.

Might be worth checking into just to have up to date hardware.

Yes, I did. But there was a sale on Amazon at the time, so it actually ended up being the same price on Amazon vs. giving up my old device. So my plan is to use the new tuner AND use the old tuner for 2 extra tuners for OTA channels for the same money. I just want to give it extra time before I add the old device back because I had so many issues getting Live TV working right. Now its all working like a well oiled machine, so in a week or two I may add the old device. 

Looks like the sale is over now though :( 

• Like 2