Gnome3 and Emby on FreeBSD

T_Tronix

T_Tronix

I'm new to FreeBSD (prev Win10 user), had Gnome3 installed but when I installed Emby I noticed Gnome3 stopped working because the Emby installation was removing it and vise versa...Is this normal?

T_Tronix

Well when I typed this:

sudo pkg install mono libass fontconfig freetype2 fribidi gnutls iconv opus samba48 sqlite3 libtheora libva libvorbis webp libx264 libzvbi

I saw that before I confirmed it with a "Y" that it mentioned it will remove a bunch of things (most seemed gnome related).

Can you provide the full console output?

My guess is that the installations are updating a library to a new version that gnome3 does not support, and that's why this happens.

T_Tronix

Installed packages to be REMOVED:
    samba46-4.6.15
    gdm-3.16.4_3
    gnome-control-center-3.18.2_8
    gnome-shell-3.18.5_9
    gnome3-3.18.0_1
    gnome-terminal-3.24.2_1
    nautilus-3.18.5
    totem-3.18.1_3
    gnome-documents-3.24.2
    gnome-utils-3.18.0,1
    evince-3.26.0
    gvfs-1.26.3_9
    brasero-3.12.2
    file-roller-3.26.1,1
    ldb-1.1.29_1
    sushi-3.18.0_1
    gnome-shell-extensions-3.18.4

New packages to be INSTALLED:
    samba48: 4.8.2
    ldb13: 1.3.3

Number of packages to be removed: 17
Number of packages to be installed: 2

The operation will free 26 MiB.

Ok unfortunately I don't know the answer but in all likelihood this means that gnome3 and emby both share a dependency that they need to be installed on the system. Emby is probably asking for a higher version than gnome3 supports, and this ends up causing the problem with gnome3.

Of course I could be wrong, but if I am right, that means you need to either convince us to support an older version of whatever library that is, convince gnone3 to support the newer version, or choose between having one or the other installed. In linux they call this dependency hell.

Is there a way to find out what packages gnome3 depends on?

T_Tronix

Well I am all new to this, I don't really care about gnome to be honest, but I do like to have a GUI of some sort with FreeBSD :)

So not sure what others did at this point...guess no one is using this with a gui...

woodsb02

This is because the default version of samba in the pkg quarterly branch (used by default in FreeBSD) is samba46. The gnome-control-center and gvfs packages that you have installed as part of gnome3 therefore depend on samba46.

The samba48 package which you ask to be installed conflicts with the samba46 package (they install files in the same location as they are basically different versions of the same package). When you install samba48, the pkg solver realises it must remove samba46 and anything that depends on it.

Updating to the package head branch will not solve this, as there samba47 is the default - same problem.

@luke: I assume it is ok for him to just use samba46 so both gnome and emby can be installed?

Another option is to install emby in a jail, but that adds some complexities you may not be ready for...

I would think it's probably ok. And it will only be used for libsmb with ffmpeg, which you may not even need depending on how you set up your library and where your media is.

Thanks for answering !

T_Tronix

Well I managed to make Emby work with FreeBSD and it seems faster and more responsive than having it on Win10. Why I wanted Gnome3 is because I wanted to have my PC connected directly to my projector rather than streaming content, basically using VLC to watch content via HDMI port. But I read adding a GUI to FreeBSD might slow it down hence defeat the purpose...