Is there anyway to force it to stream in stereo only?

prism123

prism123

I have some media files that are encoded in 720p and 6 channel audio, but when I tried to stream them to my XBOX One they would freeze every 20 seconds making them unwatchable.  From reading elsewhere in the forum it appears that it could be do to the XBOX one not fully supporting that type of audio.  My TV doesn't even have surround sound, so is there anyway to force the MB3 server to downsample the audio to stereo while streaming it?  I couldn't fine an option like that anywhere in the settings.

moviefan

I am not sure if this is possible but just FYI I am able to use DLNA to play to my XBOX one with 5.1 and 7.1 DTS just fine.  I have had the xbox setup to just be stereo as well as bitstream DTS output.  Both work fine.

The only time I get stuttering is when I go over 10Mb/s and that is just because I am using WifI and my XB1 is not very close to the AP so this is about the best consistent speed I can get without dropouts.

• Like 1

prism123

Hmm I guess it could have been a networking issue.  When I try to transfer files from one computer to another using a homegroup for example the speed is pretty bad, signifigantly slower than downloading from the internet, which definitely shouldn't be the case.  The same file streamed fine to my phone though, but that was probably transcoding to a lower qulaity than to the xbox.

Deathsquirrel

Moviefan, did you change your DLNA profile for the xbox one at all?  When I send it a movie that has DTS-HD I get no audio at all.

BTW, the stutter at high bit rates may not be your wi-fi.  I get stuttering with files over 10Mbit/sec and the machine is wired with gigabit ethernet.  Seems to just be a video processing issue in the system.  Probably software related as I don't have the issue with blu-ray discs.

moviefan

I haven't changed any of the settings at all for DLNA.  I will give it a shot with DTS-HD with bistreaming enabled and see if that works.  I know it worked before I changed any of the audio settings on xbox.  What is your audio setting?

I suppose I could also run a really long cable for testing wired and see if I can do a higher bitrate.  Will report back when I've had a chance.

moviefan

All right so I got out my 100m ethernet cable and hooked up my xbox for some testing.

Display and Sound settings:

TV Res: 1080p

TV Connection : HDMI (auto detect)

HDMI Audio: Bitstream Out

Optical Audio: Bitstream Out

Bitstream Format: DTS Digital Surround

Color Depth: 24 Bits per pixel

Color Space: TV (RGB limited)

XB1 is connected to a Yamaha RX-v673 receiver via HDMI cable.  Receiver is connected to 42" LG TV via HDMI.

Test 1 MediaInfo:

Video
CodecH264
ProfileHigh
Level41
Resolution1280x720
Aspect Ratio16:9
InterlacedNo
Framerate23.97602
Bitrate5183 kbps
Pixel Formatyuv420p
Audio

Languageeng

CodecDCA
ProfileDTS
Layout5.1
Bitrate768 kbps
Sample Rate48000 khz
DefaultYes

Test 2 Media Info

Video
CodecH264
ProfileHigh
Level41
Resolution1920x800
Aspect Ratio2.40:1
InterlacedNo
Framerate23.97602
Bitrate15032 kbps
Audio
Languageeng
CodecDCA
ProfileDTS-HD MA
Layout5.1
Bitrate1536 kbps
Sample Rate48000 khz
DefaultYes
Subtitle
Languageeng
CodecSUBRIP
DefaultNo
ForcedNo
ExternalNo

Test 3:

Video
CodecH264
ProfileHigh
Level41
Resolution1920x1080
InterlacedNo
Framerate23.97602
Bitrate21733 kbps
Audio
Languageeng
CodecDCA
ProfileDTS-HD HRA
Layout5.1
Bitrate1536 kbps
Sample Rate48000 khz
DefaultYes
Subtitle
Languageeng
CodecPGSSUB
DefaultNo
ForcedNo
ExternalNo

Test 4:

Video
CodecH264
ProfileHigh
Level41
Resolution1920x1080
InterlacedNo
Framerate23.97602
Bitrate27749 kbps
Audio
Languageeng
CodecDCA
ProfileDTS-HD MA
Layout5.1
Bitrate1536 kbps
Sample Rate48000 khz
DefaultYes
Subtitle
Languageeng
CodecPGSSUB
DefaultNo
ForcedNo
ExternalNo
Edited by moviefan

moviefan

All of the tests above were successful.  So I was able to get it to play over 27Mb/s 1080p video with DTS-HD MA 6 channel audio.  Only in the very last case was some stuttering observed, but it was only two brief hiccups in the first 30 seconds.  After that it played the next 6 minutes without any issues before I stopped the test.

If anyone wants me to test any additional configurations just let me know.

I also tested some files that I know have 7.1 channel audio (even though MediaBrowser says its 5.1) and those played fine as well.

Edited by moviefan
  • Like 1

Deathsquirrel

I can now match Moviefan's results.  My sound issue was occurring because I gave my xbox a non-default name so the server didn't recognize it as an xbox one.  Once I built a custom profile that included the correct device name everything worked just fine.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
swhitmore

Are either of you guys using the latest dev build (Version 3.0.5230.38609)? I'm interested to know if you have the Xbox One working with the latest changes.

Edited by swhitmore

moviefan

Are either of you guys using the latest dev build (Version 3.0.5230.38609)? I'm interested to know if you have the Xbox One working with the latest changes.

Nope sorry I'm too much of a wimp to use dev versions after all the warnings I've seen in these forums.  Just Beta.  On 3.0.5211.41935 right now.

moviefan

Still works for me in 3.0.5233.40306

swhitmore

Still works for me in 3.0.5233.40306

I can't figure out why it works for you :P

Can you please post a log with DLNA logging enabled? Maybe @@Luke might be able to find out why yours works.

Deathsquirrel

After upgrading my server the play to works fine.  Didn't leave it running long enough to see if anything has changed with stuttering at high bit rates.  Honestly not sure if that's the source of the stuttering anyway.

moviefan

I can't figure out why it works for you :P

Can you please post a log with DLNA logging enabled? Maybe @@Luke might be able to find out why yours works.

I'll try to do this tomorrow.

moviefan

Okay here is what I did.....

- Turned off all MediaBrowser clients.

- Restarted Server

- Enabled DLNA Logging

- Deleted Logs

- Started Xbox

- Clicked XBOX as my Play To device throw Chrome Browser web client

- Selected Pompeii and clicked Play

- Movie played fine with some minor stuttering (I am sure due to WiFi issues I still have between AP and XBO)

I saw two logs produced.  Server and Transcode.  I have attached both.

Hope this helps.

Edited by moviefan
  • Like 1

swhitmore

Thanks mate. @@Luke did you see these logs? Might help with the Xbox One issues.

• 2 months later...
TrackZ

I am not sure if this is possible but just FYI I am able to use DLNA to play to my XBOX one with 5.1 and 7.1 DTS just fine. I have had the xbox setup to just be stereo as well as bitstream DTS output. Both work fine.

The only time I get stuttering is when I go over 10Mb/s and that is just because I am using WifI and my XB1 is not very close to the AP so this is about the best consistent speed I can get without dropouts.

It's sounds like you think you are getting real dts audio from the Xbox, so I wanted to note that you are not. The transcoding log shows that the original dts audio is being turned into low bitrate 2 channel AAC. I've been playing with xbox one a lot lately and trying to adjust the profile to try and get better codec quality from mb3 through the xbox.

Also note that setting the xbox to dts bitstream does not make it support dts hd audio or even necessarily regular dts audio. That's just the output format. Internally the xbox decodes everything to PCM to mix in system sounds. Then it either outputs that PCM directly or reencoded it again to dolby digital or dts depending on your audio settings on the box.

So what you are actually hearing in that file is the original dts audio converted to AAC by mb3 then decoded to PCM inside the xbox then lossy encoded again to dts for output to your receiver.