AppleTV PLayback stops randomly

rfischman

rfischman

Playback on apple TV seems to stop randomly.  Server continues to run as I can continue to watch the same stream on another device.  Server and ffmpeg logs are attached.

embyserver-63673344000.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-f32a00a4-4ae4-47a3-88af-078016fd7b62.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-cc151521-602b-4800-8e86-fe73fe24a063.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-7c6bd3eb-a90a-4a09-ad59-2a40a21b84db.txt

Playback on apple TV seems to stop randomly.

Hi @@rfischman --

Sorry to hear that! Can you describe what happens in the application? Does it crash? Does it return back to the detail screen?

Thanks!

rfischman

@@corey,

The app doesn't crash, it just stops playing and I get the spinning apple circle of death.  Video will freeze on whatever frame its on.  It's almost like transcoding has stopped or the client buffer ran out and hasn't been filled back up again.  The problem is I can let it sit for 5-10 minutes and it doesn't start.  Only recourse is to back out of the stream and restart it.  Note that this is on live TV not on pre-recorded media.

I also tried turning OFF hardware transcoding on my server (Intel Quick Sync) but didn't make a difference.  Hard to tell if this is on the client side or the server side, but I don't see this issue on web clients or my Android or iOS clients. 

I *DO* see a similar behavior on an Insignia TV that has a Roku player built into it, where the screen will blank out and say "Loading" but it very quickly starts playing again.  I'm fairly certain this is a Roku/Insignia issue as its not limited to just emby as I have it with any of the streaming apps on that TV as it is grossly underpowered.

Thanks!

Thanks for reporting back. We've seen a similar issue to this before with high bitrate content in the Apple player. Unfortunately we haven't been able to find a resolution. The good news is we have a new custom player on the way that should hopefully resolve this issue among many others.