Dyn discontinuing Free DynDNS service

Starkadius

Starkadius

Dyn offers a whole passel of DNS-related products, but the company is most famous for its free DynDNS service: it lets users associate often dynamic IP addresses with hostnames, as long as those users "check in" once a month. It's a boon for people wanting to slap an easily remembered, fully qualified domain name onto their home ISP connections without dropping the money to actually register a domain—and it's vanishing on May 7, 2014.

Just a heads up for people that use DynDNS with Media Browser. I am currently using No-IP so that could be an alternative for some of you.

Source

Edited by Starkadius
  • Like 1

sfnetwork

I'm using their paid service and never been happier.

I have my domain name also ans simply point to to DYNDNS hostname. On my server, the agent is keeping everything up to date.

One account can have 30 hosts if I remember correctly so I guess, if you team up with friends, not expensive at all  ;)

Been a while I used No-IP but I remember I had issues on the long run (reliability, etc..) but thing might have changed...

I think also the 30 days expiration if I don't do something in agent annoyed me as hell... I prefer to set it once then NEVER think about it..

And my ISP was really overcharging me for a static IP so...

Edited by sfnetwork

sydlexius

I've mentioned this in the past, and it's something to consider for those of you who are thinking of forking over $25/yr for Dyn's VIP product.  Over at Namecheap.com, you can get (or transfer) your own domain, enable dynamic DNS, and use a ton of DDNS clients to keep things up-to-date (My preferred method is to use DNS-O-Matic to aggregate changes out; my router support is, so I know it's always updated).  Further, they'll let you purchase an SSL cert for said dynamic domain (Almost everyone requires a static IP for that) for a decent price as well.  If you do go that route though, I suggest ponying up for 5 years, as it can be a bit of a pain to generate and install new certs.

Anyhow, in the interest of full disclosure, I do not work for them.

Edited by sydlexius

zombieagain

I just discovered that my router Netgear Nighthawk R7000 includes a free dns service through no-ip (the domain looks line whatever.mynetgear.com). I signed up for it and I haven't read anything about the 30 days expiration during the registration process. We'll se how it goes in a month. I haven't had any issues with dyndns so far and the $25 dollars a year is not a big of a deal, but if my expensive router includes the no-ip service, why not give it a shot...

For those who are considering staing with DynDNS, use the 5 year option with the "free account" coupon, brings the yearly cost down to ~$13/year.