Layouts (Apple TV on LG app) and many other items!

unisoft

unisoft

Here are observations I have found, some of which I would like feature changes considered:

General issues relevant to most parts of Emby Client on LG television app:

• Font sizes too small for top of screen menus, and Vertical A-Z picker is hard to read at distance as font too small and bigger would make page more obvious of a-z function
  • Spaces between images on Music Videos too big with titles enabled, and wastes screen space resulting in more scrolling.
  • Ability to turn off by tick box setting; Trailers, Collections, Suggestions, Upcoming, Shows (A-Z), Episodes, Favourites, Albums, Album Artists. Not ALL of these suggested as disabled, but any of these should be tick-able to enable or disable as required.
  • More spacing between the horizontal sections on the Apple TV theme in the Emby LG TV app. They are too close together and need separation between sections and bigger font size for the headings of each section to make clear intention of the section.
  • Pressing BACK on remote where you can't go back anymore shouldn't make the TV pop up its own overlay menus for apps unless at home screen
  • MEDIA INFO - this looks terrible - just a screen dump including the full file path which I doubt most people would want plastered on the screen. Could this be on a button for info, or convert to nice graphical representation rather than a dump of text info? I did custom CSS but it only removed it for web client not Android client.
  • 'People' images too large - should be smaller.
  • Config Option to prevent a user changing meta data - only want end users viewing not changing or forcing refreshes
  • The Scheduled task for 'SCAN ALL MEDIA LIBRARIES' - This wrecked my setup as data only in the Emby DB got wiped out, so had to enter genres again as this was a field not being imported from the XML add-in despite being defined in the XML by Media Center Master. Should this be actually on as a default setting, task could be there but not enabled???
  • On the web client used custom CSS to remove the customize bar which really shouldn't be there as can be found under the user icon image.

Help for new users displayed on dialogues:

This is to help new users as I had to do tests with test folders to ensure stuff wasn't being changed in media library because I wasn't sure and the WIKI did not state.

This was using the server side app on Synology NAS.

• Help put onto a Library's 'REMOVE' menu option function to state on screen it does not delete actual content only the library
  • Help put on REFRESH METADATA (Replace) stating on screen that if internet provider(s) lookup is disabled, ONLY existing local meta data files will be used for import into database.Text on item like an episode to say whether whole library will be updated or just the individual item

Movies:

• Menu option "Shows" renamed as "A-Z" (or Search icon adding free text field as well as the A-Z picker on same screen) so its immediately obvious its function is to search A-Z quickly via the picker.
  • Adding a movie "Collection" to Favourites does not work, only works on home screen not in Movies view (on web based client)
  • No menu option for Studios/Networks (like TV library has). Can this be added (maybe as a tick-able config item?)
  • 'Latest Movies' section - puts latest at end of horizontal scrollable list on TV (Apple TV theme set on server side for web client but this is in LG TV Emby app). Expect newest movies to be at front of list not at the end.
  • Despite tick option of 'grouping movies into a collection to show in the list just once', clearly not working, although the movie collection itself does display properly in 'Collections' menu option. When looking under genres or flat list of all movies, each item in the collection is shown instead of one cover art for the collection.
  • On the LG Emby app ***ONLY** (not the web client), genres is shown under Movies as square boxes with cover art from TV shows and Movies! Would expect movies cover art used only. I Actually prefer the TEXT description of genre headings as used in the web client if a user cannot upload genre cover art for each of the genre squares, but appreciate its squares so remote scrolls better than text heading references.
  • MK3D file extension support instead of just MKV
  • Movie Logo needs to go more over to the right of the screen, facing too inwards from right side in LG TV Emby app.

TV Shows:

• Menu option for "Networks" - the logo size far too large - needs to be smaller. Lots of scrolling on smaller devices like phones and just looks a bit silly that big.
  • Backdrops random when browsing media - not relevant to the view. Sometimes stuck on main menu screen from previous screen shown. Can the main screen go to a default backdrop or plain (LG APP)?
  • Ability to disable and remove links like IMDB, TRAKT etc. on the detail view of an episode. Don't want general web access links enabled.
  • Add option to server side config or under user layout options to start TV library with "Genres" view selected.
  • TV programme logos often look too small (the art picker uses the HD resolution like 810 by something). Is there some resize going on?

Music:

• Ability to have option to show 'Album Artist' as text only with albums and cover art listed under it. This is what Windows Media Center can do and it saves having to source a picture for every artist (otherwise you get a multi coloured stock graphic placeholder if you don't on the LG Emby app). Lots of artists missing from online image search function. The web client option has this by using "Folder View". I can see why the word Folder View isn't an option in the LG App as its a very dated type view, but config option to have Text List for artists/album artists would be good.
  • Backdrops do not rotate every 30 seconds or similar, whilst music playing (assuming an artist has multiple backdrops) to prevent screen burn (e.g. on OLED TVs). If no backdrops exist for an artist, can pastel plain coloured backgrounds rotate for example. Can the cover art not move to the right with description on left and then back to the left with description of right just to move pixels (Windows Media Center does this) or show the album cover art then the artist art (if exists) and repeat cycle so image changes.
Edited by unisoft

Hi, this is great feedback, just a suggestion though. If you can split your postings into one topic per post and make sure they are all in the appropriate section of the community. 

This will make it easier for others to participate and leave their feedback, as well as for us to respond to them. That means you might end up with a lot of topics, which is OK, we don't mind.

Thanks !

• Like 1

Yes, the LG and Samsung apps are identical, but it's difficult to determine here what feedback applies to the LG app vs the Apple TV app.

unisoft

Sorry all, I mean the LG app (currently 1.09) with Apple TV layout style theme set on the [synology] Server side for the web client...

Moving this to the LG section for discussion.  When specific feature requests are identified, individual topics can be created in Feature Requests.

Thanks.

unisoft

Some screen shots to describe layout that would be better on LG (probably Samsung) TV apps. Stock pics used, but it's an example that's still close:

5ba16fb49493b_lg.jpg

5ba17041e9c00_lgdetail.jpg

5ba1704f02216_lgmusic.jpg

Edited by unisoft

unisoft

Despite some layout tweaks I mentioned above, I love the LG homscreen. Hope you don't get rid of it for vertical style on home screen.

If you ever change layout styles do you inform users/customers before they take an update? Or do they just come down as a surprise?