How to refresh / rebuild database?

Tolerant

Tolerant

I use the Version 3.0.5211.28871 of MB3 and also use Media Center Master. I just went through my entire collection and refetched using MCM (which uses existing movie id's so there was no concern of getting "wrong" metadata) so that I would have more "People" images and stuff would just generally be more up to date.

My problem is that when I go into MB3 (web browser) or in WMC, and I click an actor, not all of their films are listed, for example "Gary Oldman" in "The Fifth Element" wasn't showing as one of his films. So I opened up the details for that movie and looked at the listed metadata in MB3 and noticed most of it was blank? A quick refresh of that title and the metadata fields populated. Then of course, Gary Oldman now shows The Fifth Element as a film he is in.

SO my question, is how do I refresh or update ALL of the titles in the MB3 Database without going to each single one and refreshing them one by one? I have already gone to my dashboard and re-scanned my films, but that did not seem to do the type of "global" refresh I am hoping for.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Tolerant

I think I figured it out.. I clicked "MOVIES" in the web interface of MB3, clicked on EDIT icon and changed the pulldown to add missing data only and clicked refresh. Hopefully this will do it ;)

• 7 months later...

Hi

I'm completely confused by the settings in MB3, it couldn't be more complecated if it tried. Where do you find this setting I just cant see it, where is the "web interface of MB3"??

All my stuff has xbmc  type .nfo data so I dont want it all overwritten. I think Ive set that up OK but I want to do a complete data refresh for only missing metadata for ALL movies. The MB3 help file screenshots dont look like the screen I am seeing so I am confused beyond belief . i can see I can update individually with only selected metadata but where is this option for a global refresh???

Edited by dtaylor

Hi

I'm completely confused by the settings in MB3, it couldn't be more complecated if it tried. Where do you find this setting I just cant see it, where is the "web interface of MB3"??

All my stuff has xbmc  type .nfo data so I dont want it all overwritten. I think Ive set that up OK but I want to do a complete data refresh for only missing metadata for ALL movies. The MB3 help file screenshots dont look like the screen I am seeing so I am confused beyond belief . i can see I can update individually with only selected metadata but where is this option for a global refresh???

can you show screenshots of what you think is confusing? we've put a lot of effort into making it easy. so your feedback would be helpful. thanks,.

Well heres a screenshot taken from the Tutorial for Windows

The metadata page I see there gives me the option to refresh missing images only. But on my version of MB3 (capture.png) I get a different set of options and refresh only missing images is not one of them . Very confusing for a novice/new user.

post-2943-0-25892400-1417969970_thumb.jpg

post-2943-0-79721500-1417969981_thumb.png

Yes the guide needs to be updated. But these are only settings. This is not the area where you would actually perform any operations.

in the top left, mouse over, you'll get a menu. you can browse the library using the web interface. locate the item you want to change and there will be commands to do so.

Yes thanks I can see thats how I browse the library and there are plenty of settings , but I can't see where I stipulate I want MB3 to bulk update only missing metadata.

I also now face another issue with collections. I set Collections to run automatically (I found the setting for that) after I had manually set up two. I dont understand why the first in the list (setup manually) is larger than the rest , and despite me trying to delete it wont delete,  and also why the two I set manually are not numbered in list view. I am using the CoverArt plugin yet one item uses the green cover and all the rest use blue???  Very confusing

post-2943-0-01538600-1417971714_thumb.png

post-2943-0-29779500-1417971719_thumb.png

Happy2Play

Yes thanks I can see thats how I browse the library and there are plenty of settings , but I can't see where I stipulate I want MB3 to bulk update only missing metadata.

You mean like this "Advanced Refresh"?

5484905778256_refresh.png

Edited by Happy2Play

That one image appears larger (it isn't really) because it has a different aspect ratio than the others (it is a different shape) and, instead of distorting the images to make them fit the box exactly, the web client is fitting them into the same sized area as best it can.

But, the question is, why didn't that one get the same treatment as the others?  Did you setup any profiles in CA other than the default one?  Can you manually refresh that collection and then post the server log?

Also, what are you calling a "manual collection".  Meaning exactly how did you create that one?

• 7 months later...
shorty1483

After installing, my server did scan the my movie directories with the option to first look for NFO's. The naming conventions of my movies are quite good, but a lot movies got NFO's from further times. Now I want to rescan library without looking for NFO's at 1st place. I already managed that in settings.

Now to my question:

Do I have to manually refresh every single movie in Metadata Manager to get actual metadata and artwork or is there a faster solution (e.g. deleting some files in server directory and just rescan)? It seems that refresh a folder in Metadata Manager with some movies inside does not refresh the movies on a bunch.

Thanks for answers.  

Edited by shorty1483

Refreshing the folder does refresh the contents but it may take a while and you can't see any progress for it.

• Like 1

shorty1483

Thanks m8, managed it myself today :D

Had the following folder structure:

HD Movies

----A

-------Movie 1

-------Movie 2

----B

----C

Changed it that the Movies all are now in the HD Movies folder. It seems to me that Emby just scans one folder level down from top level?

Now it works like a charm!

Edited by shorty1483

• 1 year later...

You mean like this "Advanced Refresh"?

5484905778256_refresh.png

Hi, I can't find this option. When I go to Metadata Manager and click on my Media Folder, on the left side of the screen, nothing appears on the right side of the screen. I'm using Emby Version 3.1.286.0 beta

This option still existis or is only on older versions? If exists, how do I find it?

Thanks!

Happy2Play

Hi, I can't find this option. When I go to Metadata Manager and click on my Media Folder, on the left side of the screen, nothing appears on the right side of the screen. I'm using Emby Version 3.1.286.0 beta

This option still existis or is only on older versions? If exists, how do I find it?

Thanks!

Currently no, you can from the Home screen though.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/44188-cant-edit-media-folder/

Happy2Play

This appears resolved in Stable release, but has not made it into beta 3.1.286.0 or dev 3.1.6235.2624.

I installed Stable release and it seems it is working now, although the screen is a little different from the image of this topic.

It would be great to have any info about refresh/update status progress because I don't know how I would know that the update finished. I am trying to follow-up the update by the log, but it is not an easy way to do.

Thanks!

Happy2Play

Well that image is over 2 years old like this topic and a lot has changed in time.  And some sort of progress indicator has been requested several time for Refresh status.

• 1 month later...