no TruHD sound on FireTV Cube? What is the best alternative player?

Vectra

Do I need to use a HTPC and HDMI to watch Blu-ray ripped (MKV) movies in TruHD?

I replaced my HTPC with a Fire TV Cube and Emby Premier  and now the sound is downgraded to Dolby Plus.    

I would like the Emby playback to match playing the Blu-ray on my Oppo 103 in picture and sound which I believe I was doing with my HTPC HDMI to Emotiva XMC-1 pre-/pro.

Perhaps Emby on nVidia Shield is an option?   Do any of the other streamers and Emby apps (i.e Roku) play TruHD?   I believe Apple TV won't play MKV native so it's probably not an option.

I couldn't play 5.1 .dsf music on the Fire app either but I'll probably build a NUK w/Roon for music or I might have to put my HTPC back in the HT.

https://mrmc.tv/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4206

MrMC as a client to the Emby server seems to support that, you need to turn off hardware acceleration to stop synch issues.

I have different models of FireTV in our house, testing the software on both devices, working OK so far.

I really don't like the UI compared to the Emby native one, but it passes through DD and DTS to my receiver (my receiver doesn't support TruHD so can't test for you), and plays everything I throw at it.

Edited by gnollo

Is there any reason to have the 500GB HDD Pro edition when using Emby and NAS?   I have a HTPC (built like a gaming PC) connected to LAN with big drives that contain all my movies, etc.   I just want to use the nVidia as an extender (end point) connected to my pre/pro via HDMI for movies with TrueHD and DTS 7.1 sound (and lesser formats.     It is a replacement for my HTPC.

If you don't need the space to store content or games or whatever, then, no there is no reason to purchase the larger storage.  Emby will not require or use it at this time.

• Like 1

Is the only difference the hard drive?

The differences seem to be

IR receiver

MicroSD card slot

Micro USB port

Remote headphone jack

500gb HD

Edited by Vectra