Attempting to resolve Live TV pauses on Standard Definition channels

youngster

youngster

On my 2017 Shield TV I am running the emby client app. There was a ton of pausing during live TV playing, but only on SD channels.

Curiously, all my HD channels are solid. That lead me to look for settings that applied to SD content only. I found one under Playback that did de-interlacing on the server for SD content only.  When I unchecked that, 'most' of my pausing stopped. There are still very brief pauses, but much less of an issue.

I'm not sure what other undesirable affect this will have on deinterlacing though. I figure that was checked for a reason.

Edited by youngster

maegibbons

Hi

I believe the shield will de-interlace by itself if needed which is why knocking that setting off has taken load off the server and improved your experience.

I have also seen your other post and this once again points to the fact that your server is overloaded or is not powerful enough to handle the transcoding necessary.

Krs

Mark

youngster

Hi

I believe the shield will de-interlace by itself if needed which is why knocking that setting off has taken load off the server and improved your experience.

I have also seen your other post and this once again points to the fact that your server is overloaded or is not powerful enough to handle the transcoding necessary.

Krs

Mark

Thanks Mark. I believe you must be correct on this. It is a great file server but may not be equipped to handle transcoding. 

I do find it curious that running the HDHomeRun Record Engine on that same server works fine though. All the same clients I have now are able to play content really well using the HDHomeRun client apps.

So if i want to proceed with Emby I am faced with either upgrading my NAS, or running the Emby Server on another computer entirely. Neither option appeals to me.

Edited by youngster

maegibbons

The HDHR engine ONLY has to deal with one stream type and can be totally optimised.

Emby is a general media server and has to be capable of playing anything and everything that is thrown at it.  It relys on the ffmpeg transcoding engine for a lot of this work and that is CPU intensive. (Although GPU can be used in some circumstances)

The upshot is emby is a brilliant general media server BUT it needs a capable server for the best experience.

Krs

Mark