Video quality and internet

Barrycoop

Barrycoop

I need help. I have 260-290mb/s download and 23mb/s upload. But when I streaming from a premium server I have my settings set to auto and I only be getting like 36mb/s and then sometimes I’ll get like 104 mb/s quality. Then sometimes I’ll get 5mb/s quality.So instead of auto should I set these settings up manually?

Well, you can try but, if auto is coming up with that much of a variation then there may be some bottlenecks somewhere.

From where are you trying to play and what is that internet connection like?

Barrycoop

Thanks. And when I run a speed test on my fire TVs I get 235 mb/s -250mb/s download on my 5ghz network and my shield is hardwired and I get 300 almost. So I just changed the settings via web to video quality 4K-100mb/s and internet quality 4K-100mb/s. But my concern is if emby software is smart enough to realize I’m streaming on my cellphone and of course it’s not going to be able to get that speed. I know when I had auto ticked on it did perfect on cell phone. But on my nvidia shield would I change max stream bitrate from auto to 100mb/s too?

If on a local connection we don't do a speed test at all.  We assume a high bitrate available.  However, we temper that based on hardware (and their published specs) and the Fire devices only publish support for about 21Mb/s so "auto" on the local lan is going to use that.  If you are sure your environment and the Fire can handle a higher rate, you can set it manually as you have done.