Emby upload bandwidth for remote playback ignored?

sfatula

sfatula

So, Ubuntu server, on the settings screen Playback -> Streaming, I have Internet streaming bitrate limit (Mbps): set to 1.5, so, I would expect traffic coming out of the server to be at most 1.5 Mbps. But it's not, it uses my entire 4Mbps upload speed to my remote phone, continually. 

Or, is there another setting that matters? On the device, it's set to 720p - 1Mbps. Does that override the server setting? It still exceeds it obviously.

No other traffic is leaving the server.

What am I missing? I want to keep traffic for a single device to be at most 1.5 Mbps leaving the emby server and heading over the internet.

ffmpeg-transcode-03a64d01-ceb2-4ecf-bd4c-d84b669cd32e.txt

embyserver.txt

Happy2Play

How are you determining this?  Both the log show a max bitrate of 420 kbs being used.

2018-09-10 00:12:06.719 Info App: RemoteClientBitrateLimit: 1500000, RemoteIp: xx.xxx.xx.xxx, IsInLocalNetwork: False
2018-09-10 00:12:06.719 Info App: Bitrate exceeds DirectStream limit: media bitrate: 6572005, max bitrate: 420000
  Metadata:
    encoder         : Lavf58.12.100
    Stream #0:0: Video: h264 (h264_vaapi) (Constrained Baseline), vaapi_vld, 426x238 [SAR 1904:1917 DAR 16:9], q=0-31, 292 kb/s, 59.94 fps, 90k tbn, 59.94 tbc
    Metadata:
      encoder         : Lavc58.18.100 h264_vaapi
    Stream #0:1: Audio: mp3 (libmp3lame), 48000 Hz, stereo, fltp, 128 kb/s

Highest rate in the log

2018-09-10 00:14:12.271 Info App: Bitrate exceeds DirectStream limit: media bitrate: 6572005, max bitrate: 1000001

sfatula

You are speaking bitrate, I am speaking network traffic. It's easy - I can see the traffic rate going out on Linux, and, I can see it from the router by device also. My guess is the video is encoding to at most the Internet streaming bitrate limit, however, the upload occurs as fast as possible given the speed of the transcode. Correct? So, in other words, I also need a speed limit defined in the router for the device to limit the upload bandwidth.

No VPN.

Edited by sfatula

sfatula

It is confusing to me as it says "streaming bitrate". I would have imagined this to be the something else, maybe it's just me on the wording. If you stream channels using most any app like History Channel, ESPN, whatever, they do exceed the "streaming bitrate" for their service in bandwidth utilization when first starting a video, likely for buffering a little ahead. But it doesn't last long, and, you'll see the bandwidth go to 0 for a few seconds, then it ramps up again, and back to 0, etc, and in the end, over any 10-15 second period, the bandwidth used is pretty much = streaming bitrate they use for their service. Emby seems to keep the network utilization at 100% until the video is done transcoding. i.e., it downloads the entire thing in essence. So, it's quite unlike other services we use, even Amazon. Maybe that's ok or by design. I had read previous posts about this issue, seems like it confused a few others as well, but I can't really come up with a better wording off hand for that setting.

I can make it work the way I want by simply limiting the upload bandwidth on the server to slightly more than the streaming bitrate.