Video Card Advice for hardware transcoding

Goros

Hi all, I'm in the process of expanding my flexraid media server and wanted to see what the right Nvidia card would be to help with transcoding and 4k support.

Currently I'm sitting on 80TB of drive space and have a P9x79-WS with a Xeon E7-2670v2 (10 core/20 thread) and 32GB of 1866 RAM.

My current card is a fanless GeForce gt730.

I'd like something that can handle 4k h.264/h.265 with lossless audio, all my rips are MKV lossless passthru.

What's the latest word on good/better/best Nvidia hardware to handle multiple simultaneous transcodes in 4k? I like having some headroom.

Thanks in advance.

Guest asrequested

Something to remember is that at this time, HDR metadata is lost n transcode.

How many simultaneous transcodes are you preparing for?

Your CPU should be able to do a few.

Edited by Doofus

mastrmind11

And you're gonna have to spend to get past the 2 simultaneous transcode limit on the consumer cards.  That CPU is pretty beefy, what are you trying to accomplish?

Mostly updating and future proofing. I currently use either a Roku or an Xbox one S to stream emby to tv, but will be moving to a shield pro for at least one tv.

I really only update the server hardware every 3-4 years, I'm just looking for something tested stable for transcodes when they are needed. My gt730 isn't exactly a powerhouse, but my Xbox one S chokes on 1080p streams over 25mbps, so I have to cap and transcode, even on lower bitrate streaming.

Before anyone asks its on a gig backbone, wired connection and my internet downloads and updates feed at 100+mbps, my PC to PC file transfer to and from the server is usually 125+.

I have 11.2 audyssey dsx wide/height in my main room, so I'm looking to move to 14.2.x Atmos during my next upgrade...hence the lossless rips.

Edited by Goros

Guest asrequested

Tested and stable would be to use the CPU for everything. You should try transcoding with your CPU, to see how well it does. I don't use hardware acceleration, and I have a Ryzen Threadripper 1920X.

• 5 weeks later...
chef

@ Would a card like NVIDIA Quatro K4000 handle hardware accelerated transcoding with emby?

I found one for cheap and had better ask before I bought it.

Happy2Play

That list is super helpful thank you.

By the looks of things there is a Quatro p400 which is even cheaper then the k4000 which will handle up to 4k hardware acceleration.

But limited to 2 streams.

No real need, infact most of my media seems to be direct playing to my Xbox, and if the kids have a movie on the Chromecast the server seems to keep up okay.

Say, is it typical to see brand new gtx 1080s (founder editions) on eBay for 108 bucks? Or does that seem fishy?

Also, there is a gtx 1070 TI for 98 bucks brand new. From the same seller.

Sound fishy to you guys?

Edited by chef

Happy2Play

No real need, infact most of my media seems to be direct playing to my Xbox, and if the kids have a movie on the Chromecast the server seems to keep up okay.

Say, is it typical to see brand new gtx 1080s (founder editions) on eBay for 108 bucks? Or does that seem fishy?

Also, there is a gtx 1070 TI for 98 bucks brand new. From the same seller.

Sound fishy to you guys?

The issue is see from the search I just did is all of the sellers are brand new.

Edited by Happy2Play
  • Like 1