Nas for Apple TV

quanah

Hello,

I would like to play my movies,4k h264 10bit on the apple tv, unfortunately my current pc is too weak to play the movies smoothly and I'm looking for a Nas that can.

Greetings
Michael

FrostByte

I have a Synology DS418play with added 4GB RAM (total 6GB) and Emby server is working very well on it for me.  All my media (4K UHD movies, audio, photos, etc) direct plays though except for my son and he says he has no issues when watching 4K UHD transcoded to 1080p in his room.  If you have a lot of transcoding you may want to look at the DS918+ with added RAM and I've read that having the 2 M.2 drives helps a lot.  Personally I would not go with anything lower than the DS418play if you have any transcoding going on at all.

The only other thing I use the NAS for right now other than hosting my media is I have Surveillance Station running on it for all my IP cameras.

Thanks for the answer,

some of my movies are 4k Uhds in Mkv format, some 1080p in m2ts format, so I have to transcode all movies, because no Movie is in Mov format for Apple TV
Regards
Michael

Edited by quanah

clarkss12

Dumb question, would it be better to use a low cost microPC for the server, and an inexpensive NAS for just the storage for the Emby server?