Kids Watching TV When They Should Be Sleeping

DGMayor

DGMayor

My plan for my kid is to eventually put  a TV in his room with nothing but a chromecast hooked up. He'll only be able to watch what we push to it.

• Like 1

mboehler

Hey guys.  I have a problem I hope you can help with.

Our son, who is 9, likes to stay up late and watch TV when he should be sleeping.  He is allowed to watch TV in his room until my wife and I go to bed.  When we retire for the evening, we turn off whatever he is watching, and he is supposed to go to sleep.  He often just turns it back on shortly after we go to bed, or he will wake up later in the night and turn it back on then.  Then in the morning he has a lot of difficulty getting up and getting ready for school.

I don't want to just take away his TV altogether.  What I'd like to do is restrict him to certain hours that he can use it.  Until this gets added to MediaBrowser, I'll have to find a work-around.

His PC (that only has MediaBrowser on it) runs Windows 7.  MB Server is on a machine in the basement running WHS 2011.  And the media is stored on a Synology Diskstation running DSM 4.3.  Everything is connected through a Netgear GS748T switch.

I haven't found anything in either the Server software, in the Diskstation software, or the in switch settings that restricts users by hours.  I believe my cable modem has something like that, but it onlyt restricts access to the internet, not our local network.

So I'm trying to come up with a scheduled task either on his PC or the Server that will somehow interrupt his PC's ability to access the media.

Interestingly, we don't have this trouble with our daughter.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

mboehler

My plan for my kid is to eventually put  a TV in his room with nothing but a chromecast hooked up. He'll only be able to watch what we push to it.

Now that's an idea!

shaefurr

Windows 7 has built in parental controls to set certain hours or time limits for users.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

shaefurr

Ah you beat me to it :)

You can also use the user configuration when you want to take away playback privileges

• Like 2

mboehler

I suggest that you would make a feature request, (or search the forum is there already is one) That restricts certain users during X and Y hours.

In the meanwhile, Win 7 comes with parenting controls or similar that does exactly this.

linky : http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/set-parental-controls#1TC=windows-7

There is a feature request here: http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/4935-fr-server-logon-times/

Windows 7 has built in parental controls to set certain hours or time limits for users.

I will check that out.

You can also use the user configuration when you want to take away playback privileges

Yes, but I would have to do it manually each time.  I was hoping for an automated method, kind a set-it and forget-it kind of deal.

Thanks, guys!

We do plan to add features like this at some point.

For now, I use the Microsoft Family Safety stuff (which is what the Win 7 parental controls have turned into).  They work across all Windows logins on all devices so it will also cover you for when he is old enough to figure out how to go around MB (won't be long).

Good day,

Consider nowdays the cheap prices for some brands management switch, it easy to control what is what to that ports :)

My best

WarrenH

Your router should also have access controls for individual ip addresses

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

AdrianW

You could put your Synology Diskstation on a power schedule so it powers down at night and turns back on at an appropriate time the next day.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
DeeMac

Here's an alternative solution which is more macgyver-ish than Bill Gates-ish.....

Get an power strip with a timer & configure the timer to turn on and off at whatever times you want.... per day, so weekends can run a different schedule than weekdays. 

I have this... works great!

h t t p://www.amazon.com/Globe-Electric-2450001-Outlet-Digital/dp/B0071KSMSY/ref=sr_1_2/178-0439714-7155151?ie=UTF8&qid=1401676351&sr=8-2&keywords=timer+power+strips

(BTW, some are bluetooth / wifi / iphone controlled like this  h t t p://www.amazon.com/Belkin-WeMo-Automation-Discontinued-manufacturer/dp/B0089WFPRO/ref=sr_1_37?ie=UTF8&qid=1401676831&sr=8-37&keywords=timer+power+strips)

Now, you can plug his computer and monitor, tv, whatever into it -OR- plug a switch into it and force his computer/tv to use a network cable. 

blumamba

I physically rearranged all my cable (tv type) and ran all my Ethernet cable with that specific scenario in mind for my 4 yo twins.  I know for a fact the issues that will ensue when I give in to my wife to allow a tv in the play room.  Now I am not against the tv in the playroom but I will end up in the same boat.  So I reran the all the cables that I would need to access to terminate any signals from going to anywhere in the house I don't want them to go.  Yep, it was a pain in the rear to do but, now for them to do anything they have to make that much more effort to do it since its not anywhere near the area they sleep or play.  Thus it will force them to be out in the open and get cought more often then not.  At this time, its to high for them to reach anyway and I have a few years before I stick a pad lock on it!