Emby & External DNS Resolution

solidus28

solidus28

Hello!  I'm speculating a little here, but it's the only thing I can find.  Does a local Emby environment have any reliance on resolving external DNS when trying to watch media on a local server?

Last night, both of my Shield TVs were extremely slow to start playing media.  It started when I tried to watch a couple trailers (stored in the movie folder on the server), but then I noticed it didn't seem to matter if I watched a trailer, movie, tv, or even live TV.  When I would click on something to play, the screen would go black for upwards of 30 seconds before it would actually start playing.

While that was occurring, I attempted to go to emby.media on my phone, connected via my wifi and it would not load, even though I could access other websites.  I tried from another phone and my PC, same results.  I got on LTE on my phone and the website then loaded without issue.  I attempted to reboot my router, but no change.  This morning, browsing to emby.media is fine and both Shield TVs are behaving normally again.  My assumption is that my ISP was having an issue last night, possibly DNS related.

Any of that make sense?  I unfortunately didn't grab any logs from the Shields, but I do have my Server log from yesterday attached.  I would have been starting just after 8p (20:00) I believe.  Intermittently trying shows until about 9:30p (21:30).

Thanks!

Log.zip

PenkethBoy

yep last night i had the same thing happen on my Shield

As there was a DDOS attack on Emby (see announcements) - i guess it was related to that

Needs sorting though as it a silly error should the emby domain go down that all users are affected immediately

Similar to the Premiere License failure we had a couple of weeks ago

bgh10788

It does look like there is some dependence on emby.media being available.  I had a similar issue on my FireTVs last night.  It took forever for the app to load and then once it finally did, I couldn't get anything to play.

This morning, everything is fixed.

solidus28

Ah, so it wasn't my ISP :)  Interesting I was able to access the website via my cellular network, but not my internal network.  Maybe it was cached :)

But, yeah, still surprised at the behavior.  When I have completely lost internet in the past, I haven't experienced these symptoms.  It seems like if it believes it has internet it phones home, but if it can't get to the internet it bypasses that step.

I had problems too with my Mi Box, a friend of mine had the same problem but with Kodi on a Raspberry, this only happened with those two devices. I had an old Roku 2 laying around and it worked just fine along with the web browser.

solidus28

Looking at my Server logs, looks like I had Live TV going til about 2:30a yesterday morning, then again around 7:30a.  I'm not sure any other media was played, but definitely had Live TV going a couple times within 24 hours.

PenkethBoy

Were all of you attempting playback for the first time in 24 hours?

in my case possibly

should not affect user experience in that way though

so if it has not connected in 24hrs - we have to wait 30sec for a timeout to get into our app then wait again to play the video - not good

I did some test with the Roku that same afternoon playing some fragments of a couple of movies. So no, in my case.

Although is possible that that was the first play of the day for the Mi Box.

Edited by Mibok

I mean with that same app on that same device.

The only thing I can think we could do is reduce the timeout on the validation.

What is it validating at each attempt to play media?

Device limits.  But the success is cached for 24 hours so that's why I asked the question.

PenkethBoy

So what about the two weeks thats been talked about for the server being without internet access then?

mastrmind11

I noticed the same thing, and saw the errors trying to resolve the mb domain in logs.  For me it was likely a bit over 24 hrs on the same device.

edit:  Also, not sure if it's related or not, but well after the DoS was mitigated, my live tv would not start or take a very long time to start (same behavior as when the DoS attack was happening).  I was forced to remove the HDHR tuner from emby and re-add it in order to get tv to work again.

Edited by mastrmind11

So what about the two weeks thats been talked about for the server being without internet access then?

The app doesn't even try to validate for 24 hours.  That's why the only folks that saw any issue here were ones using it for the first time that day.

If the validation is not able to complete, then we will still allow playback for a period of time.  This is why, ultimately, playback also still worked for everyone.

So, I think reducing the timeout on the validation to around 10 seconds will make this situation much better.

I don't like this type of thing at all.  "Phone home" has caused Plex tons of grief in the past and leaves a bad taste with users.

I'd suggest that clients validate this info ONLY with the server and not phone home.  This way the SERVER can validate all known clients every day and keep the 2 week grace period active.

If it worked this way then even if I didn't use Client A or B in 3 days and have lost internet it would function as normal because my server has already validated this client.

On the server you can add a box showing the last "Validation Time" and also provide a manual "Validate Now" button.

Doing this would allow EASY USE of Emby in more unconventional ways that Plex fails.  For example, RV, Car, Plane & Boat installs. Vacation homes, camping, etc.

If you have a "portable" Emby system and going on any type of vacation it would be great to be able to validate the Server right before leaving and then have trouble free client connections while offline.  Not to mention people on very spotting internet connections or work environments where emby sites are blocked.

Carlo

Edited by cayars

maegibbons

Hi

It has been discussed before.

The server is open source and hence could be modified to defeat the authentication.

The apps have to validate themselves.    How often is questionable - especially with a Lifetime Account

Krs

Mark

Maybe if the 30 seconds timeout was brought down to 10 seconds AND a message was shown on screen "Stand by validating client" or something was used it would cause less confusing during those internet outages.

That way people would know the client is doing something and it's not having an issue actually playing back content.

Something to think about.