Roku Emby channel will not play live HD 1080

GreenAndPrickly

GreenAndPrickly
I installed Emby 3.5.2.0 this week, based on Emby claim to support DVR + Roku channel DVR playback and live TV.

Installation was quick and easy.  I signed up for Premiere account soon after.    

The server is installed on Windows 10 with up to the minute updates, running on an Intel i3-540. 

TV signal is supplied by a networked HDHomerun Prime cablecard three-tuner device with latest firmware applied. Cablecard supplied by XFinity.

The Roku is model 4210X. (Roku 2 2015 model) with latest updates installed. Not the latest hardware, but reasonably fast.

Samsung 1080P TV is attached to Roku via HDMI cable.  

Using wireless N connection to router, with network speed consistently over 100Mbps. Rock solid streaming of HD movies from Amazon and Netflix. 

Emby "active devices" identifies the Roku as:

Roku 2 - (serial#)

Roku SG 3.0.97

34 fps

Emby channel has all default settings

Starting from fresh boot of the Roku, the Emby channel takes a loooong time (about 5 minutes) to load up all of the info from the Emby server. (Not unexepected. It has a lot of info to set up.) 

Once all the data is installed, the Emby channel is fairly responsive to navigate.

DVR playback works very well. No artifacts, no errors, no stoppages or jumping or whatever.  

Live TV also works well. Server CPU usage is only about 5%, virtually all of that consumed by Chrome, per Windows Task Manager. HDD usage is less than 1% when not recording.

I was also pleased to see that DVR playback while recording also worked very well. (I tried Plex a few days earlier and found its Roku channel only supports playback of completed recordings).

I was also pleased to find that live TV on the Roku while recording the same TV channel on the server used only one tuner. 

However, I am extremely disappointed to find live TV works only with HD channels that supply a 720P signal. (As indicated by the Emby log.) 

HD 1080 channels (Which includes essentially all sports channels, and several others) don't work at all with the Emby channel.

The following message always comes up:

PLAYBACK ERROR

No compatible streams are currently available. 

... contact system administrator

(I am the system administraor.  Totally clueless why this doesn't work.  Server log offers no help at all. It apparently logs nothing to do with this issue.)

GreenAndPrickly

I subsequently found the attached lines in a log after switching channels. They show the "incompatible stream" error being returned to the Roku and apparently also the channel info obtained from the Prime.  I can add that entire log if necessary, but this looks pretty inclusive.

HD Error.txt

Edited by GreenAndPrickly

GreenAndPrickly

I tried this:

Emby for Android TV/Fire TV and Emby for Roku Logs

These apps have the option to send an app log to us electronically.  You enter the settings page and turn on the "Debug Options".  Now there will be a new tile on your home page settings row labelled "Send Log".  Reproduce your problem and then use this button to send the log. 

However, after reproducing the issue, there is no "Send Log" icon that I can find.  That would be nice if it worked.

I tried this:

However, after reproducing the issue, there is no "Send Log" icon that I can find.  That would be nice if it worked.

Hi.  Did you restart the Roku app after turning on the debug options?

However, we've already seen that the server is reporting to the Roku that no compatible streams are available.  Did you disable transcoding on your server?

GreenAndPrickly

Hi.  Did you restart the Roku app after turning on the debug options?

However, we've already seen that the server is reporting to the Roku that no compatible streams are available.  Did you disable transcoding on your server?

I did not restart the app.  No mention of that in the instructions. I will try that.

All transcoding settings are default.  H264 setting = Auto, CRF setting = 23.  Thread count=Auto.  Hardware = None. 

Okay, based on the error you are getting from the server, I don't think the app log is necessary.

Please try what Luke suggested and let us know how that goes.

Thanks.

GreenAndPrickly

Can you try refreshing the guide in Emby server? Thanks.

Refreshing now. I imagine the refresh will pretty much kill my recordings for today. That maxes the hard drive for more than an hour.  (494 channels with art work galore and what not.)   

Would love to filter out most of those channel numbers, but evidently no support for that in either Schedules Direct or Emby.  Unfortunately, SD requires you to download the entire lineup.  However, daily updates are relatively quick.  The guide in Emby has terrible performance. I can't imagine what could possibly take so long to scroll the guide left and right. It is instantaneous in Windows Media Center. In WMC I can hold down the right arrow key and watch entire days go by at about 2 seconds each.  Maybe someday this capability will reach Emby?

Almost 100 music channels.  Never used.  Another 100 or so SD channels. Never used. HD channels are presented in two mappings by XFinity. One with channel numbers in the 200-800 range, the other with numbers above 1000, clustered by channel content. (sports, news, movies, etc.) Obviously need only one set.  About 50 or fewer channels would cover everything we would look at in 5 years, and maybe 5 or 6 of those are used in an average week. 

You can exclude the channels you don't want to see in two ways - both from the HDHR config app.

1) Mark only the channels you want to see as favorites (turn the star yellow by the channel) with the HDHR config app and then turn on the option in Emby to only show favorites

2) Actually disable the channels in the HDHR config app (turn the icon into a "do not enter" sign)

Then refresh the guide and only the channels you want will be in Emby.

Performance in the actual guide should be very fast though in either case.  I test with 2600 channels.

• Like 1

GreenAndPrickly

I am beginning to suspect an HDD issue. 

I presume most of the time in this guide update (which now seems to have started all over again) is updating a database. SQLite?  Nevertheless, that shouldn't max out a 7200 RPM drive should it?  Data rate is ridiculously low.  Seems to be spending time doing an awful lot of seeks.

GreenAndPrickly

You can exclude the channels you don't want to see in two ways - both from the HDHR config app.

1) Mark only the channels you want to see as favorites (turn the star yellow by the channel) with the HDHR config app and then turn on the option in Emby to only show favorites

2) Actually disable the channels in the HDHR config app (turn the icon into a "do not enter" sign)

Then refresh the guide and only the channels you want will be in Emby.

Performance in the actual guide should be very fast though in either case.  I test with 2600 channels.

Seems like a good solution, at least until the next XFinity channel scramble. I can easily do that from a different desktop, but will that mess up an in-progress guide update?

GreenAndPrickly

All is well!

I did the following:

• Stopped the gude refresh in the middle
  • Rebooted to BIOS and discovered the HDD was not set up for AHCI
  • Went through two more reboots to get AHCI working
  • Edited out channels I don't want per instructions from ebr above.  Thanks ebr!
  • Refreshed the guide

The whole Emby channel is now more responsive.

ESPN and other 1080 channels now work.  

The grid format guide pops up instantly and is also very responsive and easy to navigate. 

Very easy to schedule programs and series. 

In short, I am delighted!  

• Like 2

GreenAndPrickly

I neglected to mention in my last post that I am also extremely impressed by the level of technical support.  As a software developer myself, I am doubly impressed. 

Some additional feedback:

I notice that the server CPU usage increased to an average just north of 50% to feed a 1080 channel to one Roku.  The main consumer being the transcoder (ffmpeg.exe).  It appears to vary from about 20% to 50% with a mean of about 35%.  Clearly, if I want to support more than one channel, I will need something a bit beefier.