Questions about SSL Setup

mattykellyuk

mattykellyuk

Hi I followed the guide here:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Secure-Your-Server

Setup a domain with Freenom and completed the DNS changes. Although couldn't see, so didn't do the following section:

"You'll notice Type A records in the same section. You can remove the WWW entry. Ensure your external IP is correct. If you have a dynamic IP, you'll need to keep this updated when it changes."

I was able to download the ssl certificate and convert. Entered the details into the server settings so the dashboard displays https://yourdomain.com:port. But when I click on that link or try to connect I won't work. It says the site is not reachable and "xxxxx.xx(mydomain)’s server IP address could not be found.".

Very new to this so any guidance would be great.

Thanks

Angelblue05

I wrote the quick guide having gone through the process myself recently. You need to open the port in your router. Just to confirm, in freenom, the ip address displayed match the external ip from your router, correct?

What is your server OS? Windows? If it is, try disabling your firewall temporarily to make sure that's not blocking the connection to your server.

mattykellyuk

I wrote the quick guide having gone through the process myself recently. You need to open the port in your router. Just to confirm, in freenom, the ip address displayed match the external ip from your router, correct?

What is your server OS? Windows? If it is, try disabling your firewall temporarily to make sure that's not blocking the connection to your server.

Port is now open on the router. Do you know where the IP address is displayed on freenom? Can't see it and I haven't edited it. Is it 'url forwarding'

Edited by mattykellyuk

Angelblue05

Yes, login into your freenom account > services > my domains > select the domain you created > manage domain and then manage freenom dns. You should see everything there.

mattykellyuk

Yes, login into your freenom account > services > my domains > select the domain you created > manage domain and then manage freenom dns. You should see everything there.

Doesn't display an external IP see attached screenshot

post-758-0-48794000-1536144136_thumb.jpg

Angelblue05

Strange, you should have an A record there by default. Well create an A record, timeout 300, add your external ip as target, then save. Wait about 15-20 mins and see if your server is then reachable. That's likely the issue here.

mattykellyuk

Strange, you should have an A record there by default. Well create an A record, timeout 300, add your external ip as target, then save. Wait about 15-20 mins and see if your server is then reachable. That's likely the issue here.

Ok thanks, what should the 'name' be? my domain? This will need to be updated when it changes too right?

Edited by mattykellyuk

Angelblue05

I don't want to tell you the wrong thing heh. Mine is blank... I feel like we are missing something here. Give me a few minutes to look things up.

Edited by Angelblue05

mattykellyuk

I don't want to tell you the wrong thing heh. Mine is blank... I feel like we are missing something here. Give me a few minutes to look things up.

No problems thanks for your time

Angelblue05

I've just tried it and it let me leave the name blank. Can you take a screenshot to confirm, you can put in a fake external ip for the screenshot. I just want to make sure we are on the same page :)

mattykellyuk

I've just tried it and it let me leave the name blank. Can you take a screenshot to confirm, you can put in a fake external ip for the screenshot. I just want to make sure we are on the same page :)

Just out at the moment, will do in about an hour .

mattykellyuk

Attached is the screenshot trying to enter the external ip and one after it fails

post-758-0-56364500-1536149787_thumb.jpg

post-758-0-91853900-1536149794_thumb.jpg

Swynol

do you have a static external IP or dynamic?

if static then put what ever you want your subdomain name to be in the A record.

so emby    A Record    XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX

or if you have a DDNS. then name the A record your DDNS name

So DDNS  A Record   xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

then create a CNAME for emby

emby   CNAME  ddns.mydomain.com

should be ok then

Edited by Swynol

mattykellyuk

do you have a static external IP or dynamic?

if static then put what ever you want your subdomain name to be in the A record.

so emby    A Record    XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX

or if you have a DDNS. then name the A record your DDNS name

So DDNS  A Record   xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

then create a CNAME for emby

emby   CNAME  ddns.mydomain.com

should be ok then

Thanks I'm now getting this error though. Its dynamic by the way

post-758-0-71663700-1536160039_thumb.jpg

Edited by mattykellyuk

Swynol

ye it looks like your using a ipv6 address. freenom might not support this yet. try googling again 'whats my ip' it should say an IPv4 IP. like 86.100.100.200

• Like 1

mattykellyuk

So i have entered the above settings using the whatsmyip.com ip address, looks more like IPv4 but its not working now. Does it need time to update?