Anywhere I can see new programs in the guide?

sfatula

sfatula

This was a nice feature of MythTV. Basically, it kept a master list of all programs that have existed in the program guide. So, I can see all programs that are in the guide that were not there before. i.e., each week I would review the list (which only amounted to 40 programs or so) and decide if any of them should be recorded.

Just curious if anything like this exists in emby or not, if it doesn't, that's ok, I'll find a way. 

sfatula

Hi, we display new indicators. have you seen those?

I have not, where would I see those, and, do they indicate programs never before appearing in the guide? Can I obtain a full list of them, or, do I just see them here or there?

They would be in the live TV guide, although you may need to enable them in guide settings. No we don't currently have a way to get them as a single list.

maegibbons

Its a nice idea though.  I certainly would like to be able to do that.

Krs

Mark

Spaceboy

Its a nice idea though. I certainly would like to be able to do that.

Krs

Mark

is the SD data really reliable enough for that?

and, do they indicate programs never before appearing in the guide? 

How do you define that?  As time moves on, every program would be one that never appeared before...  Are you really talking about new airings, new series, premieres, what...?

sfatula

How do you define that?  As time moves on, every program would be one that never appeared before...  Are you really talking about new airings, new series, premieres, what...?

It's really simple. Say a program has a title of, oh I don't know, "The Flash". If "The Flash", any episodes, anywhere any time has appeared in the guide before whether I saw it or not, then, it's not a new show. If it has never ever since I installed the system shown in the guide somewhere sometime, then it's new as is of interest. You'd be surprised how useful this is when trying to not miss new shows to set up new timers. Generally, there are very few each week, most show up when new seasons of shows come out. This is easy to implement, so, I created my own PHP program to do so. I back it with a MySQL store (way overkill I know but that's what I did for a living). 

any episodes, anywhere any time has appeared in the guide before whether I saw it or not, then, it's not a new show. ... most show up when new seasons of shows come out. 

Those two statements don't seem to work together... A new season would not be something that never, ever has appeared in the guide before.

I'm just trying to understand what you are actually looking for and it looks more like Premiere which is something that is contained in most guide data.

sfatula

Those two statements don't seem to work together... A new season would not be something that never, ever has appeared in the guide before.

I'm just trying to understand what you are actually looking for and it looks more like Premiere which is something that is contained in most guide data.

They really do, been using the feature for many years!

Say I install my system today and start the guide. Say, tomorrow, "The Flash" is on and in the guide. Maybe it's season 5. Doesn't matter at all, only the title matters. So, on the day it runs, I see all brand new shows (future airings never having the title in the guide before) up the the end of the guide period. 

Now, fast forward to 10 years from now. A season 15 shows up in the guide, it is not new as the flash was in the guide the day I installed the system.

So, while it did not detect new shows with the same name, you can more accurately view it as detecting never before seen titles. Season, episode, subtitle, whatever is meaningless.

The way I used that built in feature of MythTV was to find brand new shows, premieres, whatever, that I wanted to look at and see if I wanted to try the show. 

The way it is now, how do I know new show X starts this week? I might notice it in the guide, I might not. Maybe I saw the previews 3 months ago, but it's just now starting, so, I miss it. This did not happen with the other system.

This is why I created my program to do this, it was such an important feature to me especially given I can't set up timers for things not in the guide in Emby. 

So, you are probably thinking of new season or new episodes, that's not at all what this is. This is to notice new shows. 

Edited by sfatula

We already have new programs tagged in the database we just dont have a way of getting then all in a single list. But I think as the filtering features improve you'll be able to do that.

sfatula

We already have new programs tagged in the database we just dont have a way of getting then all in a single list. But I think as the filtering features improve you'll be able to do that.

I have never seen one in the guide. I see new episodes, which is not the same thing. I even looked at a show that was brand new and it showed nothing to indicate it was new title wise. Maybe it's just in the database but not shown?

Edited by sfatula

His description of what he is calling "new" is not the same as what we show.  This is why I've been asking questions to better understand. 

We show new episodes that haven't been aired before based on guide data.

What he wants is for us to keep a list of every "show" that has ever appeared in his guide and then show a list of all the items in the guide that aren't in that list.

sfatula

What he wants is for us to keep a list of every "show" that has ever appeared in his guide and then show a list of all the items in the guide that aren't in that list.

Correct. It's really a small amount of data, you'd be surprised, only 500 titles or so for 14 days of guide data for 10 OTA channels. All you need is title and date first shown. Anything else is just convenience. If the date first shown is > now, then, it's a first showing for that title. Only add records, never update them. So, coding wise, it's super easy.

It's not that simple. The guide data has dedicated properties to indicate a program is new. That's what we go by.

sfatula

It's not that simple. The guide data has dedicated properties to indicate a program is new. That's what we go by.

My php program to do this, counting parsing the xmltv file, is 91 lines, including comments and some error handling, and allowing reruns. It's pretty easy!

I think you still misunderstand. New is great the way you have it, I have zero complaints about that and it should not change, it's fine as is. What I am speaking of is a new report or function in addition to what you have. In no way shape or form should the guide change.

Now, understand I just started this so every program is currently new (until next week, by my definition), but my output looks like this. It's emailed to me weekly so I can review and quickly find and set up any new timers I may need to. I cheated and didn't try to extract the guide data out of emby since my input is xmltv anyway. 

Channel    Start               End                Title                       

12.2 UXII  2018-09-03 17:00:00 2018-09-03 17:30:00 How I Met Your Mother                                       

12.1 KXII- 2018-09-03 17:00:00 2018-09-03 17:30:00 News 12 @ Five                                              

12.3 FXII  2018-09-03 17:00:00 2018-09-03 17:30:00 DailyMailTV                                                 

46.1 PBS   2018-09-03 17:00:00 2018-09-03 17:30:00 BBC World News                                              

Ok right yea we don't have a reporting function like that although it could be a nice addition the to emby reports plugin.

Guest asrequested

For those of us with 400-600 channels, that's a hell of a lot of data to go through. Some of these IPTV providers have thousands of channels.

• Like 1