Won't connect to server

Sindi

I get an error message.  Says something about being time out  waiting for response from the server.  Tried multiple times but same result.  Not a good omen for my first try using this.

Are you connecting to the server you set up over your local network or from another location?

Not sure what you are asking me. I am connecting to the wifi network that my computer connects to is all I know.   I connect through my Roku which connects to my wifi network.  It is always the same for everything on my Roku.

Do you mean my Roku?  If so it connects to my tV with HDMI cord.

I am also having some kind of problem with signing in.  It says "connect to server" and there is a number below it which I type in and then get this error message.

Connection Failure
We're unable to connect to the selected server right now. Please ensure it is running and try again.
Got It

Connection Failure
We're unable to connect to the selected server right now. Please ensure it is running and try again

Everything seems to have something to do with a server which I have no clue what it is?

Is it my Roku?

Is it my computer?

Wish I knew what all this meant.

the TV give me a server error and now my computer also give me a server error message.

WIsh there were some videos or something that explained how to work this thing.

ryandavidg

Have you set up a server though, for example on your pc linked to your media collection? If you haven't set up a server (or perhaps been invited to connect to a friend's server) there will be nothing to connect to. Emby is software which allows you to view and share your media on different devices and locations, it's not a content provider.

I would download the server software to your pc and set up a library of your media, then your Roku can connect to that server.

Guest asrequested

Everything seems to have something to do with a server which I have no clue what it is?

Is it my Roku?

Is it my computer?

Wish I knew what all this meant.

the TV give me a server error and now my computer also give me a server error message.

WIsh there were some videos or something that explained how to work this thing.

Emby isn't a service. It's software that manages your media. Do you have movies and/or music on your computer, that you want to watch or listen to?

Please check out our quick start guide:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Quick%20start

Thanks !

i checked this out and downloaded whatever it told me to do.  Didn't see any difference on my computer as it still just shows me all my movies but when I try to go to Emby with my Roku my tv screen still just shows "timeout waiting for a response from the server:.  So I then try selecting New Server but still the same error.  Nothing works.

My movies play on Emby on my computer but not using Roku.

Did you enter your server address into the roku app? If so, what did you enter?

Little confused with this as my system info for Roku shows I am connected to IP address 192.168.0.6 which is the network for everything I use Roku for.  I never have to change this.

Everything looks good with Emby as this is what I am seeing on Dashboard:

Emby Server is up to date

Running on http port 8096.

In-Home (LAN) access: 192.168.0.9.8096

for active devices I am seeing Chrome emby mobile (3 times) Just wondering if I should also be seeing Roku here????

Tech support with Roku has also been trying to help me and they are wondering also if there is somewhere I should be able to add Roku?

I have my complete movie library also loaded into Emby.  I guess the only thing missing is the connection from Roku to Emby?

When I open Emby on my Roku is where I get the Select Server page

Here I select my laptop. 

next page shows my laptop and under it says "sign in to Laptop S........

Then next line is HTTP://192.168.0.9.8096/emby

THEN:   Please select a user  to sign in as or select "Manual Logn" if the use is not listed here.    (there is nowhere to select a user or even to select manual login)

THEN: Go back to select a different server or to sign in with Emby Connect

Whatever I try to do just gives me the error timeout  waiting for response from server

This is a long comment but maybe it will explain more precisely what is happening.

Sounds like maybe the firewall on your server is blocking access.

Can you try using the web app from a computer on your network other than the one running the server?  Can you reach it from there?

I don't know what I did but all of a sudden where it said about servers, I saw my name.  I clicked on it and got on.  Didn't last for long though as the next time I tried it was exactly the same and my name was missing from the servers.

I went to another computer and also a different Roku but it does not work there at all.

I am almost back to the beginning again.

I did notice one thing.  One of my Rokus is listed under devices on my dashboard.  How do I list them also.

Not sure I am going to be happy with Emby as I really hate going to a computer to enter a pin code everytime I need to sign on.

I did notice one thing.  One of my Rokus is listed under devices on my dashboard.  How do I list them also.

They will show under Active Devices when they are active. They will always show in the Devices tab.

really hate going to a computer to enter a pin code everytime I need to sign on.

Why do you feel you need to do this every time.

Have you explored the settings in the app to control auto-login behavior?

They will show under Active Devices when they are active. They will always show in the Devices tab.

Why do you feel you need to do this every time.

Have you explored the settings in the app to control auto-login behavior?

I would if I knew how to do this.

Have you tried going into the Roku app settings to configure auto-login? You can get to settings from the home screen of the app. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.