Embedded Metadata, Release Date

sfatula

sfatula

So, I have a set of videos that I download, and, those videos are not in any metadata database. I have embedded metadata in those mp4's, and, it brings in the correct title, overview, genre, but it does not bring in the release date. I want to sort the recordings by release date. The release date seems to be not mapped maybe? So, the issue is this - videos are not necessarily added on the date they are created. However, I have the correct date, and, for Plex, it was put in the tag for "year" (which has a dual defined purpose). You can see that here:

http://www.linuxcertif.com/man/1/AtomicParsley/

I want to be able to get the date into one of the metadata fields in emby, without one by one adding it each few days. I can't use date file is created, since, it's not necessarily one each day, sometimes a day is skipped and then 2 days show up. I therefore can't use the date scanned either. Seems like an embedded release date is ideal, however, it appears emby doesn't bring up any of the tags in the mp4 file perhaps?

It appears embedded the date in the filename doesn't do anything either.

These are for a library of type "Home Videos". 

Any suggestions (other than creating nfo files)?

Hi, we do already supported embedded metadata. If you can supply a sample video for testing i'll try it out. Thanks.

sfatula

Be happy to, but, I do not wish to post it publicly. What is the best way to get it to you? I can put it up on a cloud and give you a link, but again, just don't want it public. So, how can I get you the link privately?

Thanks very much for the response! Quite a bit different than the other guys...

PenkethBoy

add the release date to the year field and it will be imported - might need a refresh metadata if already added to Emby

done this a lot so it works

sfatula

add the release date to the year field and it will be imported - might need a refresh metadata if already added to Emby

done this a lot so it works

The year is in there, it imported fine in Plex. The format I am using is (from AtomicParsley):

Atom "©day" contains: 08-30-2018

Do you use a different format? Are you using this for an other video folder?

I am going to take it back, it did work. I am pretty sure I refreshed all metadata, maybe I didn't wait long enough. Sorry guys.

Curiously, the date added is 1901-01-01. Even after a refresh. Not sure why. I have it set to use the file creation date, however, there is no such concept on Linux. Not sure what date it is actually using. I see:

stat 5828857959001.mp4

File: 5828857959001.mp4
  Size: 1400889858 Blocks: 2736128    IO Block: 4096   regular file
Device: 802h/2050d Inode: 132393      Links: 1
Access: (0664/-rw-rw-r--)  Uid: ( 1000/ sfatula)   Gid: ( 1000/ sfatula)
Access: 2018-08-30 16:56:43.695384830 -0500
Modify: 2018-08-30 16:56:37.599348341 -0500
Change: 2018-08-30 16:56:39.991362588 -0500
 Birth: -

Note group sfatula is added as a secondary group to user emby:

groups emby
emby : emby video sfatula

Note the file plays fine, etc., so it can definitely access it. Even changing to date scanned into library shows the 1901 date. Weird.

So, refreshing metadata never changed the date. What I did was copy the file (cp -a) elsewhere, deleted it out of emby, and copied the file back. Date is now fine.

FYI - loving the hardware accelerated transcoding, it's fast!
Edited by sfatula

PenkethBoy

i use 2018-08-31 in the year field for video/episodes etc and it gets picked up

make sure you do not have more than one Year field in the metadata for the mp4/mkv file

sfatula

I never got a sample file from you but penkethboy's advice should also work. Thanks.

I'm just living with it. The release date does seem to work which is what matters to me. The data added however typically shows 01/01/1901, no idea why. But I don't use that date, so, not sure it matters. That is not the date on the file, see a previous post for the stat of a sample file. This is only true for stuff I am adding manually that I downloaded and where the rest of the data comes from the tags in the mp4 file. 

Edited by sfatula

• 2 months later...
sfatula

On October 25, embedded "desc" tags in the mp4 files stopped working. These used to show up in overview in metadata. My files have this tag, did before that date, did after. Mediainfo shows the Description metadata embedded. So, here's what appears to be happening. This is in a folder of type home video and photos. A file with embedded metadata is moved there each weekday. When they move in, the overview as shown in edit metadata is blank, and that description doesn't show up in emby client. If, however, I hit refresh metadata for a given video with a blank overview, it then shows up. This info is not available anywhere except the embedded tags. So, obviously the tags are correct, yet, upon initial add to the library, it does not add them. I don't want to have to hit refresh every time a video is added. Might there be a setting somewhere that might cause this, perhaps I changed a setting?

My Date Added fields still say 1901-01-01 also. Date Added is supposed to be file creation date which is what I set in settings, which obviously is not that date. Is it because I am using ext4 filesystem perhaps? See:

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/50177/birth-is-empty-on-ext4/50184#50184

On the settings screen for date added behavior for new content, it says "If a metadata value is present it will always be used before either of these options.". What metadata tag would be used for date added, can I embed something in the video to set that?

sfatula

Ok, so, date added without an nfo file is still 1901-01-01, which is not the date added of course, so, why?

You didn't respond to my overview (description) issue as well?

Check the date created timestamp of the file.

Regarding description I just tested this and could not reproduce. It is still being pulled from embedded metadata just fine for the sample files that I have.

sfatula

You tested it in a home video and photos library? And you tested by simply copying a file into that library with embedded tags, and, realtime monitoring just to be clear, and you get a description? You do not have any other metadata grabber, and the file is not something that would match to anything in any database? Such as a home movie. 

What setting might affect this? It was working before October 25, yet, not any more, but just for the description (overview), the other tags like release date work fine. And, a refresh works fine, indicating it's a problem on the initial scan of the file for metatags. Is there some debugging I can turn on to help with this, see nothing in the logs?

Regarding the date added, did you read my link to stackexchange? There is no date created on ext4 linux near as I can tell. 

Sent PM with sample file and what scenario to test. This is really hurting our Emby install as we can't see descriptions of the content.

Edited by sfatula

Happy2Play

What server version?

I tested on Windows beta server with sample file and test scenario provided (drop file in Home Video library allow Realtime monitoring to find file).  Didn't have any issues.

nfo created, took out mediainfo and art.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="yes"?>
<movie>
  <plot>Pastor Erwin Lutzer issues a call for the Americans waging the culture war. Plus, a wrestler goes down for the count. Watch what gets him back in the ring.</plot>
  <outline />
  <lockdata>false</lockdata>
  <dateadded>2018-11-04 15:08:18</dateadded>
  <title>5856357637001</title>
  <year>2018</year>
  <premiered>2018-11-01</premiered>
  <releasedate>2018-11-01</releasedate>
  <runtime>51</runtime>
  <genre>Religious</genre>
</movie>

5bdf8017e2412_Homevideo.jpg

Edited by Happy2Play

sfatula

Xubuntu 18.04.1 LTS, Emby server version 3.5.3.0, ext4 partition, real time turned on.  Obviously, very simple, have file, put in folder. Done. No overview in metadata. 

So, the question is, how to debug? Obviously it doesn't help me that it may work for you, who may or may not have simulated real time and ext4 on xubuntu 18.04.1. I merely want it to work for me, and it doesn't. 

Edited by sfatula

Happy2Play

Xubuntu 18.04.1 LTS, Emby server version 3.5.3.0, ext4 partition, real time turned on.  Obviously, very simple, have file, put in folder. Done. No overview in metadata. 

So, the question is, how to debug?

I will test on current stable 3.5.3.0 release as it may just be a 3.6 release improvement.

sfatula

What can I provide to help figure out what is wrong? Turn on debug log, would that show any useful info?

This needed to be in a other video and photo library too....

Happy2Play

With my test to me it is resolved in the next release 3.6 as I got weird display added date and no overview from realtime monitoring but the created nfo was correct on 3.5.3.0.

sfatula

Aha, so, same results as me on 3.5.3.0 then, which is good as that means it will be resolved. I was not creating nfos, but am now for these videos. 

Happy2Play

Aha, so, same results as me on 3.5.3.0 then, which is good as that means it will be resolved. I was not creating nfos, but am now for these videos. 

I could test but in theory the same info should be written to database when not creating nfos.

• 3 months later...
sfatula

Ok, so, on 4.0.2, and, no difference at all! To restate my OP since things have changed a little since then,

mkv file, downloaded, embedded metadata added via ffmpeg command line switches (-metadata title, -metadata description, -metadata DATE, -metadata GENRE)

Videos show date added 12/31/1, title does show, description does not. So, it's ignoring description and date

HOWEVER, merely going into emby and saying refresh metadata for this item, and, description and date are now correct, so, that would indicate the format is not wrong. Those recordings have no metadata on the internet, it is not matched, and it's home video folder anyway. The library type is home videos and photos. Prefer embedded titles over filenames is checked (filename I used is an integer number.mkv). Enable realtime monitoring is on. Saving to nfo is on, and, the nfo has the correct premiered and release date even though the gui shows 12/31/1, however the plot shows empty in the nfo (until refresh metadata). 

This really messes things up for us as it totally confuses the wife. The date is wrong, sort is wrong, can't tell which file has which content since there's no descriptions, etc. She doesn't want to refresh metadata, doesn't know how and doesn't want to learn and shouldn't have to. It's been over 6 months since it was reported. 

It is not fixed. Still xubuntu, 18.04.2, ext4, realtime monitoring. What can I possibly provide to help out with fixing this issue?

In the meantime, do you think disabling realtime monitoring and maybe an hourly scan would likely resolve this until it can be fixed?

Edited by sfatula